2019 Toyota Supra - First Prototype Spotted! Photos & Video Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wally World

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
--
^ True tho that's because lack of rear seats and a nearly non existent rear overhang/trunk. Many 2+2 sports coupes have the same general shape but I agree it obviously shares more with the FT-1. Look at that nose. That's not a BMW look at all.

Compare it to the FR-S and it screams Toyota. In fact it could easily be mistaken for a modified FR-S and I've seen that mentioned.

2015-Scion-FRS-side.jpg

2018-19-toyota-supra-6-jpg.jpg

avat2v

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Civic V12?
I'm a toyota fanboy but I'm disappointed if that's a real supra.
I bet it's the SFR, just like the previous comment, it's too small even they said it's gonna be 10% smaller.
attachment.jpg

SFR has some ducktail too.
because my brother works in BMW and has a couple of colleague who works in toyota, he said the SFR will come out before supra.

but look closely to the command center, seems too high tech for SFR.
toyota-supra-14-jpg.jpg

but those sticks & light switch looks european.
maybe this is the true supra, for me this is the degradation of supra, just like RX7, mazda made it smaller & less cool.

this is just my opinion.;);)

adprokid

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
--
I bet it's the SFR, just like the previous comment, it's too small even they said it's gonna be 10% smaller.
attachment.jpg

because my brother works in BMW and has a couple of colleague who works in toyota, he said the SFR will come out before supra.

toyota-supra-14-jpg.jpg

maybe this is the true supra, for me this is the degradation of supra, just like RX7, mazda made it smaller & less cool.

S-FR VS Miata dimentions
attachment.jpg

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
in my opinion, the prototype is too big to be the SFR.

FRS-Man

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hot Lava FR-S
I'm probably missing something but what does the S-FR have to do with BMW? Lets not forget this was seen coming in and out of the M Test Center in Germany.

Besides I thought they axed that project?

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
I'm probably missing something but what does the S-FR have to do with BMW? Lets not forget this was seen coming in and out of the M Test Center in Germany.

Besides I thought they axed that project?
Most likely nothing. avat2v is just stating that he thinks the car that has been spied is the production SF-R.

I'm a Supra owner. I'm not disappointed in the size or portions (IMO, it does seem to be proportional to the MKIV, see quote below), but rather disappointed that Toyota did not do this in house. But it is what it is, no point in staying upset about something we have no control over.

I believe Tada san was quoted saying the sub 86 car will come after the new Supra.

Also, you do know the official BMW and Toyota press release has stated they are working on a midsize sports car. The SF-R (157 in) is a sub compact sports car ;)

Yes, 10% smaller than the concept (184.1 in) which was built on a rolling Lexus RC chassis (184.8 in).

Finally, on pretty much every car forum that I have ran across; there are a number of people that have said the prototype "looks too small to be the new Supra".

The last generation of the Supra (177.8 in) was never a large car like a Mercedes CL (199.4 in) or a Lincoln Mark VIII (206.9 in). It is just 10.9 inches longer than the 86 (166.9 in).

BRZ used as example

q422E.jpg

Last edited:

__WRC__

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
325i
Finally, on pretty much every car forum that I have ran across; there are a number of people that have said the prototype "looks too small to be the new Supra".

The last generation of the Supra (177.8 in) was never a large car like a Mercedes CL (199.4 in) or a Lincoln Mark VIII (206.9 in). It is just 10.9 inches longer than the 86 (166.9 in).
Great point my man. I think everyone's expectations of size has been thrown off because of how big they made the concept car (which they said they did in order to have more stage presence if I remember correctly). I'm glad the actual production Supra MKV is reasonably small. It's supposed to be a true sports car not a GT sports car. :headbang:

FRS-Man

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hot Lava FR-S
Most likely nothing. avat2v is just stating that he thinks the car that has been spied is the production SF-R.
Yea that's what im saying. If that is the production SFR why was it spied coming out of the M Test Center? Also I think the camo is making it look smaller than it really is.

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
Great point my man. I think everyone's expectations of size has been thrown off because of how big they made the concept car (which they said they did in order to have more stage presence if I remember correctly). I'm glad the actual production Supra MKV is reasonably small. It's supposed to be a true sports car not a GT sports car. :headbang:

Agreed, and yes you are correct. As much as I love the concept I wish Toyota would have never shown them to the public.

1. As you stated it is pretty big, so normally there are going to be a number of people expecting a production version to be around the same size.
2. The overall design is very bold. Unfortunately I don't think the finally version will be as wild as the concept. But I think it is still going to look good. I just know a lot of people are going to be disappointed that it doesn't look 100% like FT-1, and make comparison between to the two.

X2, I think it will be slightly larger than the 86.

Loyo911

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
X5

Agreed, and yes you are correct. As much as I love the concept I wish Toyota would have never shown them to the public.

1. As you stated it is pretty big, so normally there are going to be a number of people expecting a production version to be around the same size.
2. The overall design is very bold. Unfortunately I don't think the finally version will be as wild as the concept. But I think it is still going to look good. I just know a lot of people are going to be disappointed that it doesn't look 100% like FT-1, and make comparison between to the two.

X2, I think it will be slightly larger than the 86.
The FT-1 Concept was a double edged sword for Toyota. It got so much attention back on the Supra name after many years hiatus, but on the other hand it set such high expectations that's hard for any production car to meet.

Sabreson

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Maxima/Future Supra
The FT-1 Concept was a double edged sword for Toyota. It got so much attention back on the Supra name after many years hiatus, but on the other hand it set such high expectations that's hard for any production car to meet.
Yup and that's why they didn't call it a Supra concept. Calty was allowed to go nuts with their imagination and really exaggerate the features and Toyota's design language.

The company is not in the habit of creating concepts for actual production vehicles that are completely wild and unrealistic, which is exactly what the FT-1 is. Just look at the FT86 concept.

adprokid

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
--
Same thing with Mazda
Mazda-RX-Vision-Concept-front-three-quarter-02.jpg
mazda-rx-vision-07.jpg

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
i actually don't think Mazda's RX concept is that crazy. IMO it is very clean and simple. the rear isn't super wide unlike with the FT1. the front end looks like it has elements that are already on existing Mazdas. on the other hand Toyota's car has this huge nose that everyone knew would most likely have to be way watered down for production. the Mazda also doesn't have a ton of air vents like what we see on Toyota's concept car.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.