2019 Toyota Supra Prototype Reveals Production Intent Design/Parts

Who do you think is behind the wheel of the Supra?

• White guy

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • Asian guy

Votes: 23 63.9%

• Total voters

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
^ if that's the case don't badge it a Supra.
indeed, toyota should have distanced the supra name from this project from the start..but then again then they probably wouldn't generate as much hype...meh, still don't understand how any of you were "excited" that toyota's only halo nameplate will actually be a bmw
Sponsored

Stanri010

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
IS300
indeed, toyota should have distanced the supra name from this project from the start..but then again then they probably wouldn't generate as much hype...meh, still don't understand how any of you were "excited" that toyota's only halo nameplate will actually be a bmw
Well, it's going to be an expensive car. Considering the BMW Z4 starts at 50K, that sets the bar for how much the new Supra is going to cost. Sure Toyota will probably be cheaper than the BMW but they can't undercut them THAT much. It is still going to be a halo cost car for Toyota.

Taking a step back, when you think about it, BMW accels in driving dynamics, chassis, and suspension tuning - all of which is probably under their scope. Toyota is known for reliability which should be the powertrain and all of the interior and wiring bits. That would produce the best of both worlds. IMO. Though, I will be livid if I wont be able to take apart the entire car with a 10, 12 or 14mm socket wrench. Imagine finding a torx screw on a Toyota...

There's still some chance that the engine and interior is going to be from Toyota. You guys make it sound like a JDM-ish BMW M2 with Toyota reliability is a bad thing :D

Last edited:

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
First time I see both cars I think. Maybe one is running BMW I6 and the other the Toyota V6. Toyota still hasn't decided what to go with lol. Probably 1 hybrid and the other non.
yes, it would appear this is the first video showing both getting tested together, but none of the clips actually showed the two mules being filmed at the same time...it almost seems like the clip showing the mule with the blacked out wheels was artificially interested in. It is on a different track and the amount of sunlight was different from the clips before and after it.

Last edited:

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
Well, it's going to be an expensive car. Considering the BMW Z4 starts at 50K, that sets the bar for how much the new Supra is going to cost. Sure Toyota will probably be cheaper than the BMW but they can't undercut them THAT much. It is still going to be a halo cost car for Toyota.

Taking a step back, when you think about it, BMW accels in driving dynamics, chassis, and suspension tuning - all of which is probably under their scope. Toyota is known for reliability which should be the powertrain and all of the interior and wiring bits. That would produce the best of both worlds. IMO. Though, I will be livid if I wont be able to take apart the entire car with a 10, 12 or 14mm socket wrench. Imagine finding a torx screw on a Toyota...

There's still some chance that the engine and interior is going to be from Toyota. You guys make it sound like a JDM-ish BMW M2 with Toyota reliability is a bad thing :D
Oh I know, I have brought up the $$ question several times. People think we're going to get a $30-50 K USD car but that is a joke, they forget how the MK4 TT Supra was more expensive than most of its direct competitors in the 90s and that the current Z4 barely starts at $50 K like you said (with only 240 HP mind you :headbang:). The more BMW adds to this project, the more expensive this will be...just because it is going to be badged as a Toyota doesn't mean BMW will be giving us a discount. To be fair, the $40-70 K coupe class is a difficult one since you still have to give up in some particular aspects of the car which is probably why Honda and Nissan bumped their halos to the 6 figure mark.

I get how great BMWs are (older ones yes, not newer ones where they aren't #1 in any particular quality), there is no doubt about that....the concern is what we would be buying into...with the 86/BRZ project, you buy the same thing between Toyota and Subaru, their one intended outcome, whereas this is BMW giving Toyota & us consumers what they deem acceptable without hurting their own brand or lineup. Just like how Mazda didn't give Fiat their latest transmission, we've all speculated it is the N55 in the Supra especially considering the interior pics showed a redline of 7000..BMW holds out on their best equipment. Still I pose this question, would BMW fans be happy if their next gen M3/M4 was actually a rebadged Toyota? I don't think so.

I'm with you about working on the car...I do everything on my own with the 86 so that aspect will be important for me too. As far as the engine, who knows...I still have some belief that Toyota will have their own engine as an option, but they aren't changing the interior and I'll bet that a BMW engine will be part of the lineup so I'm not sure where the Toyota reliability will come into play here.

hoping the reverse jynxing works :popcorn:

Last edited:

Soupraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Lexus RC F | 2017 Lexus IS300 F Sport| 2006 Tundra Double Cab Limited |2009 Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Is it me or did it seem the older test mule (with blacked out wheels) stuck that corner at 1:20 a bit better than in the previous winter test videos of the other prototype? Looked to me like some power applied to front wheels?

Sun Devil

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
current: 2016 Audi A7 . Past: 996TT,997cab, 997TT, R8 V10, 13 FR-S
Cross sharing is a reality now days. I personally like both Toyota and German engineering. I've owned many Toyotas ranging from 4X4s to Celicas and most recently the FR-S. I've also owned many German cars. For myself personally .... I would prefer the inline 6 turbo N55 motor since it's a proven commodity and I love revs in the high 7's.

Hopefully there will still be a manual option. Manuals in nice sport cars are sought after. I want one badly.

As for price. 50-60K. At this price it competes with the corvettes. Any higher and it will compete with slightly used Caymans,boxsters, 911s.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150

agreed its not going to be cheap. awhile back they have hinted at a $50k-$60k price tag.

i think modern day Toyota interiors are kinda meh. my mom is having huge issues with her 09 Camry and 07 RX350. the dash are cracking and getting sticky. both have been recalled, but still nothing after 2 years.

x2, they could have teamed up with a worst German automarker (Audi).

Last edited:

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^ yeah I agree. That's the 1st proto type (possibly hybrid).

I noticed the headlights are different when the car is driving in. Possibly production ready and they're covering the lower LED strip. You can see a better glimpse at 0:30 & 1:43.

jm6k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars
I told myself my E60 545 would be the last BMW I would own, but maybe the Toyota Supra will be the last. :p

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7

MotorFF

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Blacked out wheels proto definitely seemed like to corner a lot better, with less slip. would not be surprised if yes electric motors are powering the front wheels on that one.

MotorFF

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hopefully entry will come with N55 6cyl single turbo and top spec with the Toyota V6TT hybrid :).

jm6k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
I loved the thing, but it was just ridiculous to maintain. The guy before me and the guy after me had to replace the transmission, first at 50k and then at 105k.
Yikes, how much did that cost? I really like the way it looked. I actually prefer it to its Mercedes counterpart at the time the W211. But when it came down to it the endless maintain cost was becoming costly. We ended up not fixing the E60 and picked up a one owner E500 with 34k for less than quoted repair bill.
Sponsored

Last edited: