Featured Another winter testing video in Scandinavia showing both Supra prototypes

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by NYC_Supra, Feb 8, 2017.

Feb 8, 2017
  1. NYC_Supra New Member

Featured Threads:
    Car(s):
    93 Supra +3
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    gymratter and Supraman like this.
  2. Feb 8, 2017
  3. Supraman Active Member

Car(s):
    IS300 / Xterra
    First time I see both cars I think. Maybe one is running BMW I6 and the other the Toyota V6. Toyota still hasn't decided what to go with lol. Probably 1 hybrid and the other non.

4. Feb 8, 2017
  5. HKz

HKz Active Member

Car(s):
    FRS
    yes, it would appear this is the first video showing both getting tested together, but none of the clips actually showed the two mules being filmed at the same time...it almost seems like the clip showing the mule with the blacked out wheels was artificially interested in. It is on a different track and the amount of sunlight was different from the clips before and after it.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  6. Feb 8, 2017
  7. Soupraman

Soupraman New Member

Car(s):
    1992 Supra Turbo | 2006 Tundra Double Cab Limited | 2009 Lexus IS250 AWD | 2009 Triumph Sprint ST 1050
    Is it me or did it seem the older test mule (with blacked out wheels) stuck that corner at 1:20 a bit better than in the previous winter test videos of the other prototype? Looked to me like some power applied to front wheels?

Supraman likes this.
  8. Feb 8, 2017
  9. Supraman Active Member

Car(s):
    IS300 / Xterra
    ^ yeah I agree. That's the 1st proto type (possibly hybrid).

I noticed the headlights are different when the car is driving in. Possibly production ready and they're covering the lower LED strip. You can see a better glimpse at 0:30 & 1:43.

10. Feb 10, 2017
  11. MotorFF

MotorFF New Member

Car(s):
    Blacked out wheels proto definitely seemed like to corner a lot better, with less slip. would not be surprised if yes electric motors are powering the front wheels on that one.

12. Feb 11, 2017
  13. <TC OFF>

<TC OFF> Member

Car(s):
    350z
    Really hope that's not the case because if they really haven't decided on engine(s) yet then we're a lot further away from seeing the Supra in dealerships than most people thought.

14. Feb 20, 2017
  15. Mike Member

Car(s):
    NISSAN Silvia S15 Spec-R
    More photos reveal more details...
    source: carscoops.com

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Mar 1, 2017
  17. Nati Beastcat

Nati Beastcat New Member

Car(s):
    1977 FJ40 Landcruiser - 1987 Buick Grand National
    I still have a hard time believing that Toyota would put a BMW motor in their flagship/iconic sports car. I would Imagine some BMW tech but expect the 3.5 toyota TT as the heart of the car

18. Mar 1, 2017
  19. <TC OFF>

<TC OFF> Member

Car(s):
    350z
    Yea I don't want to believe it or see it happen either but they've shown they're willing to make such concessions in order to lower the costs of development on their sports cars. They were willing to partner with Subaru on the 86 and that runs a Subaru engine for example.

20. Mar 1, 2017
  21. HKz

HKz Active Member

Car(s):
    FRS
    ...but the 86 twins are different from this relationship. Toyota and Subie came together to come out with one end result. The boxer was important there, the CoG stats don't lie and both Toyota and Subie are both happy with the drivetrain. With this Supra project, however, Toyota is analogous to Fiat with the Miata/124 Spider...Mazda develops the chassis, gives Fiat previous generation transmission, slaps on an "Italian" bodykit and Fiat puts an engine from one of their economy cars. I feel like this will automatically cause contention between the BMW model and the Supra..hypothetically any upgrade Toyota wants to make has to go through BMW. Has anyone seen one single Toyota representative drive any of the mules? Tada-san had direct seat time with the 86 project but he has yet to be seen here..

I really wished Toyota had more courage for their halo sports car..they care more about Lexus :(

22. Mar 1, 2017
  23. Nati Beastcat

Nati Beastcat New Member

Car(s):
    I just have this feeling while they might share chasis, transmissions etc. That motor will be all Toyota! Just my feelings. A Toyota SUPRA with a BMW motor would be like Dodge saying the new Hell Cat is going to have an LS motor from GM LOL

I just don't see it.

24. Mar 2, 2017
  25. Sun Devil

Sun Devil Member

Car(s):
    2016 Audi A7
    Hopefully Toyota will surprise all of us. We'll see.

Craigy likes this.
  26. Mar 2, 2017
  27. Nati Beastcat

Nati Beastcat New Member

Car(s):
    I know half of the tail lights are covered up on the photo but it looks like a narrower updated version of the last gen possibly? Like they covered the other two bulbs?

1994_toyota_supra.jpg

28. Mar 2, 2017
  29. HKz

HKz Active Member

Car(s):
    FRS
    it is hard to say whether the taillights will employ the altezza look or go with the FT1's light design...thus far though it appears these circular lights are merely there for legal purposes so they can bring these cars on public streets for testing.

Supraman likes this.