Anyone in SoCal have AWE Race Catback with a downpipe?

PowerGetter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24' 45th Anni Supra 3.0 6MT, 23' Subaru Ascent
...I'd love to hear it in person if you do! My car isn't a daily and mostly for track with some very selective/occasional weekend stuff. I wanted to hear how this sounds before plunging into the setup. Thanks!
Sponsored

Lik

First Name
Wayden
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Supra 3.0P, 19 370ZR, 23 Model 3, 99 GS-T
Not in California, but used to be. When I moved to Texas I could finally do whatever the fuck I wanted to the car. In this video I have a AWE Track Exhaust, Boost Logic catless down pipe, Visconti Flex Fuel Kit, Ecutek, unlocked 2020 ecu, MST V2 Cold air intake. Car was tuned w/ e50 and hit 483HP 584TQ Videos never really do it justice because it's so god damn loud the sound maxes out. California cops are the worst, if you ran this on street you'd get state ref'd for sure.

OP
OP
PowerGetter

PowerGetter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not in California, but used to be. When I moved to Texas I could finally do whatever the fuck I wanted to the car. In this video I have a AWE Track Exhaust, Boost Logic catless down pipe, Visconti Flex Fuel Kit, Ecutek, unlocked 2020 ecu, MST V2 Cold air intake. Car was tuned w/ e50 and hit 483HP 584TQ Videos never really do it justice because it's so god damn loud the sound maxes out. California cops are the worst, if you ran this on street you'd get state ref'd for sure.

Even as an occasional weekend car -- you think It's not very feasible for the street? Say... I drive maybe 3-4 times a month on the street.

Tacoma714

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra A91 CU Later Grey, 2015 Taccoma, 2013 A
Even as an occasional weekend car -- you think It's not very feasible for the street? Say... I drive maybe 3-4 times a month on the street.
Iā€™m in Orange County and got pulled over in Newport Beach with an Active Autoworks catted downpipe and an ARK Exhaust. Even though a couple Lamboā€™s drive past us who were WAY louder while we were off the side of the road. Honestly the burnt tips didnā€™t help which was the only thing the cop noticed. If you donā€™t do burnt tips and stick with a catted down pipe you should be fine.

Last edited:

Lik

First Name
Wayden
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Supra 3.0P, 19 370ZR, 23 Model 3, 99 GS-T
I think catted + awe touring is safe, but not catless and awe track is not. I don't think you'd pass smog unless you knew someone who does smog.

SuupYota

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra Premium 3.0 Renaissance Red 2.0
Iā€™m in Orange County and got pulled over in Newport Beach with an Active Autoworks carted downpipe and an ARK Exhaust. Even though a couple Lamboā€™s drive past us who were WAY louder while we were off the side of the road. Honestly the burnt tips didnā€™t help which was the only thing the cop noticed. If you donā€™t do burnt tips and stick with a catted down pipe you should be fine.
Cops are so lame out there. I've had numerous friends get pulled over in Orange County. When I used to live in California, I avoided any extended time with loud exhaust in that area. And yes, they tend to gravitate towards burnt tips šŸ™„ Meanwhile, exotics can fly by mostly unmolested. Also, as others have said, catless and smog will be an issue, unless you know someone.

OP
OP
PowerGetter

PowerGetter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Iā€™m in Orange County and got pulled over in Newport Beach with an Active Autoworks catted downpipe and an ARK Exhaust. Even though a couple Lamboā€™s drive past us who were WAY louder while we were off the side of the road. Honestly the burnt tips didnā€™t help which was the only thing the cop noticed. If you donā€™t do burnt tips and stick with a catted down pipe you should be fine.
I have no power mods -- just suspension mods. I was leaving Laguna Beach and avoided Laguna Canyon Rd, and drove into Newport to get onto the 73 from there. Guess what? I got pulled over with stock exhaust (was in sport mode) in Newport.

Cop said they site any vehicles that make excessive noise, and what I told him I was stock, he looked under the car from the rear and let me go.

While Ferraris, Lambos and Porsches are pulling hard on the opposite side of the road. Ridiculous.

I never seem to have this problem anywhere else in OC except Newport Beach.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
I have no power mods -- just suspension mods. I was leaving Laguna Beach and avoided Laguna Canyon Rd, and drove into Newport to get onto the 73 from there. Guess what? I got pulled over with stock exhaust (was in sport mode) in Newport.

Cop said they site any vehicles that make excessive noise, and what I told him I was stock, he looked under the car from the rear and let me go.

While Ferraris, Lambos and Porsches are pulling hard on the opposite side of the road. Ridiculous.

If track driving only, trailer to track, maybe you can get away with it? For an idea, my AWE track with catless dp can set off Tesla alarms at my work parking garage. Itā€™s insanely loud. Now I only take her there on the weekends. Even when not in close quarters, say in quiet neighborhoods, Iā€™ll turn off the sport mode. Which is even louder.

Unfortunately, I donā€™t know if they will allow you to have a dedicated track only car for emissions over there?

Tacoma714

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra A91 CU Later Grey, 2015 Taccoma, 2013 A

Probably the same motorcycle cop that pulled me over which has made me consider trading in my MKV for a used or older Porsche to be more under the radar. I am bone stock aside from the exhaust and catted downpipe. True story that adds more insult to injury: I take my 5 and 7 year old boys for golf lessons right off PCH and Jamboree at the Hyatt Newport Beach Sunday early mornings. The entire time I am there with them practicing, all you hear and see are loud Lambos, some M cars, some Porscheā€™s, loud burble tunes, etc., blasting down Jamboree and PCH. Have other idiots already ruined it for us enthusiasts in California? I think itā€™s too late. I had a friend who was a Costa Mesa cop for many years before he moved to Texas last year. He told me Newport and the coastal cities get residents who complain enough to the police department that then it becomes something they have to enforce heavily and in this case other idiots have already ruined it for us people just cruising. It also doesnā€™t help that on social media and tv you see street takeovers all the time.

sup.dc2

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mk5mt. DC2. T4R.
@Erty see, told you about those beach cities lol.

even before this thread i planned on polishing off the titanium tips off my exhaust when it comes in. probably give the piping and muffler a light pass over a wool so its less shiny. I'm paranoid over here.

Erty

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Supra 3.0 Premium MT
@Erty see, told you about those beach cities lol.

even before this thread i planned on polishing off the titanium tips off my exhaust when it comes in. probably give the piping and muffler a light pass over a wool so its less shiny. I'm paranoid over here.
Oof meanwhile I'm daily driving this thing to Redondo Beach during the work week with a boostlogic non-valved exhaust & stock downpipe... but I honestly love the way it sounds and I've ran into a few Downey patrol officers on the street that didn't bat an eye. I'm also always on the 105, 91 and 605 and CHP don't seem to care.

Soooo stay away from Newport Beach got it.
Sponsored