New Toyota Supra rumored to get Toyota twin turbo V6 engine

Would you pay $50k-$60k for a 350-400hp "Supra"?

• Yes

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • No

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Maybe, depends on other factors like weight, styling and etc.

Votes: 15 48.4%

• Total voters

910ps

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
WRX
This just hit the wires, fresh rumors that the Supra will be offered in two flavors when it is available:

- 2.0L turbo 4 cyl from the upcoming Lexus NX 200t (with around 235hp)

- 2.5L turbo V6 hybrid pushing 300kW (~402hp).

Source:
But the global financial crisis soon put this project on the back-burner, as car-makers were forced to tighten their belts. Now in 2014, Toyota is back with even raunchier styling and two powertrains.

The entry-level variant is expected to incorporate a turbocharged 2.0-litre petrol-four from the upcoming Lexus NX, while the flagship will employ a 2.5-litre turbo V6 hybrid powertrain generating more than 300kW.

Obviously the new Supra will be rear-wheel drive but it is also strongly rumoured to employ an LFA-style rear transaxle, meaning the new Supra could sell for less than $100,000 when it appears in showrooms as early as 2016.

http://www.motoring.com.au/news/sports/toyota/confirmed-toyota-ft-1-is-next-supra-41509
Sponsored

bballr35

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Elise
I love the rumor mill... come on 2.5L making 400 horses? Are they going to sell that one without a warranty?

OP
OP

910ps

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
WRX
I love the rumor mill... come on 2.5L making 400 horses? Are they going to sell that one without a warranty?
yep I just posted it as food for thought since news is slow. I doubt we see it making that much from factory.

divinesteer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyotas
i'd love to see 2 versions but you would think they would put more separation between the engines, give the V6 more displacement to play with.

black-supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Very Fast
This just hit the wires, fresh rumors that the Supra will be offered in two flavors when it is available:

- 2.0L turbo 4 cyl from the upcoming Lexus NX 200t (with around 235hp)

- 3.5L turbo V6 hybrid pushing 300kW (~402hp).
Fixed that for ya ;)

MATT

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'13 ACCORD
Any 3.5L engines in toyota's line up of cars or u think this is a new powertrain they will be using?

supraninja

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKIV Supra
In concept form...

2007_Toyota_FT-HS_01.jpg

The FT-HS concept (Lexus) used a 3.5L V6 hybrid:

A powerful V6, 3.5L-engine is coupled with a 21st century sports hybrid system with a target power output of approximately 400-horsepower. At a mid-priced market position, FT-HS would be a true "attainable exotic" with 21st Century performance.

Source: http://toyotanews.pressroom.toyota.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=1088

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP

910ps

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
WRX
attainable exotic.....sounds like it fits ft-1 to a T

JT

Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Vehicle Showcase
New article from Automobile which discusses upcoming BMW models but also mentions the MKV Supra. The article says that "the ultimate Supra will be powered by a twin-turbocharged V-6 from Japan."

Relevant paragraph:

BMW has tossed out a hatchback model of the forthcoming 1 Series in favor of a 2 Series Gran Coupé that should show up in 2019. The proposed Z4 coupe is gone, too; partner Toyota will sell only the hardtop version of the German-developed love child, and BMW will stick with the roadster, which thankfully abandons the clumsy folding hardtop the automaker had thought about using. The top-of-the-line Z4 M will have a 450-hp inline-six, whereas the ultimate Supra will be powered by a twin-turbocharged V-6 from Japan.

Last edited:

bballr35

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Elise
Nice to have some solid details from a respectable mag. I think a TT v6 is what most of us were hoping for too.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
If Toyota is going with a V6 TT than why even team up with BMW at all? Shorten the new LC's platform, drop in a turbo charge 2GR-FSE and slap on the Supra nameplate.

FRS-Man

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hot Lava FR-S
If Toyota is going with a V6 TT than why even team up with BMW at all? Shorten the new LC's platform, drop in a turbo charge 2GR-FSE and slap on the Supra nameplate.
For the shared platform which is supposed to use some lightweight materials (carbon?) and be modular?

I'm glad to hear the power plant might be Toyota only. Shared platform is ok by me but using another company's engine seems like then you're just slapping your badge on another company's car.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
For the shared platform which is supposed to use some lightweight materials (carbon?) and be modular?

I'm glad to hear the power plant might be Toyota only. Shared platform is ok by me but using another company's engine seems like then you're just slapping your badge on another company's car.
I just can't see the $50k price tag coming with carbon. The new Lexus GA-L platform is also scalable. They have hinted that it will be used for future RWD Lexus models.

Either way, if the rumors are true I'm ok with it. A new Supra should come with a Toyota engine.
Sponsored