BMW model codes include Supra (J29) with auto transmission, 4 and 6 cylinder engines

If the following is true for the Toyota, would you still be interested?

• Yes

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • No

Votes: 21 60.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
I don't know which is more depressing; the 4 banger or auto only. I guess the only positive news is that the US will not get the crappy 4 banger. As far as pricing goes the 4 cylinder version should be in the $40k range. IMO, if they try to price it the same as the base C7 it will just collect dust on the dealer lot. Than have the 6 cylinder version at the $50k range.
Sponsored

jm6k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars
eh, slower than a Camry? The current base model Z4 does 0-60 in 5.6 secs and I'm expecting the Toyota variant to be lighter perhaps around 3200 pounds.. And going by the manufacturer's figures, the top of the line TT I6 on the current Z4 35is has slightly higher HP/torque figures than the 2JZ-GTE so it is technically an improvement :dunno:
I don't know, the body kit might weight it down.

OP
OP
gymratter

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
I'm wondering why Europe gets more offerings than the US? Also so much for Tada sans comments about "big power" and "fun to drive". It looks like the only promise kept was the no hybrid part.
you wouldnt want the 20i. spy shots shows only 145kw / 194hp for that model.

this could just be the initial offerings. if sales are good "insiders" have hinted at a possibility of more variations down the road.

simple BPU mods and tuning will fix that.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1213066

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
you wouldnt want the 20i. spy shots shows only 145kw / 194hp for that model.

this could just be the initial offerings. if sales are good "insiders" have hinted at a possibility of more variations down the road.

simple BPU mods and tuning will fix that.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1213066

The 86/BRZ had great sales at first, and no turbo, convertible, shooting brake, sedan, and etc. So I'm not holding my breath for a manual or a high performance model with a M engine.

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
So I read through the Bimmerpost thread and read an interesting comment by one of their members.

1. Most models get both MECH and AUT typcodes - this means NOTHING.
2. Every new version of this file adds typcodes, but also deletes typcodes. The fact that you see something in just a single version of the file means NOTHING.
3. In many cases in the past, a model would show up in this file, then prototypes would start driving on the roads, then some of them would even be shipped to Woodcliff Lake for final eval - and then the market would get NOTHING.

(This is my only contribution to this thread. Please don't ask questions - I've just said everything I have to say on this.)
Personally, I'm taking everything with a hefty grain of salt right now until I see some cold, hard facts. Maybe I'm just an optimist, but I still have faith that Toyota knows what they're doing.

bogglo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus GS
So I read through the Bimmerpost thread and read an interesting comment by one of their members.

Personally, I'm taking everything with a hefty grain of salt right now until I see some cold, hard facts. Maybe I'm just an optimist, but I still have faith that Toyota knows what they're doing.
This is my point exactly. Until Toyota confirms I will just add this to the list of rumors out there. the power on the 4 and 6 cylinder makes no sense unless it is not a Supra replacement. the last supra was putting out 320hp I think and all this years later only 15hp increase? :dunno:how

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Tetsuya Tada should have stayed in making minivans only.
Lmao.

For real though, you should meet the guy, he's the genuine article. An enthusiast to the absolute core. My faith remains strong in his judgment.

OP
OP
gymratter

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
The 86/BRZ had great sales at first, and no turbo, convertible, shooting brake, sedan, and etc. So I'm not holding my breath for a manual or a high performance model with a M engine.
yeah but thats Toyota, the Germans are more known for updates, special editions and etc.

Tetsuya Tada should have stayed in making minivans only.
i was thinking the same, but didnt want to piss off 86 owners :p

but on a serious note, i dont think it matters who the chief engineer is. regardless of who is in charge i think this was Toyota's plan from the start. if anyone is to blame maybe we should point fingers at the Toyota board for being to cheap to do this project in house. :dunno:

SupraGuy19

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CRV Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I still can't believe Toyota's icon is being built by BMW. Nothing against BMW, but I just want this car to be built by Toyota!

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
but on a serious note, i dont think it matters who the chief engineer is. regardless of who is in charge i think this was Toyota's plan from the start. if anyone is to blame maybe we should point fingers at the Toyota board for being to cheap to do this project in house. :dunno:
who's to say it wasn't bmw that approached toyota? if mazda needed help splitting the costs with the best selling roadster of all time then it is quite conceivable bmw really needed this or they probably would have had to limit or cut the next Z4.. i can easily imagine bmw convincing toyota that if they came on board they would take care of everything on their own..but admittedly toyota is to blame for accepting the partnership.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.