BMW model codes include Supra (J29) with auto transmission, 4 and 6 cylinder engines

If the following is true for the Toyota, would you still be interested?

• Yes

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • No

Votes: 21 60.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
gymratter

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
who's to say it wasn't bmw that approached toyota? if mazda needed help splitting the costs with the best selling roadster of all time then it is quite conceivable bmw really needed this or they probably would have had to limit or cut the next Z4.. i can easily imagine bmw convincing toyota that if they came on board they would take care of everything on their own..but admittedly toyota is to blame for accepting the partnership.
idk who made the 1st move. i just assume it was Toyota given their history of reaching out to Subaru. agree, regardless who came to who 1st; its Toyota's own fault if their version sucks.
Sponsored

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
If the Toyota's car is all BMW AND no manual option is given, many will be upset including myself. This may work in some favor for BMW though. You can get the same/similar car from BMW directly = the M2 (of course depending on the final specs but just my guess).

Haros

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Two feet
I'd like to point out that auto also applies to DCT which is an automated clutch even if manually operated.
That being said, If true the top model only has 300 HP for the price of a 650hp camaro zl1 that would be a hard pass. He'll used GTRs sit under 60k.

Sun Devil

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
current: 2016 Audi A7 . Past: 996TT,997cab, 997TT, R8 V10, 13 FR-S
For 35-40K ... you can get a Civic Type R, 370z, or the STI with over 300hp. If the Supra stays in the 35-40K market .... then 300hp will work. If the Supra costs over 50K .... it better be 400 plus hp and a damn significant car.

For 55-65K .... you can get a new corvette or the Mustang GT350R. I love the motor in the GT350R, but the Mustang body ... not so much.

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
I wonder how Toyota will convince people to buy a $50k+ 248hp 'Supra' over a $55k 460hp C7. :rofl:
If this happens it will be a flop. Toyota really needs to understand the market and the competition.

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
If this happens it will be a flop. Toyota really needs to understand the market and the competition.
The chief engineer said in an interview that the competition will be the 300hp Cayman priced at $55k. In the same interview he complained about how the Cayman now has a 4 cylinder, but than they do the same to their flagship sports car. :what:

Haros

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Two feet
I'm sure they do
Well. At least I hope they do.
The entire scion brand really let us know how clueless they can be.

Haros

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Two feet
The chief engineer said in an interview that the competition will be the 300hp Cayman priced at $55k. In the same interview he complained about how the Cayman now has a 4 cylinder, but than they do the same to their flagship sports car. :what:
The 718 s is like 345 at the WHEELS, porsche always quoted proper horsepower. It also weighs as much as a Styrofoam plate. No really it weighs a 3100 lbs. That's super light. That's BRZ light, except with actual horsepower.

But with all that said, people buy a porsche because it's a porsche. Toyota needs to make something that isn't destroyed by the 2018 cheap as shit mustang GT that comes with 460hp and slays a stock 911.

Not to mention the camaro ZL1 is 650 ponies and affordable in the same price bracket as the supra.

I don't want to doubt Toyota, because they have so many excellent motor choices via Lexus, I just hope they use one or develop one just as good.

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
I'm sure they do

That and more recently the GS-F. Its not a bad car, just priced a little to high in my opinion.

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
The 718 s is like 345 at the WHEELS, porsche always quoted proper horsepower. It also weighs as much as a Styrofoam plate. No really it weighs a 3100 lbs. That's super light. That's BRZ light, except with actual horsepower.

But with all that said, people buy a porsche because it's a porsche. Toyota needs to make something that isn't destroyed by the 2018 cheap as shit mustang GT that comes with 460hp and slays a stock 911.

Not to mention the camaro ZL1 is 650 ponies and affordable in the same price bracket as the supra.

I don't want to doubt Toyota, because they have so many excellent motor choices via Lexus, I just hope they use one or develop one just as good.
I am aware of the S model. But I was referring to the base model which the 4 cyl Toyota could compete with. They have hinted at $50k.

No arguments there; you're preaching to the choir. You may want to pass that message along to Tetsuya Tada and Akio Toyoda.

Yeah we have a good pick of engines from Lexus, but that only problem is it appears that BMW is heading this project. With what we have to work with I was hoping the B58 would be the base model. Than have a high performance model with the S55. But now it looks like no M motor and to add insult to injury, a shitty 4 banger. If the list posted by OP is true, this would be very sad. :(

That and more recently the GS-F. Its not a bad car, just priced a little to high in my opinion.
I would say the GS as a whole. Sales have really tanked. It looks like the G80 may have taken a bite out of their sales. Its funny what happens when you give people what they want and at a good price as well. :rolleyes:

2017 GS: 4,205
2017 G80: 9,005

Last edited:
OP
OP
gymratter

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
Maybe that is the new GS. :dunno: Just because a website writes something doesn't mean it is true.
it probably is the ES because they are using the current ES as a benchmark. im not really surprised by the news either. Akio wanted to kill the GS for some time now.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
I'm sure they do

what was wrong with scion? the first gen xb, tc & xa were all very commendable low budget cars & they successfully had by far the lowest average age of buyers until the recession hit. if the economy didn't go as sour as it did, scion would probably still be alive.

looks like they are killing off the GS. the next ES has been spied testing with the A6 and E class.

https://www.motor1.com/news/175659/2019-lexus-es-spied-testing/
https://www.motor1.com/news/139530/lexus-killing-gs-sedan/
certainly a possibility but I'm still not convinced they'll kill off the GS. The other post you had in a previous thread was actually the next gen Toyota Crown which is basically a GS with Japanese clothing...so if they are serious about making another Crown which doesn't sell that many either then I think it is a good chance the GS stays.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.