BMW model codes include Supra (J29) with auto transmission, 4 and 6 cylinder engines

If the following is true for the Toyota, would you still be interested?

• Yes

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • No

Votes: 21 60.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
BMW underrates their motor. I wouldn't be surprised if "355hp" is closer to 400hp on dyno.

Its also not suppose to be that heavy. Its reported to weight 1.4 tons or 2,800lbs. I'm assuming that is the base 4 cylinder models. So if true, maybe the 6 cylinder model is around 3,000lbs? :dunno:

http://www.bild.de/auto/auto-news/b...ster-test-design-innenraum-52874446.bild.html
An "underrated" 355 horsepower still does not sound appealing.

Also, it's 1.4 tonnes not tons, 1.4 tonnes is 3,086lbs.
Sponsored

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
An "underrated" 355 horsepower still does not sound appealing.

Also, it's 1.4 tonnes not tons, 1.4 tonnes is 3,086lbs.
No I totally agree, just trying to make bad news slightly better lol.

My bad, stupid conversion table messed me up. Than maybe a 6 cylinder version will come in at 3,200lbs?

jmc08

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Celica Supra
I was on clublexus earlier today and there was reference to an interview with a chief engineer/designer for Toyota that had a part in the Land Cruiser and LX. The link provided goes to a Land Cruiser forum. Within that interview, the new Supra was brought up and discussed. Here is his response: Question: "Any info on the upcoming Toyota Supra?"
Answer: "Release date early 2019; should have north of 400hp, expect a manual option. Dave would not comment on powertrain other than to indicate it was a joint build with BMW and it will NOT be using BMW's ubiquitous 3.0 twin turbo inline 6. He said it may have a 3.5 v6 turbo and there may be a hybrid variant."

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/dave-from-toyota-what-we-learned-in-breck-about-the-200.1003052/

BrettS

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2011 gti
Vehicle Showcase
I was on clublexus earlier today and there was reference to an interview with a chief engineer/designer for Toyota that had a part in the Land Cruiser and LX. The link provided goes to a Land Cruiser forum. Within that interview, the new Supra was brought up and discussed. Here is his response: Question: "Any info on the upcoming Toyota Supra?"
Answer: "Release date early 2019; should have north of 400hp, expect a manual option. Dave would not comment on powertrain other than to indicate it was a joint build with BMW and it will NOT be using BMW's ubiquitous 3.0 twin turbo inline 6. He said it may have a 3.5 v6 turbo and there may be a hybrid variant."

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/dave-from-toyota-what-we-learned-in-breck-about-the-200.1003052/
:headbang: I'm gunna laugh at all the haters that said this car will be a failure

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300

Thanks for sharing! You should post this onto a new thread.

Timmo598

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 Toyota Supra, 02 Nissan Silvia, 09 370Z
Vehicle Showcase

Holy crap!
that is actually fantastic news!!!!
so freakin' good :D

I Suppose now we should try our best to trust his word lol

jmc08

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Celica Supra
It all sounded great to me except for the 2019 date. I was hoping deliveries would begin in 2018. Again, this was not officially put out by Toyota, so who knows if this info is legitimate or not.

formsracing

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3
Nice share :thumbsup:

Assuming what Dave said is true, this should be quite the fun car.

However, with a 2019 release date, I can't help but think of the level of competition that will be out then. This car really needs to compete with the next generation of sports cars rather than what is currently out. Fingers crossed!

CSUfiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Regarding this info.... better late than never, i guess:dunno:

Even considering the 2019 date, I would take this any day of the week over the 335hp rumors

mas921

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Several RWD's

you just made my day!

Mike

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NISSAN Silvia S15 Spec-R
HOT Insider GREAT news!
V6 3.5 Twin Turbo 400+hp , manual gearbox Supra!

"A couple of weeks ago, some precious details emerged about the BMW Z4 successor / Toyota Supra reboot joint project. Now, a member of the IH8MUD forums has decided to share the juicy details he managed to obtain after speaking with a Toyota representative, who was generous to spill the beans about other future models as well. But first, let’s hear what he had to say about the hotly anticipated Supra.

The six-cylinder engine mentioned in the previous report won’t in fact be BMW’s silky smooth inline-six as the model will use a new engine developed together by the two automakers. Dave admitted the unit in question might be a turbocharged 3.5-liter V6 with “north of 400 hp,” but without revealing an exact horsepower figure. He did point out a manual gearbox is in the offing, despite the fact some voices are saying the Supra will be auto-only. He went on to specify a hybrid derivative might happen as well, probably later on in the model’s life cycle to serve as the range topper.

As to when Toyota will effectively launch the long-awaited new Supra, Dave said it’s slated for a release at the beginning of 2019. However, we probably won’t have to wait so long to see it considering a recent report coming from Auto Bild indicates the sporty coupe will be introduced at the Tokyo Motor Show late October this year, albeit it will likely be a concept rather than the full production model.

LINK: https://www.motor1.com/news/177719/toyota-supra-v6-turbo-engine/

Last edited:

Haros

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Two feet
Unfortunately if we were to quote "representatives (read: salesperson) we would be seeing RX9s, mid engine corvettes, honda s1000 roadsters, focus rs400s, new motor STi (As has been rumored for nearly 10 years for every year), turbo brz/frs and the Ford Bronco return would have been 15 years ago.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
Unfortunately if we were to quote "representatives (read: salesperson) we would be seeing RX9s, mid engine corvettes, honda s1000 roadsters, focus rs400s, new motor STi (As has been rumored for nearly 10 years for every year), turbo brz/frs and the Ford Bronco return would have been 15 years ago.
all true..no where did I get the impression that this toyota guy is in any notable position to actually know what the dev team are doing. regardless, the V6 & hybrid rumors have been around for a while but in general they have been less believable than the shared bmw powertrain rumors..
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.