Sponsored

Disable fake engine noise in 2024 Tacoma 4th gen with OBD2 scanner / programmer?

26wx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
I think I saw it did, and it has to be connected to something to turn it off... that it can't be done through normal means etc. Might have been a thread on TW about it.

CuriousTaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2
I turned it off using carista. It does make a noticeable difference.

After turning it off I realized the biggest difference was during a cold start and the first few minutes of driving. The turbo noise was nearly non-existent. Paying closer attention to the boost gauge it seems like the turbo is less engaged until the engine gets up to temp (this is a good thing!). You never want to accelerate hard until the turbo is up to temp and it seems like the engine is actively trying to manage this. Once up to temp the turbo feels more responsive. Not sure if this is par for the course with newer turbo vehicles?

JED

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Tacoma TRD Sport
thank you, I just ordered an ODB2 scanner so I will be trying that out tonight
I just installed a sub that apparently is back feeding with the ambient noise canceling. Wonder if the scanner can bypass same?

Tsturbo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 Tacoma Limited
It’s not fake, it is the actual engine noise with some of it piped into the cabin.

OP
OP
Wags

Wags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off-Road Premium
I turned it off using carista. It does make a noticeable difference.

After turning it off I realized the biggest difference was during a cold start and the first few minutes of driving. The turbo noise was nearly non-existent. Paying closer attention to the boost gauge it seems like the turbo is less engaged until the engine gets up to temp (this is a good thing!). You never want to accelerate hard until the turbo is up to temp and it seems like the engine is actively trying to manage this. Once up to temp the turbo feels more responsive. Not sure if this is par for the course with newer turbo vehicles?
I plan on doing the same with the app, I just have a different ODB2 scanner, so I hope it works the same

SnowmanJPS

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Subaru Outback XT (24 Pro on order)
I plan on doing the same with the app, I just have a different ODB2 scanner, so I hope it works the same
I'm pretty sure it has to be a Carista or Toyotas system, nothing else will do it

SonoranSurvivalist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' RAV4 Hybrid Limited, '24 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
It's fake.
As much as I'd wish it weren't, it's way too much bass... if you open the hood on the G4, that engine just doesn't sound inspiring as much as I wish it did. There's a lot of clicking and clacking.

univurshul

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2001
to me it's fake if it's coming through the speakers.
definitive proof it’s getting amped through the speakers?

EDIT: just sent in this idea to TFL to test Blueberry's engine rumble in the cab. My prediction is no, Sheldon didn't sign off on some fake ass engine noise piped in through the JBLs on the new tacos. The TH's vac suck noise through the high intake is definitely real - that's what I'm getting [eventually...maybe in 2026 at this rate of production....]

Crack is whack bros

crack-crack-is-whack.gif

Last edited:

bking

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150
Carista will turn off the engine noise as well as the ambient sound if you want. You can also turn on opening your all windows and moonroof by holding down the unlock button and some other things. It's also a really good ODB scanner
Sponsored