Featured Gazoo Supra?! Crazy report

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by FRS-Man, Jan 25, 2017.

Jan 25, 2017
  1. FRS-Man

FRS-Man Member

Featured Threads:
    Car(s):
    Hot Lava FR-S
    What a crazy report out of Autocar! You guys believe any of this??

Toyota Supra to be launched under Gazoo performance brand

Toyota will launch its 2018 Supra under the name of its newly launched road performance arm, Gazoo.

The boss of Gazoo Racing, Koei Saga, told Autocar at the Monte Carlo Rally, where Toyota was fielding its new Yaris WRC cars, that producing such a halo hybrid model was a 'dream' of his. He also suggested that Gazoo’s road car team was already making use of the brand’s racing hybrid powertrain technology.

Saga refrained from revealing what Gazoo’s range-topping model would be, but earlier inside information has suggested that the Supra was already planned to be launched under the Gazoo monker. Whether or not this will be as the Gazoo Supra or Toyota Supra Gazoo isn't yet known.

Saga suggested that more hybrid Gazoo models were on the cards in the future by emphasising the importance of hybrid powertrains to his division. He cited Gazoo Racing’s hybrid motorsport models, which include its World Endurance Championship LMP1 racer and hybrid-V8 Prius that competes in Japan’s Super GT 300 class.

The first production Gazoo model to be sold in Europe will be a hot version of the Yaris hatchback. Set to be revealed at the Geneva motor show in March, it is expected to have a 1.5-litre turbocharged petrol engine that’ll produce more than 210bhp. The car will be available as a three-door only.

Saga hinted that a plan to launch more roadgoing Gazoo models in Europe after this was already in place. When asked if he wanted a full range of Gazoo models to be produced for the market, he said “of course”.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/toyota-supra-be-launched-under-gazoo-performance-brand

2. Jan 25, 2017
  3. metzger Member

Car(s):
    IS350F
    Nope.

Maybe I missed a memo somewhere, but as far as I know Gazoo isn't a brand of Toyota Motor Sales in the sense that say Scion was. Nor is it really a newly launched performance arm... again, unless I missed something and there is some newly launched brand. Toyota has been selling GRMN modified cars in Japan for a few years at least, similar to how SVT has been a performance branch of Ford that modifies existing cars. I don't expect GRMN/Gazoo Racing to have a vehicle entirely under their umbrella. I would expect them to sell a modified Supra (in Japan) under the GRMN name, and I'd expect it to be very expensive (the GRMN 86 is $50k+).

I vote extremely unlikely.

gymratter likes this.
  4. Jan 25, 2017
  5. gymratter

gymratter Active Member

Car(s):
    Silver Spur & F-150
    i don't like the sound of Gazoo Supra. Dodge tired it with the SRT Viper but than later changed it back to Dodge Viper.

6. Jan 25, 2017
  7. Villa Jonny

Villa Jonny Member

Tech
    Car(s):
    2016 Toyota Avalon 2016 Toyota Camry 2015 Scion FRS
    Thought the people at the Toyota corp wanted a new Toyota Supra? I just don't see this happening.. Who knows..:dunno:

8. Jan 27, 2017
  9. Supra93

Supra93 Active Member

Featured Threads:
    Car(s):
    Supra, RX7, and E500
    IMO, they should just stick to "Toyota Supra". And seeing how they just killed off Scion I don't think Toyota is going to start another new brand. Now Gazoo could be added to a high performance trim level like with the Mercedes C63 AMG.

10. Jan 27, 2017
  11. Mike Member

Car(s):
    NISSAN Silvia S15 Spec-R
    Toyota has taken into consideration the impact that high end cars and performance divisions have on the status of automakers after a decade of absence.
    Like NISSAN and nismo, with cars ranging from the small Note to the ultimate GT-R, Toyota is aiming to do the same.
    Toyota's racing arm back in the 90's was TRD (Toyota Racing Development) and since 2015 Gazoo Racing is the united motorsports division with presence in WRC, WEC, Japanese GT Championship and other activities.
    Recently they presented the GRMN FR Sports Concept and are trying to enter in production models in the form of performance parts and accessories and even go a step further with cars coming out of the production line labeled GR-branded like AMG, M Division, nismo etc...
    We shall wait and see...

12. Jan 27, 2017
  13. metzger Member

Car(s):
    IS350F
    They've already sold several GRMN branded cars in Japan, but yeah I think your right about the future plans for Gazoo. The article seems a little misleading - "Toyota will launch its 2018 Supra under the name of its newly launched road performance arm, Gazoo." - sounds like they're saying that the Supra will be a Gazoo Supra, but what Gazoo is actually saying is that there will be a Toyota Supra GRMN. I can't see why the performance brand of Toyota wouldn't create a version of Toyota's performance car, so yeah, this should be expected. I don't know if we should expect it in the US though. TRD still has a strong hold over here thanks to trucks and Nascar. Maybe GRMN could become a thing though for the SFR, 86, and Supra.

Supra93 and Mike like this.
  14. Jan 27, 2017
  15. Supraman Active Member

Car(s):
    IS300 / Xterra
    Chances are we will see a Supra first and a Supra GR / GR Supra edition 1-3 years after the original one is out. Sort of like the GT-R Nismo edition.

Mike and gymratter like this.