What will the FT-1 be called? Supra trademark revived by Toyota!

Should Toyota used the Supra nameplate in any form?

• Yes

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Maybe, it would depend on other factors

Votes: 13 44.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

divinesteer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyotas
Toyota-FT-1-logo-at-NAIAS-2014.jpg

Is Supra a lock?

Toyota's naming convention for the FT-1 stands for "Future Toyota" 1, as in the ultimate future toyota sports car. The "FT" is used for concepts only so the question is what other possible names (besides Supra) do you think Toyota would consider for the production car?

A look at their previous concepts and the production names they ended up with:

tundraconcept2.jpg
FTX became Tundra

05_ftsx_06.jpg
FT-SX became Venza

toyota-ft-ch-hybrid-concept-car-2010-detroit-auto-show_100303457_m.jpg
FT-CH (i.e. Future Toyota Compact Hybrid) became Pruis C
Sponsored

910ps

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
WRX
I don't see what else they could name it to bring more excitement back than Supra

TorqueRules

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus
i know it is reserved for toyota's concept vehicles but FT-1 would be a cool badge IMO. also cmon look at the thing, that IS the future of toyota. :cool:

supraninja

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKIV Supra
1123248161307696378.jpg

Here we go.... this is about as close to confirmation that we have so far that the Supra name will be used for FT-1!

Filed on Feb 10, 2014 the filing covers "automobiles and structural parts thereof"

MATT

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'13 ACCORD
Awesome news! I love what you can find on the USPTO sometimes, lots of stuff to dig up. Find anything else interesting? :)

sunFire

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
E46 M3 cabrio
Wouldn't Toyota already have a trademark for Supra? it might be out of production but they still need to preserve the name No?

910ps

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
WRX
It's a trademark renewal. I'm no lawyer but I think when you file a trademark you have to show an intent to use it and not just squat on it.

Toyota would need to show the trademark office that they have some plans to use the Supra name within an X amount of years.

bballr35

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Elise
Wouldn't Toyota already have a trademark for Supra? it might be out of production but they still need to preserve the name No?
Trademark registrations are not as simple as sitting on a name indefinitely. Car manufacturers let old names lapse all the time and they also renewal trademarks sometimes without necessarily intending to build that vehicle.

I'm not sure when the Supra TM lapsed but a renewal can sometimes mean they plan to sell some branded merchandise with the name.

black-supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Very Fast
This one was specifically for automobiles/parts. They would need a separate use trademark for selling merchandise I believe. It's pretty great news :)

supraninja

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKIV Supra
Trademark registrations are not as simple as sitting on a name indefinitely. Car manufacturers let old names lapse all the time and they also renewal trademarks sometimes without necessarily intending to build that vehicle.

I'm not sure when the Supra TM lapsed but a renewal can sometimes mean they plan to sell some branded merchandise with the name.
Toyota let the Supra trademark lapse with the USPTO from 2006 to 2010.

Respek

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2011 Mustang
thats weird because it stopped production in 98 and 2002 in japan. why stop in 06?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.