Featured Tada San's Latest Words on New Toyota Supra (MSN Motoring)

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by Administrator, Aug 23, 2016.

Aug 23, 2016
  1. Administrator Administrator Staff Member

Featured Threads:
    Car(s):
    Supra
    Garage Profiles:
    In an MSN Motoring published interview with Tetsuya Tada, the Supra MKV's chief engineer, had these latest encouraging words to say about the project:

Screen Shot 2016-08-23 at 6.38.59 PM.jpg

Craigy likes this.
  2. Aug 24, 2016
  3. black-supra

black-supra Active Member

Featured Threads:
    Car(s):
    Very Fast
    It sounds like plans are still very fluid and years away. Time to put my head in the sand and keep on waiting...

gymratter and Craigy like this.
  4. Aug 25, 2016
  5. __WRC__

__WRC__ Member

Car(s):
    325i
    I never expected it before 2019 earliest so it's all good. A concept would be cool to pass the time though.

6. Aug 25, 2016
  7. Supraman Active Member

Car(s):
    IS300 / Xterra
    Good sign is he is talking about it now. I hope somthing is shown in the LA Auto show in November. But I agree it sounds like it may take some time before the production is on dealership lots.

I think I'm going to get into the 4x4 world for a while!

8. Aug 29, 2016
  9. Craigy

Craigy Active Member

Featured Threads:
    Car(s):
    M3, Lexus GX
    "Top of Toyota sports" = presumably faster (more powerful?) than everything in their lineup. If that includes Lexus products, that's pretty substantial. Otherwise, faster than a V6 Camry? ;)

10. Aug 30, 2016
  11. adprokid Member

Car(s):
    86,sti
    Mr Toyoda should order Tada san to step down from the Supra's project, because Tada always says we don't want to compete with GTR! I think this mentality only suitable for the 86's and SF-Rs.

Craigy likes this.
  12. Sep 4, 2016
  13. MotorFF

MotorFF New Member

Car(s):
    If they compete with the GT-R then the price will be out of reach of the majority of true car enthusiasts - I couldn't care less is this new Supra is slower then the GT-R as long as its affordable. If you want something as fast as the GT-R just go and buy a GT-R.

14. Sep 4, 2016
  15. adprokid Member

Car(s):
    86,sti
    The prices back then weren't far between the two, the Supra RZ from 1997 was costing 4,480,000 Yen, and the GTR 33 of the same year was costing 4,885,000 Yen.

http://www.goo-net.com/catalog/TOYOTA/SUPRA/

http://www.goo-net.com/catalog/NISSAN/SKYLINE/index.html#200105

16. Sep 5, 2016
  17. __WRC__

__WRC__ Member

Car(s):
    325i
    I don't think GT-R should be a target either. There's only so many buyers of $100k sports cars out there to begin with and although the Supra badge carries a lot of cachet, I don't think there'd be a lot of people willing to pay 100 grand for a Toyota badged car.

Plus if you go after the current GT-R based on its current specs, it won't be long until the Supra is surpassed by the next gen GT-R which is supposed to be coming in the next few years.

MotorFF likes this.
  18. Sep 15, 2016
  19. Craigy

Craigy Active Member

Featured Threads:
    Car(s):
    M3, Lexus GX
    Literally a decade will separate the MkV Supra from the current GT-R. If Toyota can't come close to GT-R performance for less money, then shame on them. Corvette does it with the Grand Sport and Z06. Mustang does it with the GT350. The GT-R is old and overpriced (incentives have been close to $20k off sticker for some time).

For $60k or a little better, Toyota should be able to really impress people with performance. If it's not a performer, then I simply don't care about it, regardless of how cheap it is.

gymratter likes this.
  20. Oct 15, 2016
  21. gymratter

gymratter Active Member

Car(s):
    Silver Spur & F-150
    Craigy likes this.
  22. Oct 17, 2016
  23. Craigy

Craigy Active Member

Featured Threads:
    Car(s):
    M3, Lexus GX
    Most of the pricing of the GT-R has tracked the USD/Yen conversion.

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=USD&to=JPY&view=10Y

From ~2008 to 2012, the dollar really took a tumble to the yen, and the yen remained very strong until 2013, 2014. And now this year the yen has dropped again compared to last, which is largely to blame for a pretty substantial price hike for the 2017 model year. Of course it definitely feels like Nissan has also been raising prices simply because they can. According to Ghosn the GTR program doesn't make a lot of money but it does pay for itself. So perhaps that's why they have been so quick to adjust the price so heavily each year. In theory Toyota being a lot larger company would be less sensitive to currency changes, and typically their prices remain a lot more constant across their lineup. The other Japanese manufacturers adjust their prices but this particularly egregious practice seems limited to Nissan and in particular the GTR.

Regardless of the cause though, the price increases on the GTR have been pretty disheartening. $70k was still pretty rich but not like the six-figure life choice that it is now. When it first arrived I was still in school but $70k for world-beating performance was incredible, and something I thought I could afford in 4 or 5 years. Since then they've been bumping the price such that it's seemingly forever just a little more than I want to spend, perhaps for the better. Today I could walk into a dealership and buy a car without breaking a sweat, but at $100k it's getting quite long in the tooth which is getting even longer as the competition brings out newer products.

gymratter likes this.