Featured Tetsuya Tada says Supra name favored for coming sports car

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by Supra93, Aug 1, 2016.

Aug 1, 2016
  1. Supra93

Supra93 Well-Known Member

Featured Threads:
    Car(s):
    Supra, RX7, and E500
    Garage Profiles:
    http://www.caradvice.com.au/467228/...pra-name-the-favourite-for-coming-sports-car/

2. Aug 2, 2016
  3. Villa Jonny

Villa Jonny Active Member

Tech
    Car(s):
    2016 Toyota Avalon 2016 Toyota Camry
    I see a lot of Internet fanboys getting mad over this. Lol

4. Aug 2, 2016
  5. AZ Wildcat Member

Car(s):
    Hoping for new Supra
    Why would that be? I think whether people get mad over reviving the Supra name will depend on how good the car turns out to be.

gymratter likes this.
  6. Aug 3, 2016
  7. Big George Member

Car(s):
    Mazda 3, X5 V8
    I like these statements very much!

Oh and I just don't see Toyota NOT calling it the Supra. Wish they'd tease us with more than just the name though. When are they gonna start playing with spy photographers and driving some mules around?!

8. Aug 3, 2016
  9. FRS-Man

FRS-Man Member

Featured Threads:
    Car(s):
    Hot Lava FR-S
    Look at that black Supra in the article. Thing is still a stunner today! Please don't disappoint us with the MKV Supra styling Toyota :bow:

10. Aug 3, 2016
  11. detuning New Member

Car(s):
    IS-F
    There are actually people who dont want a Supra remake? Wtf? Do they not like cars?

12. Aug 4, 2016
  13. Supraman Active Member

Car(s):
    IS300 / Xterra
    ^ I'm all in for a Supra revival. My only issue with the car being named Supra is if it has a BMW engine in it and if the car does not live up to it's name.

If a BMW sourced engine is in it - please still make the car but use a new name. Just my opinion.

14. Aug 5, 2016
  15. 323 Rider

323 Rider Member

Featured Threads:
    Car(s):
    Ducati
    :lol: It totally makes sense to use a previous name with some cachet rather than some made up new name. It's what they should have done with the FR-S for example. Should have called it an 86 in North America from the beginning.

I think a lot of enthusiasts would agree with this. Regardless if the MKV Supra is praised or criticized, I'd rather it be on Toyota engineer's merits rather than because it has a BMW engine.

16. Aug 7, 2016
  17. Rod.S New Member

Paralegal
    Car(s):
    FJ
    Well, duh! :)

18. Aug 8, 2016
  19. detuning New Member

Car(s):
    IS-F
    I hear you but the reality is all sports cars are going this way and the low volume ones will continue to be more and more bastardized. You have companies like GM and Ford co developing transmissions and pretty soon the only way to make any money from them will be to build a sports car together. I don't like the idea of a BMW engine in a Supra either but I still rather it gets the name. I'd be a lot less likely to buy it otherwise but that's just me.

20. Aug 9, 2016
  21. JJR Member

Car(s):
    CT200
    I think if GM and Ford ever nixed the Camaro and Mustang to create one shared sports car, you'd see the respective fans of each car burning down the car's production plant :)

I'm of the opposite opinion. If it gets BMW engine and other mechanical parts then I'd rather they just name it something else altogether because then it has very little link to the past Supras. They can start clean slate with a new name and still sell the car successfully without being mocked at from putting out a "Supra" in name only.

22. Aug 9, 2016
  23. detuning New Member

Car(s):
    IS-F
    Even if it gets a Toyota engine it will be built by an Austrian company from what we have read. It's a bit of a slippery slope. On one hand the Supra's engine is what has and will define the car but at what point does it stop being a Toyota-built sports car when the rest of it is being outsourced.

24. Aug 16, 2016
  25. MotorFF

MotorFF New Member

Car(s):
    My understanding is that Magna Steyr simply does the final assembly, more or less - they wouldn't be doing any major sub-assemblies manufacture at all, things like rear suspension cradle, front suspension assemblies and the steering components, drivetrain, interior/dashboard, will all be made by the regular Toyota suppliers. At best MagnaSteyr will be stamping the panels and welding them, and the robotic plant setup and adjusted by the Toyota engineers will be responsible for the welding.
    I'm not super fussed by this plan - there is not way in hell that Toyota will allow Supra to have reliability issues.

26. Aug 17, 2016
  27. JohnnyTX

JohnnyTX Member

Car(s):
    Celica GTS (05)
    I believe that would be the case also but I question the rumor altogether. Magna Steyr currently builds the Mini Countryman and Paceman for BMW and the word is they've decided to move production of it to the Netherlands and have Magna build another model which everyone is assuming is the Z5. The BMW-Magna link makes sense but I think Toyota/Supra got pulled into this rumor just based on the shared platform development. I'm not sure there's anything else to it other than that.....hopefully we find out soon.