Let's talk about reliability

SupraGuy19

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CRV Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Consumer Reports just released its Annual Auto Reliability Survey, which predicts the dependability of every new vehicle on sale today. Consumer Reports’ Annual Auto Reliability Survey is based on responses from their subscribers who have purchased or leased more than 640,000 new vehicles since the year 2000. This gives the influential watchdog organization a huge amount of data to base its predictions on, which apply to more than 300 different vehicle nameplates.

But which automakers build the most reliable vehicles? Here are the 10 best:

1. Toyota
2. Lexus
3. Kia (???)
4. Audi
5. BMW
6. Subaru
7. Infinity
8. Buick
9. Honda
10. Hyundai

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...r-reports-annual-auto-reliability-survey.html
Sponsored

Last edited:

jm6k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars
Also, Porsche has dropped from the top 10 list, which is interesting.
I'm confused by this. Looked at Autoguide's list from 2016 and Porsche isn't on there either. JD Power has them tied for 1st place with Lexus. Does Autoguide not count Porsche for some reason?

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
I'm confused by this. Looked at Autoguide's list from 2016 and Porsche isn't on there either. JD Power has them tied for 1st place with Lexus. Does Autoguide not count Porsche for some reason?
I realized I was confusing JD Power and Consumer Reports. But the point still stands, where's Porsche? Very strange.

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
IIRC CR does not generate reliability ratings for a car when the number of reports it receives on that car is judged to be too low for adequate statistical reliability. Possibly not enough CR readers are Porsche owners to generate useful data?

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
A lot of these reports differ widely based on how they collect their data.

soundman414

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BRZ
I do wonder what the continuing expansion of 3rd party engines in Toyota's lineup will do to their overall reliability. Toyota is going to have Subaru FA20 (been in the FR-S/86/BRZ since 2012) and BMW B58 engines in its lineup soon. Subaru and BMW aren't synonymous with bulletproof engines or worry free electrics/electronics, like Toyota is.

Last edited:

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
I do wonder what the continuing expansion of 3rd party engines in Toyota's lineup will do to their overall reliability. Toyota is going to have Subaru FA20 (been in the FR-S/86/BRZ since 2012) and BMW B58 engines in its lineup soon. Subaru and BMW aren't synonymous with bulletproof engines or worry free electrics/electronics, like Toyota is.
eh, the GT86 & BRZ are the most reliable models for Toyota & Subaru currently.. It may have a boxer but keep in mind the twins have the least electronic complication out of virtually any car in today's market.

soundman414

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BRZ
eh, the GT86 & BRZ are the most reliable models for Toyota & Subaru currently.. It may have a boxer but keep in mind the twins have the least electronic complication out of virtually any car in today's market.
I don't know. I own one, and have heard a lot about head gasket failures, and other blown motors from even guys running stock engines on FT86Club... Although I do admit I have no way of personally verifying what someone (or many people), put into a forum post. I haven't had any issues with the motor, but many issues with the automatic transmission; bad shifting, getting stuck in gears and can't get out of them, hard shifts, taking until 4k to shift to next gear, etc.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
I don't know. I own one, and have heard a lot about head gasket failures, and other blown motors from even guys running stock engines on FT86Club... Although I do admit I have no way of personally verifying what someone (or many people), put into a forum post. I haven't had any issues with the motor, but many issues with the automatic transmission; bad shifting, getting stuck in gears and can't get out of them, hard shifts, taking until 4k to shift to next gear, etc.
I hope you understand statistics or do you think you and some posters who have had problems represent a significant portion of the thousands of 86s they've sold? The 86 was the 2nd most reliable vehicle overall in last year's data.

CR-Ratings.jpg

Exactly on the blown motors, there is no way to verify if the person tried to boost their FA20 or if they even took care of their toy properly. The 2013MYs, the first year of production, had some issues but in reality it isn't any different or worse from any brand new vehicle launch.

Hard & clunky shifting are common traits on the AISIN derived gearbox, very similar to the one found in the S2000 & NC Miata. If you've driven those it is no different, as it is the price you pay for direct linkages and having good shifting feel.

E: oh lol..you're referring to an automatic and your problems are very unusual. My first FRS was an auto, I didn't care about cold starts and I was banging it off the redline everyday I went to work and it didn't skip a beat for 60 K miles until a woman ran a red light and totaled it...but I guess I must be an "outlier" :confused1: