Featured Toyota to Show Supra Concept in October (Plus Two More Sports Concepts)

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by Supra93, Jan 26, 2017.

Jan 26, 2017
  1. Supra93

Supra93 Active Member

Featured Threads:
    Car(s):
    Supra, RX7, and E500
    Toyota-Supra-Concept-Rendering_102.jpg
    2018-2019 Toyota Supra Prototype3.jpg

http://blog.caranddriver.com/toyota-to-show-supra-concept-in-october-plus-two-more-sports-concepts/

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    gymratter and Administrator like this.
  2. Jan 27, 2017
  3. NeroZ Member

Featured Threads:
    Car(s):
    FR-S Release Series 1
    ABOUT TIME. I don't know where the engine info comes from but I was hoping for a bit more power than that.

gymratter and Craigy like this.
  4. Jan 27, 2017
  5. Villa Jonny

Villa Jonny Member

Tech
    Car(s):
    2016 Toyota Avalon 2016 Toyota Camry 2015 Scion FRS
    I want all of them.. ALL three!!!!!

6. Jan 27, 2017
  7. metzger Member

Car(s):
    IS350F
    I hope they're right about all of this so I can spend $15k on an SFR instead of $60k on a Supra. That render doesn't look great to me, but it doesn't really look like the test cars either so I think it will end up looking better. Regardless, if the V6 only comes in the auto then at least I'll save money by getting the 4-cylinder.

8. Jan 27, 2017
  9. black-supra

black-supra Active Member

Featured Threads:
    Car(s):
    Very Fast
    Tada San's promised 3 model sports car lineup looks like it might actually come true! The render looks cool but doesn't look accurate to the shape of the test cars IMO. The front hood is too long and flattened.

10. Jan 27, 2017
  11. OP
    Supra93

Supra93 Active Member

Featured Threads:
    Car(s):
    Supra, RX7, and E500
    I think the engine could come from the new LS.

http://www.supramkv.com/threads/toyotas-new-twin-turbocharged-3-5-liter-v6.566/

12. Jan 27, 2017
  13. gymratter

gymratter Active Member

Car(s):
    Silver Spur & F-150
    i like the rendering, but im going to nitpick a little. the wheels are slightly off when compared to the prototype. i still think there will be an air vent in front of the rear wheels. based on the latest spy shots there is a panel by the door area to hide something. also im still hoping for door mounted mirrors.

[​IMG]

Supraman likes this.
  14. Jan 27, 2017
  15. Supraman Active Member

Car(s):
    IS300 / Xterra
    'Concept' near then end of 2017. If it was production I would say we would see it next year. Chances are 2019 is when consumers will be able to purchase one. The engine/transmission in there better be bullet proof with the amount of time they are taking.

All worst case scenario I'm looking forward in seeing what is to come out of the SF-R car.

16. Jan 27, 2017
  17. gymratter

gymratter Active Member

Car(s):
    Silver Spur & F-150
    the final design is probably already done. with this concept i believe they just want to keep the car relevant and in the news. so they are going to show off a near production version to try and keep people interested and talking. kinda like what BMW does with their "concepts".

18. Jan 27, 2017
  19. Supraman Active Member

Car(s):
    IS300 / Xterra
    ^I'm sure you're right. The main question here is how long is this 2nd concept suppose to be relevant for before the production version is shown and the actual car available for sale. 6 months? Another year or 2?

Production cars are usually displayed 8months+ before the car is sitting on lots. I just find it hard that they will show a production model at Detroit in Jan 2018 to have the car selling late 2018 when a concept was revealed 2months prior (tokyo this year). That's why I think early/late 2019 is when maybe we'll see one for sale...maybe. But I could be completely wrong as well.

And keep in mind all mark ups dealerships will be asking for the first few months maybe year. Unless you're willing to pay that, it means you're waiting even longer possibly 2020.

20. Jan 27, 2017
  21. HKz

HKz Active Member

Car(s):
    FRS
    if the S-FR and this Corolla are true then technically Toyota will have more than 4 sports cars in the lineup with the 86. (even more if we include Lexus models)

22. Jan 28, 2017
  23. zigzagz94

zigzagz94 New Member

Car(s):
    BRZ, 3g Eclipse
    Still no talk of a manual transmission. Starting to get worried. I will not purchase if auto is the only option.

24. Jan 28, 2017
  25. Supraman Active Member

Car(s):
    IS300 / Xterra
    Rumors a few years ago was Toyota was looking into a manual sequential gear box. I think this may be a surprise they have in this car and share it with the BMW Z5 only to get BMW's DCT as another option to use for this car. No other car manufactor that I know of has produced a manual sequential gear box on a production car. Though a standard manual is also wecomed.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  26. Jan 28, 2017
  27. HKz

HKz Active Member

Car(s):
    FRS
    I would actually be a bit shocked if this came with a manual. I imagine Toyota will follow Honda and Nissan with their trans choices. Remember, this is a cost savings project ^^

...now the most interesting question is how much will the Supra cost. Do they price it higher or lower than the RC F ($62 K USD)? If it is priced lower than the RC F then does that mean the Supra's performance gets capped out in order to keep the RC F faster? Otherwise if it ends up being a bargain compared to the RC F, does that also potentially cannibalize any of BMWs sales which have been dwindling/stagnating in most markets? If it is priced higher than the RC F then we face the same problem with the MK4 TT Supra where no one bought them..

If the 3.5 TT from the new Lexus LS comes into play here I think we will be looking at a scary price tag..

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  28. Jan 31, 2017
  29. Craigy

Craigy Active Member

Featured Threads:
    Car(s):
    M3, Lexus GX
    It shouldn't be another Supra concept at Tokya, it should be the real-deal production car. If they continue to stretch this with another concept then the relevance of the car will diminish even more than it already has.

For real. :p

If all of the rumored horsepower figures are true, then it certainly has to be a cheaper car than the RCF, something priced more like a Nissan Z. Even if the power/performance figures were equal, FT1 Supra should offer a decent discount vs the RCF as it is supposed to be a non-lux vehicle.

If it actually arrives as a legitimate sportscar then it could definitely be in the same ballpark price-wise as the RCF. Especially if you can option it up with similar levels of luxury.

I believe I read somewhere long ago that the BMW/Toyota partnership was designed purposely to avoid cannibalism, since presumably a Toyota buyer is very different than a BMW buyer. That makes some sense. Even still, I can see one car being artificially capped by BMW's offering, Lexus's other offerings, etc., which will be a real shame.

gymratter likes this.