Big news Supra fans! We look to have our first major clue that Toyota will be reviving the Supra name.
On February 10, 2014, Toyota Motor Corporation filed to renew its trademark for the use of the SUPRA name. The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) fiiling covers "automobiles and structural parts thereof"
This is a must-read on the birth of the Toyota FT-1 concept from the Calty Design Research studios. The timeline of events from idea to real-life concept included:
- March 2012: Calty makes pitch to Toyota top management
- May 2012: Toyota gives formal go-ahead for Calty to begin work
- June 2012: Calty team takes field trip to Las Vegas Speedway
- June 2012: Decision made for car to be front-engine/rear-drive layout
Toyota just dropped the news that the FT-1 Concept will be coming to Gran Turismo 6 on January 14, 2014!
Yes, the concept that previews the next Supra will be available as a downloadable vehicle in this virtual driving simulator. Race fans can experience FT-1 exclusively in GT6 where the FT-1 was created digitally to realistically demonstrate what a production FT-1 could achieve.
In addition to the creation of the FT-1 in GT6, Toyota is also represented in the groundbreaking Vision Gran Turismo project. The resulting concepts will be released exclusively on GT6 throughout the year.
In celebration of its 40th anniversary, Toyota's Calty Design has created the FT-1 concept and released this brief history.
- From humble beginnings, Calty Design Research has become a pre-eminent automotive design center strongly influencing Toyota vehicle designs
- Calty studios play a critical role in Toyota’s North American regional autonomy strategy
- The Toyota FT-1 Concept is the culmination of Calty’s long history with sports car design
Page 6 of 6