0W20 VS 5W30 VS 0W40 Motor oil for track use

OverRev

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 SUPRA
Hi Guys, couple months ago I took my 2021 supra to track for the first time when it was completely stock. The ambient temp was moderate ~25C on a dry day, I drove it pretty hard as I am quite familiar with the track. The oil temp and water temp remained stable but I did feel a little power drop after 4-5 hot laps. At the end of the day I saw a warning on dash for low engine oil and I found it burnt ~1L oil after 5 x 20min sessions. Anyone else experience this amount of oil consumption on track?

With my previous experience with other turbo cars, FK8/turbo MX5/M2 N55 etc.. I found running factory recommended 0W20 is really just for fuel economy, and factory also recommend 5W30 as alternative option for warmer climate. I experience oil temp spike and major overheating issue with my FK8 running 0W20, as well as overheating when running 5W30 on my turbo miata. After switching to Motul 300V 0W40, the issue was greatly improved (along with other cooling mods like A/C delete, Meth/water inj. Ethanol mix etc)

So what do you run on track for HPDE, 0W20 or 5W30 or 0W40? and do you experience and heat soak and oil consumption issue as well?
Sponsored

Last edited:

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
How many miles were on your car when you did this? I had about a liter of oil consumption in the first 3k miles with mixed street/track use. Nothing from then on out to the about 6k I'm at currently. That being said, I have purchased and will be switching to LiquiMoly 5w30 within the next couple of weeks for this summer's activities.

OP
OP

OverRev

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 SUPRA
How many miles were on your car when you did this? I had about a liter of oil consumption in the first 3k miles with mixed street/track use. Nothing from then on out to the about 6k I'm at currently. That being said, I have purchased and will be switching to LiquiMoly 5w30 within the next couple of weeks for this summer's activities.
I had ~9000km on it when I took it to track the first time, but first oil change was done at 3000km at dealerhsip, and kinda winter driving/storage for the next 6000km.

3TMagnetMan

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 premium
I had ~9000km on it when I took it to track the first time, but first oil change was done at 3000km at dealerhsip, and kinda winter driving/storage for the next 6000km.
Before going to the track its a good idea to change the engine oil and filter.

OP
OP

OverRev

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 SUPRA
Yup, will likely go 300V 0W40 before my next track day. I have another dedicated track car so frankly not gonna use the supra for track much. But I am curious to know what viscosity of oil other are using and if anyone has oil consumption issue like me.

LVCATZ

First Name
Ameer
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV A90, S4 B8
Hi Guys, couple months ago I took my 2021 supra to track for the first time when it was completely stock. The ambient temp was moderate ~25C on a dry day, I drove it pretty hard as I am quite familiar with the track. The oil temp and water temp remained stable but I did feel a little power drop after 4-5 hot laps. At the end of the day I saw a warning on dash for low engine oil and I found it burnt ~1L oil after 5 x 20min sessions. Anyone else experience this amount of oil consumption on track?

With my previous experience with other turbo cars, FK8/turbo MX5/M2 N55 etc.. I found running factory recommended 0W20 is really just for fuel economy, and factory also recommend 5W30 as alternative option for warmer climate. I experience oil temp spike and major overheating issue with my FK8 running 0W20, as well as overheating when running 5W30 on my turbo miata. After switching to Motul 300V 0W40, the issue was greatly improved (along with other cooling mods like A/C delete, Meth/water inj. Ethanol mix etc)

So what do you run on track for HPDE, 0W20 or 5W30 or 0W40? and do you experience and heat soak and oil consumption issue as well?
For the past 9 months, I usually need a quart of oil every 1,500 miles. However, I did 5 x 20 minutes sessions and also needed a quart by the time I got home. I know I was full before leaving the house.

I think and hope a lot was due to blow-by. I am running a Pure800 93 Tune.

I just ordered 5W40 to see if that helps.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Posted this in another thread but seems appropriate here as well...

Oil report after 23 track days, the last three of them being with the Pure 700 turbo and tune. 10,140 total miles.

Motul 8100 XCESS 5w/40 since 1500 miles.

SupraBlackStoneReport_June2023.png

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2016 VW Tiguan, 2007 Cayman
Got my analysis kit waiting for my next oil change with Liquid Moly 5W-30 special tech. I'll wait until I get a few more events on my engine. I have 3 so far on this oil change.

I did one track day in 2022 with the OEM 0W-20, but changed to 5W-30 we'll see how my engine looks at ~35K.

Marsone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ISF, FRS
All I can say on this, is the IMSA Supra GT4 uses (per an oil engineer with the team) 0w-40. If it’s good enough for them, it’s good enough for me.

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
I can't see how running a heavier oil will have any beneficial affects on engine oil temperature at a track day. Does anyone have any actual measured or technical data on the ability of a 20 weight oil to absorb/carry less heat from hot components compared to a 30 or 40 weight. I've looked for data on the thermal carrying capacity of different oil weights and never found any. Don't confuse this with me saying you should not run a heavier weight oil for the track or even other conditions for that matter but saying changing to a heavier grade oil improved the oil temp seems a little like wishful thinking to me. Any variation is more likely to have been due to ambient and driving conditions at the different track days.
The general rule of thumb for engine oil weight at operating temp is the ability to hold the targeted oil pressure. So at the track where the engine will be run under higher heat conditions and oil temp is expected to be higher the upper viscosity is chosen by virtue of what oil pressure you are experiencing under those conditions. So the general rule of thumb for oil pressure is 10 psi/1000 rpm. So at 6000rpm you should be seeing around 60 psi oil pressure, about. So if you're at a track day in hot weather and you see 40 psi at 6000rpm then it's probably a good idea to go up a grade or maybe 2 grades to maintain the target pressure. At a winter track day you may not need to as oil temp may be lower/more under control.
Of course 20 weight oils are primarily for economy targets these days so as a general observation a 30 weight is probably a better option for all conditions except winter driving in Colorado or somewhere.
Oil consumption V weight is another topic.
Phil
Sponsored