2019 Toyota Supra - First Prototype Spotted! Photos & Video Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Though I do get your point with the LC500. That was my theory at one point. But realistically I think this partnership is the spawn of the Supra successor. As to how much BMW involvement is in it is yet to be known. I'm hoping it's just a shared platform and maybe shared transmissions (rear-mounted transaxle as Levi has pointed out before). We'll have to keep waiting...
Sponsored

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
Well, you see that in the same period, prototypes of a roadster and a coupe were spotted, but they are significantly different. It was long known that the Toyota will be a Coupe and the BMW a roadster. Also, this car is like supposed (otherwise why the partnership?) to be like the Alfa 4C, or more precisely the i3 and i8, a CF chassis. That is the reason why this car is expected to be really fast and fun, relatively high horse power (not like GT86), yet very light (lighter than Porsche 718), so it should easily punch higher than its category, while being relatively affordable.
So just because they were different that is your basis of proof? Do you happen to believe in religion and God too? Tell me what platform in the history of automobiles changes between a hardtop 2+2 coupe and roadster? NONE. You're just guessing, there is ZERO proof... Why would Toyota want help building a CF chassis when they've already done this? To save money? Then why spend the money to develop the LC platform, which uses some CF mind you, on their own for a smaller production vehicle? The ONLY real proof of the partnership is the fact that Toyota uses a couple diesel engines from BMW in Europe.

^ This. It all started in 2012 when Toyota/BMW signed their agreement https://www.google.com/amp/www.auto...utline-new-tech-joint-venture-new-sports-car/

There are videos in the video section of this site where Tada San breifly talks about the 'Supra' and saying it is being looked into, 'please be patient'. This mule reflects a lot of the FT-1 traits.
Yes, Tada-san tells us to stay patient with the Supra but where the fuck does the hint they are doing this with BMW?

There is zero factual proof, you are all going off fake bait articles online and speculating completely wrong. Why is it that we have so many videos of Tada-san talking about changes with the GT86 but zero videos and tapes about this BMW crap and news about the new Supra. The camo coupe looks nothing like the FT1, you guys are kidding yourselves trying to compare them. Have you guys seen a Z4M...? This prototype vehicle looks much more like a Z4M and it doesn't even have backseats.

What else can you guys tell me from Rumorville? It is all BS...and it is quite amazing how so many of you are on-board with such a prospect. I love both BMW and Toyota so it would make me upset if either of them had to use the other to help build their halo cars.. (imagine how blasphemous it would be if the M4 was shared with a Toyota chassis/platform).

Last edited:

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
So just because they were different that is your basis of proof? Do you happen to believe in religion and God too? Tell me what platform in the history of automobiles changes between a hardtop 2+2 coupe and roadster? NONE. You're just guessing, there is ZERO proof... Why would Toyota want help building a CF chassis when they've already done this? To save money? Then why spend the money to develop the LC platform, which uses some CF mind you, on their own for a smaller production vehicle? The ONLY real proof of the partnership is the fact that Toyota uses a couple diesel engines from BMW in Europe.

Yes, Tada-san tells us to stay patient with the Supra but where the fuck does the hint they are doing this with BMW?

There is zero factual proof, you are all going off fake bait articles online and speculating completely wrong. Why is it that we have so many videos of Tada-san talking about changes with the GT86 but zero videos and tapes about this BMW crap and news about the new Supra. The camo coupe looks nothing like the FT1, you guys are kidding yourselves trying to compare them. Have you guys seen a Z4M...? This prototype vehicle looks much more like a Z4M and it doesn't even have backseats.

What else can you guys tell me from Rumorville? It is all BS...and it is quite amazing how so many of you are on-board with such a prospect. I love both BMW and Toyota so it would make me upset if either of them had to use the other to help build their halo cars.. (imagine how blasphemous it would be if the M4 was shared with a Toyota chassis/platform).
The two links below are from official BMW and Toyota web page.

This is from a BMW press release. Using common sense, the only "mid size" sports car Toyota is missing is something a long the lines of a Supra replacement.

2. Sports vehicle
The companies agreed to set-up a feasibility study to define a joint platform concept for a mid-size sports vehicle that is to be completed by the end of 2013.
The two companies aim to combine each other's technology and knowledge at a high level to maximise customer satisfaction. Both companies are to share the vision to further collaborate in the field of sports vehicle development.
From an official Toyota site. Tada san him self back in 2013 quoted saying they are working with BMW on a sports car.

Actually I am flying to Munich after the [Geneva] motor show for discussion about the future cooperation with BMW. We are already discussing what we can do and the potential results of this collaboration. One of the things we learned from our cooperation with Subaru is how to bring these two different cultures together. Something like the GT86 sports car was particularly difficult in terms of collaboration, but what we can take from it is the experience of figuring out how we can get the obstacles to us working together for us. I am hoping that we can leverage this experience when we work with BMW. So just like we bought the GT86 out of our work with Subaru, I am hoping for a synergy effect with BMW that will result in a product that none of us could have imagined; something more than anyone expects. I would like that to be something like a sports car… I would even go so far as to say that for the collaboration to work we have to bring a product which exceeds all these expectations.
Concept vs prototype. The overall shape is there. Does it look 100% like the concept. No, and one reason is because Kevin Hunter said a production version would be around 10% smaller, so the proportionals are off. The designers did also say a lot of the lines and curves on the concept are exaggerated, but the final version will still have cues from the FT-1 concept. I see a lot of it in the nose, roof line, duck tail, and rear hip.

Last edited:

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
LC platform is new and also a scalable Platform used for future RWD vehicle for their line ups as Lexus management has confirmed. Yes there is still a slim chance the Supra will spawn from it. So if not the FT-1 what car does this mule resemble? The Car did come out of a BMW M test center. This mule does not resemble the BMW CSL 3.0 hommage. A BMW with a nose? Seems like Toyota is using more noses on their newer vehicles.

If you're saying this is the next gen 86, is this coming out before the Supra? No concept shown to get the public to see their perception of the next generation of the 86?

What do you know HKz that none of us do? Where's your proof that all these rumors are just that?

We're all on the same boat. You are as right or wrong as all of us unless you're involved in this project or know someone who is. Welcome to the club of 'wtf is Toyota doing?'

Last edited:

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
Though I do get your point with the LC500. That was my theory at one point. But realistically I think this partnership is the spawn of the Supra successor. As to how much BMW involvement is in it is yet to be known. I'm hoping it's just a shared platform and maybe shared transmissions (rear-mounted transaxle as Levi has pointed out before). We'll have to keep waiting...
Knowing BMW, I don't think it will get transaxle. BMW always cheapens out, like the lack of double wishbone front suspension for example, only now with the new 5 Series the availability of AWS in combination of AWD, etc. There are many more examples.

From an engineering point, there is nothing difficult for the Supra/Z to get transaxle, as the platform is developed from scratch, and so should the suspension for a worth sports car (otherwise it isn't one). Maserati has no more transaxle on their new Quattroporte/Ghibli (because related to Chrysler 300?) which use a front mounted ZF tranny, but Aston Martin, that used the same sequential transaxle from Oerlikon Graziano as the previous Quattroporte, now also has ZF tranny, but still transaxle that was specially built that way. Lexus also uses ZF front mounted auto tranny as BMW do, so if they (BMW/Toyota) wanted, they could get a transaxle. But it will never happen, again mainly because of BMW. No transaxle in the new Supra is a deal breaker for me, more so than a BMW I6.

Just wait. You'll see how it turns out.

No I don't believe in religion and God. But you believing in politics and "science" are no better.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
The roof, two inter door, and trunk panels seems to be the only thing that is CF on the Lexus LC.

xus_lc_500_056_6a5e23b3f6728e233f84a2e912d05932fe5c4d5d_499f08a4d5bd8c1cbb6f20a8cb7b5040a585e834.jpg

VS BMW's i8

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
Knowing BMW, I don't think it will get transaxle. BMW always cheapens out, like the lack of double wishbone front suspension for example, only now with the new 5 Series the availability of AWS in combination of AWD, etc. There are many more examples.

From an engineering point, there is nothing difficult for the Supra/Z to get transaxle, as the platform is developed from scratch, and so should the suspension for a worth sports car (otherwise it isn't one). Maserati has no more transaxle on their new Quattroporte/Ghibli (because related to Chrysler 300?) which use a front mounted ZF tranny, but Aston Martin, that used the same sequential transaxle from Oerlikon Graziano as the previous Quattroporte, now also has ZF tranny, but still transaxle that was specially built that way. Lexus also uses ZF front mounted auto tranny as BMW do, so if they (BMW/Toyota) wanted, they could get a transaxle. But it will never happen, again mainly because of BMW. No transaxle in the new Supra is a deal breaker for me, more so than a BMW I6.

Just wait. You'll see how it turns out.

No I don't believe in religion and God. But you believing in politics and "science" are no better.
I didn't state my beliefs, I only went with confirmed info. Everything that has been mentioned in this thread has been the writing of an internet journalist except for the acknowledgement of a partnership which is truly the only confirmed bit...after that was announced it was baseless speculation one after another.. Has anyone watched Shattered Glass?

The prototype really gives no true indication, people can easily put those pictures next to certain angles of the Z4M and make it appear similar.. Obviously we must wait and see, but the amount of excitement for a supposed Frankensteinian build of a Supra successor developed by BMW is sickening...again no I don't dislike BMW even a bit, but if this is true then Toyota loses a piece of its heritage to the Germans. Sad to think that Nissan and Honda go all out on their own for their halo cars while Toyota doesn't and only bothers to make a new platform for a low production Lexus. It is quite surprising that this forum seemingly doesn't have an angry mob about the situation like you see in Youtube chat threads.

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^ I speak for myself but some of us have been on this forum since the FT-1 came out. Many of us have spoken on how we feel about the Supra successor being a joint venture with BMW for 2 yrs now. I feel the same way, nothing against BMW but a Halo car like the Supra should be full DNA in house. It's been over 2 yrs since the concept. I stand by saying I do want a Supra reborn all in house. However, if BMW is involved so long as it's just the platform and possibly tranny (6 speed manual) I can live with that. If it's more than that do not name it Supra. Chances of me being interested at that point will be less but not ruling it out completely until I see what's out, price, performance.

Toyota did this with Subaru for the 86. It sucks if they do go this route but truth is Toyota has not been the Toyota of old and the twins are a big reason as to why I can see this car being a BMW joint outcome. I see your theory about the old Supra and SC. So we'll see but no need to point fingers or offend people for thinking the only thing that is being reported may be true.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
The prototype really gives no true indication, people can easily put those pictures next to certain angles of the Z4M and make it appear similar.. Obviously we must wait and see, but the amount of excitement for a supposed Frankensteinian build of a Supra successor developed by BMW is sickening...again no I don't dislike BMW even a bit, but if this is true then Toyota loses a piece of its heritage to the Germans. Sad to think that Nissan and Honda go all out on their own for their halo cars while Toyota doesn't and only bothers to make a new platform for a low production Lexus. It is quite surprising that this forum seemingly doesn't have an angry mob about the situation like you see in Youtube chat threads.
Than can you please explain why the convertible clearly shows BMW's kidney bean grill. The coupe has the FT-HS / FT-1 / facelift 86 nose. It doesn't make any sense for BMW to just slap a nose onto what you people are saying is the "coupe Z5". Also why are the lines on the door different on the two cars?

Actually, you are wrong. Many people on here in past threads wanted a TOYOTA engine and not BMW's. But many of us have came to accept the fact that it will probably be heavily influenced by BMW.

ex:
http://www.supramkv.com/threads/what-are-you-ok-not-ok-with-new-supra-sharing-with-bmw.92/
http://www.supramkv.com/threads/new-rumors-from-c-d-2018-supra-to-get-bmw-inline-six-engine.179/

Its funny you bring up Lexus. I actually do agreed with you to a point. Infiniti and Acura are a joke. Lexus on the other hand is pretty well established. So from their POV it make sense to "keep it up".

Last edited:

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
At the end we are all fans of something. While we think Toyota/Lexus is superior to BMW, the BMW fans think otherwise, and for them they see the BMW as a Toyota and that is a disgrace for them.

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
The prototype really gives no true indication, people can easily put those pictures next to certain angles of the Z4M and make it appear similar..
You are correct. Most front engine sport cars have this similar look, long hood and short deck. However, IMO, the prototype in question has more in common with FT1 concept when it comes to overall size and proportion than compared to the Z4M.

2018-19 Toyota Supra-6.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.