2019 Toyota Supra Prototype Reveals Production Intent Design/Parts

Who do you think is behind the wheel of the Supra?

• White guy

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • Asian guy

Votes: 23 63.9%

• Total voters

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
i think it kinda sounds like the current Z4.
Sponsored

Stanri010

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
IS300
It doesn't sound like a boxer 4. Alternatively, it sounds kind of like a BMW engine which I have mixed feelings about.

The one big plus is you notice how fast that thing shifts? Between the shifts and exhaust sound, it kind of reminds me of the M2.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
i think its going to have a N55 under the hood.

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/2019-toyota-supra-spied-0916/

Inside, the steering wheel and switchgear look straight out of the BMW parts bin. The tachometer redlines at 7,000 rpm, which is where BMW’s N55 turbocharged inline-six engine tops out. (The twin-turbocharged S55 in the M3 and M4 redlines at 7,500 rpm). An iDrive controller is clearly visible, as is part of BMW’s electronic shifter.

toyota-supra-prototype-spied-06.jpg

JohnnyTX

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Celica GTS (05)
It doesn't sound like a boxer 4. Alternatively, it sounds kind of like a BMW engine which I have mixed feelings about.

The one big plus is you notice how fast that thing shifts? Between the shifts and exhaust sound, it kind of reminds me of the M2.
Sounds like a Mezger engine to me. JK.

It does sound like it could be a BMW N55 engine with BMW dual clutch transmission

MotorFF

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Now it kind of makes sense why Toyota teamed with BMW - same engine line up and same platform will cut the costs considerably for both sides. In Oz BMW M2, with the N55, is a $100k car, and M4 is $160k - would this new Supra possibly undercut the M2 pricing?!?!

MotorFF

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Same engine, different exhaust - completely agree with that..but I've just been listening to some M2 engine noises and compared to this the M2's N55 sounds less rough. Could this be a 4cyl version of both cars, thus we have the dinky high profile, narrow tyres on the Supra prototype too?

Stanri010

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
IS300
Notice how the Supra has a little fart sound as it upshifts? That's the signature dual clutch upshift sound as the engine cuts fuel to bring down the revs to match the upshifted gear. It's a signature sound of the BMW M2 whenever you lift the gas or upshift on the dual clutch version. Interestingly, the manual BMW M2 seems to lack this sound / fuel cutoff when you upshift.

This is almost confirmation that the Supra is going to come with a dual clutch transmission and a very high probability that it's going to be a BMW engine. TBH, I would have preferred a Toyota engine but I guess a BMW inline 6 is a second best compromise :)

Supra @ 0:18

BMW M2 @ 1:30

jm6k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars
Seems pretty solid to me.

That engine's available with a stick too right?

Stanri010

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
IS300
I'd imagine that's a possibility. According to the reviewers, the M2 manual transmission is apparently very good.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
This is almost confirmation that the Supra is going to come with a dual clutch transmission and a very high probability that it's going to be a BMW engine. TBH, I would have preferred a Toyota engine but I guess a BMW inline 6 is a second best compromise :)
if that is the case, then toyota is really doing a lot of work here ^^

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
First time I see both cars I think. Maybe one is running BMW I6 and the other the Toyota V6. Toyota still hasn't decided what to go with lol. Probably 1 hybrid and the other non.
Sponsored