2020 Supra Transmission Chat - Manual, Dual Clutch, or Auto?

What kind of transmission are you hoping for?

• Manual

Votes: 72 68.6%
  • DCT

Votes: 26 24.8%
  • Auto

Votes: 7 6.7%

• Total voters

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Well, there goes ever buying a new Toyota, manual option on a sports car is not up for discussion. I talked to a Toyota dealer already about the Supra.
Seems like the only ones left in the game of manual RWD cars are Porsche, Lotus, BMW and a handful of kit car companies and the one odd model from large brands (Miata, Giulia, ...?).

Hope dies last though, but I'm not holding hope high for now, otherwise I'll just be disappointed if nothing happens.
....and....every current American Muscle car, and Jeepā€™s....i mean come on, Jeepā€™s too!!!
Sponsored

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
I feel as though the Z4 will not be getting a manual either, but not sure.

The mandate isn't just a Toyota phenomenon.

Last edited:

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Folks have to remember that this is a brand new, unreleased car. The other cars being compared to as far as manuals are already on the market, and not shockingly some of them only come in auto in the US (signs of things to come, like the Guilia for example).

This is gonna be a big thing going forward and its a damn shame IMO.

European market cars might still get manuals for the time being though... Not sure how that's gonna work out, maybe just wont have manuals in the US, and if a cars target market is the US in general might just be auto globally like the Supra.

Last edited:

Jeff Lange

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AE86, GSE21
The Z4 mule was definitely sporting a manual transmission, but that can of course mean nothing when it comes to production or to driveline similarities for the Supra.

I've known the death of the manual transmission was imminent, but had hoped for a bit more time.

Looks like I better start working on some MT swap setups to sell moving forward.

Jeff

MisssterFFF

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan 370Z
Despite all rumors, I truly hoped that we would be offered the option of a manual transmission. It was simply a logical option for a sports car from my point of view. It sure is a disapointment even if itā€™s not totally unexpected given the current trends in the auto industry. I guess I gravely underestimated the rate of change or it was wilful blindness.

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Meanwhile, elsewhere... 2019 Mustang GTs will have a rev-matching manual...

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Last edited:

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
And Guff nailed it.

My final information for you all:

Spoke with a junior engineer and they confirmed the manual was left out due to projected take rate in the US being 20%, with the US also projected to be just over half of all global sales.

That alone did not doom the manual though, apparently US safety mandates along with Toyota compliance in things like collision protection, lane guidance, etc is what did it.

It was going to cost $500m to develop and implement a system capable of moving past these issues and as such they decided to not bother. Apparently going forward, Toyota will no longer build any new manual vehicles which is more or less already done. It is also directly related to why the 86 has no planned updates at this time; not the only reason though.

There is no actual consideration for a manual at this time.
Screenshot_2018-03-15-21-46-31.png

decryphe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1984 AE86 Trueno GT-Apex 2-door, and a Camry
The Mustang is riding on the same platform from like 2015 despite cosmetic updates. I'm also not sure when companies have to institute all the safety stuff as standard vs optional as I'm sure Toyota is being proactive vs reactive.

EDIT: found the legislation causing all of this.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/best-cars-with-automatic-emergency-braking-systems
Thanks. It's all just going entirely overboard.

I'm really looking forward to these systems getting spoofed, causing pileups behind a suddenly stopping car.

M.powered7

First Name
Mehdi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Prelude
I'm a very nostalgic person, about everything, including cars, manual transmissions can be super fun....but the thing is, we can't really blame Toyota to wanna make the new Supra fit it's own era... The previous Supra was manual yes, but only because it fit it's era. I know it's a sad thing to read for gearheads like us but thats evolution...F1 cars are auto, and if the new Supra is going to be a track beast it just has to be auto....If I had enough money Id have a modern beast with a super fast DCT and a retro type car with a manual lol. Plus maybe BMW imposed the automatic trans? Maybe they were affraid the Supra would eat the Z and the 2 series market if it was available as a manual? Idk

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'm a very nostalgic person, about everything, including cars, manual transmissions can be super fun....but the thing is, we can't really blame Toyota to wanna make the new Supra fit it's own era... The previous Supra was manual yes, but only because it fit it's era. I know it's a sad thing to read for gearheads like us but thats evolution...F1 cars are auto, and if the new Supra is going to be a track beast it just has to be auto....If I had enough money Id have a modern beast with a super fast DCT and a retro type car with a manual lol. Plus maybe BMW imposed the automatic trans? Maybe they were affraid the Supra would eat the Z and the 2 series market if it was available as a manual? Idk
I don't think Toyota would let BMW stop their decision. They had an agreement on what the car had to be. A front engine, rwd car, share the same chassis and engine, but then from there on out, do their own thing with the workings of the car until it is not the same.

If Toyota wanted it to be a manual, they could have done it, but considering they are the leading example of reliability in the world and wanting to keep that standard with a hsiny new car, I don't think they'd fork over 500 mill on a return that wouldn't jsutify the cost just to appease old heads and enthusiasts. Now, if someone wanted to fork that over, be my guest.

Rotaryrunner

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mazda RX 8
Vehicle Showcase
I'd like to have a dct or a manual, but I am not so sure about that tourqe converter though.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'd like to have a dct or a manual, but I am not so sure about that tourqe converter though.
It's 2018 going into 2019, maybe we'll be seeing a DCT or at least, a torque converter that can change gears faster than the 86 does.

I mean, the Mazda 6 will be having paddle shifters in their new model soon soooo.
Sponsored