Toyota Supra vs Ford Mustang

Denton

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 3.0 MT
I'd be blown away if you didn't enjoy that 8 speed transmission. I've always preached manual trans as the way to go...then I drove a modern, fast shifting auto. Gone are the days of 'slush boxes,' this thing shifts faster than I can *decide* to shift, let alone perform the action.

What really sold me on it was the downshifting. In sport mode, it's aggressive downshifts seem telepathic.
My only real beef with the transmission is that I can feel the torque converter if I don't floor it in 1st (e.g. from any light in moderate traffic) and that the shift up into 2nd seems delayed ever so slightly if you shift below something like 4k rpm (e.g. if I'm just rolling along in a parking lot).
Sponsored

Viselord

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru BRZ
I'd be blown away if you didn't enjoy that 8 speed transmission. I've always preached manual trans as the way to go...then I drove a modern, fast shifting auto. Gone are the days of 'slush boxes,' this thing shifts faster than I can *decide* to shift, let alone perform the action.

What really sold me on it was the downshifting. In sport mode, it's aggressive downshifts seem telepathic.
A lot of people have been praising how good this auto is and if there is an auto that is going to change their view on 'manual only', it would be this one. Really looking forward to experiencing it myself.

silverarrow

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
I agree on the downshifts on the supra (burble and all on a stock exhaust) not as exciting and higher pitched sound of my former GT3 991.1 with sharkwerks bypass (Only car you'll truly hear at COTA).

a90moe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
Looked into the GT350 many times

Seriously an amazing machine.. The looks, the FPC sound, the 8K limiter, the 6spd manual

But I never bought one despite it having a perfect recipe.. Why? Because way to many cars have blown their motors and issues with oil consumption

a90moe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
My only real beef with the transmission is that I can feel the torque converter if I don't floor it in 1st (e.g. from any light in moderate traffic) and that the shift up into 2nd seems delayed ever so slightly if you shift below something like 4k rpm (e.g. if I'm just rolling along in a parking lot).
Very true.. Response on lower rpms is bad

High rpms is a different story

Z8AKU

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Lokki
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra GR Premium - 2018 Lexus LC500 Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
The sad part is I'd be happier owning the GT350 rather than the Supra. Although, I am always a 2jz-Supra die-hard fan.

That Manual transmisson and the third pedal is a very big factor in owning this car. The automatic will soon gets boring, just like what faced so many GTR R35 owners, they just got bored.
We GT-R owners never got bored with the DCT. 600whp while running borderline 9 second 1/4 miles never got boring even in full auto ripping down the track. Most of us sold our GT-R's because the next power level from FBO/E85 cost another $20,000+ to run another 150-200whp. More importantly, every little Youtuber, influencer and Instagram celeb seems to all have one now since they can be bought used for $50K making the car less exclusive to drive for older auto enthusiasts.

racer01

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Vehicle Showcase
Looked into the GT350 many times

Seriously an amazing machine.. The looks, the FPC sound, the 8K limiter, the 6spd manual

But I never bought one despite it having a perfect recipe.. Why? Because way to many cars have blown their motors and issues with oil consumption
Guess i gotta chime into this tread, not only since i have owned both (18' GT350 and currently own Supra) but also couldn't read the section quoted above without a reply.
Loved the GT350 enough to buy one....great drivers car and really fun when pushed hard. Did a track day at local road course at 1k miles and was hooked and looking forward to making it a streetable track car. I bought extra wheels/tires and brake pads and planned to really enjoy it as the perfect streetable DE car. Next event at 1800 miles on car (3 months old) and I did 3 laps at a VIR track weekend and motor put a rod through the block. It never burned oil and was not low on oil. Subsequent research research and the fact the car had already had other issues (splittter ripped off at 130 mph on first track day and thermostat stuck wide open) made me decide to trade it as soon as Ford fixed it, which was also a joke....took 2 months to get parts and Ford service is about what I'd expect if I owned a Fiesta or whatever.

Still love the GT350 and would halfway consider the GT500 but my experience with quality makes it tough to overcome, even though its hard to match the raw edge feel and I loved flying under the radar in "just a mustang".

Another point of reference regarding the ZF 8 speed. Most love it and that is great, but after my GT350 I had a DSG M3 (17'), PDK-S GT3, tuned DSG Golf R, and Dual Clutch NSX. I'd say the ZF is pretty damn good for a street car but depending on your reference point it isn't quite up there as "the best". Love it for normal street driving which is where most dual clutches have quirks.....NSX won't downshift to 1st at any more than walking speed, PDK-S is noisy (but amazing!), M3 DCT was jerky in the faster shift speeds, and Golf-R really needed the DSG tuned to get it to shift anything near expectation in auto mode.

Overall I really, really like the Supra but can't say the ZF is a major selling point to me, but it is good enough to not distract from the car as well. Did a weekend at VIR and it works very well on track so that is a major plus for me long term. To me the paddle response and shift times are great, but just a little jerky both up and downshifting at times. I know I am spoiled as last two dual clutches were world class (GT3 and NSX) so just adding my $0.2 with lots of explanation. ZF would be just about perfect if they could rev match the up and downshifts a little better, but rotational weight of torque converter and planetary setup just can't be made to act like a true dual clutch....the damn GT3 revved like a 2-stoke dirt bike and felt like it had a 2lb flywheel!

Having said all that I'm loving the Supra overall and will keep it a while and do regular track days with it as I can. For the money there isn't much out there that can compare as being playful and fun, trackable, and also does the daily commute like it was a BMW 3 series.

racer01

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Vehicle Showcase
Was your GT350 tuned or touched in any way?
Nope....dead stock except brake pads.

Ford wouldn't disclose what happened and couldn't tell me if the issue was fixed for my new replacement motor. Not the best customer service. They have had plenty of Voodoo motor issues and they know what is failing (actually multiple issues...some burn oil, some spin a main rod bearing, some oil pump gears fail, etc.) I don't like being kept in the dark. Great car but I don't have time for poor customer service and feeling like I am driving a ticking time bomb.
Ironically 2 cars later I was in a 991.1 GT3 with known engine issues but Porsche acknowledges possible issue, extends engine warranty to 10ry/100k miles, and gets motors replaced quickly even if failed on the track.

Issues happen to the best of manufacturers...its how you deal with it that makes all the difference.

Last edited:

nksupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Isn't that time pretty slow for the Supra? Litchfield claims "473bhp" for this car, which includes a tune, catless downpipe, and GPF delete. Either that claim is ridiculously exaggerated or that was just a very slow time...

nksupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
European cars have a “gas particulate filter” in the mid pipe. Kind of like a diesel. So I think they just smash it out

Last edited:

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD

Ford wouldn't disclose what happened and couldn't tell me if the issue was fixed for my new replacement motor. Not the best customer service. They have had plenty of Voodoo motor issues and they know what is failing (actually multiple issues...some burn oil, some spin a main rod bearing, some oil pump gears fail, etc.) I don't like being kept in the dark. Great car but I don't have time for poor customer service and feeling like I am driving a ticking time bomb.
Ironically 2 cars later I was in a 991.1 GT3 with known engine issues but Porsche acknowledges possible issue, extends engine warranty to 10ry/100k miles, and gets motors replaced quickly even if failed on the track.

Issues happen to the best of manufacturers...its how you deal with it that makes all the difference.

Exactly, totally agree with your last sentence.. i was looking at the GT350 too and the random mechanical issues discouraged me from pursuing further. Picking up my Supra tomorrow.

Funny, I test drove a M2C, Camaro ss 1LE and the Supra because my last car I just got into didn't excite me like I thought it would. Only had it for one year. I was determined not to get into a car that I didn't want after only a year again. The only cars that really got me excited were the Supra and the SS 1LE. That car was fantastic. The one thing that gave me pause was the notchy tremec on the 1-2 shifts. Drove the Supra next and was hooked. My son took the test drive with me and he was all grins.....

kissmyrs

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra

I couldnt agree more
Sponsored