2020 or wait for Toyota deals on Supras?

mokleen

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
Hey all it's me again. Lol
I was able to find the exact color of a 2020 supra with low miles (3k) for a price I can afford it at, however after apr and everything it's going to come out to be 56-57k...

Basically, the price of a new one.

Should I wait for 22s or pull the trigger on the 20?
What would you all do?
Sponsored

Last edited:

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
If you can stand to wait until next year - I would. If you are dying to get one as soon as possible, then that's an OK deal in the current market. Hopefully the shortages will have been resolved in the next 6 months and supply will return to relative normalcy. That plus the release of the 400Z and a better supply of the MKV should make it easier to get better deals on one next year than this one.

As with almost any performance 2-seater... there will always be some low mileage units in the used inventory - but dealers aren't going to be able to ask full MSRP for a 2 year old pre-owned any longer.

Zupra1776

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 MKV Supra and floating toys.
Hey all it's me again. Lol
I was able to find the exact color of a 2020 supra with low miles (3k) for a price I can afford it at, however after apr and everything it's going to come out to be 56-57k...

Basically, the price of a new one.

Should I wait for 22s or pull the trigger on the 20?
What would you all do?
What do you mean after APR? Are you talking about the total price after the term of the loan?

There was someone who was just posting about how he snagged a new 2021 for 51k.

OP
OP
mokleen

mokleen

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
What do you mean after APR? Are you talking about the total price after the term of the loan?

There was someone who was just posting about how he snagged a new 2021 for 51k.
Correct. Full total price after the loan. I plan on keeping this baby until the wheel fall off

Last edited:
OP
OP
mokleen

mokleen

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
If you can stand to wait until next year - I would. If you are dying to get one as soon as possible, then that's an OK deal in the current market. Hopefully the shortages will have been resolved in the next 6 months and supply will return to relative normalcy. That plus the release of the 400Z and a better supply of the MKV should make it easier to get better deals on one next year than this one.

As with almost any performance 2-seater... there will always be some low mileage units in the used inventory - but dealers aren't going to be able to ask full MSRP for a 2 year old pre-owned any longer.
This is what my internal voice is saying.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
I'd 100% go with the slightly used, but tuneable 2020. There are a whole lot of us that wish we were in that boat. Even if you plan to keep it stock, you have a lot of potential to unlock (pun intended) there. If the unlock from mission performance turns out to be bogus, or whatever - you're going to be holding a unicorn in a couple of years -- if you plan to keep it that long.

You're going to miss out on the top end of the 6 port head, but given you can run in the 11s for $2,000-$3,000 all in, stick with the 2020.

You're talking about APRs, so I assume you mean what you pay for all in after interest on the principle. You can get that number way down by moving your payment due date towards the end of the month, and making your payment earlier, making a bunch of payments and refinancing, shopping around for a better interest rate, or a bunch of other little tricks in the book.

If you're ok with being the owner of a used car at this price, do it. I would have if I knew I wasn't going to be able to tune mine (outside of the JB4).

OP
OP
mokleen

mokleen

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'd 100% go with the slightly used, but tuneable 2020. There are a whole lot of us that wish we were in that boat. Even if you plan to keep it stock, you have a lot of potential to unlock (pun intended) there. If the unlock from mission performance turns out to be bogus, or whatever - you're going to be holding a unicorn in a couple of years -- if you plan to keep it that long.

You're going to miss out on the top end of the 6 port head, but given you can run in the 11s for $2,000-$3,000 all in, stick with the 2020.

You're talking about APRs, so I assume you mean what you pay for all in after interest on the principle. You can get that number way down by moving your payment due date towards the end of the month, and making your payment earlier, making a bunch of payments and refinancing, shopping around for a better interest rate, or a bunch of other little tricks in the book.

If you're ok with being the owner of a used car at this price, do it. I would have if I knew I wasn't going to be able to tune mine (outside of the JB4).
My other internal voice is telling me this also. :/

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My other internal voice is telling me this also. :/
Wait a second though-- If you buy the 2022 next year, you'll still pay the interest + principle on the MSRP amount (or whatever you get it for), which brings that price up to what? 59, maybe 60k?

Also, forgot to ask is the one you're looking at completely stock?

OP
OP
mokleen

mokleen

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Wait a second though-- If you buy the 2022 next year, you'll still pay the interest + principle on the MSRP amount (or whatever you get it for), which brings that price up to what? 59, maybe 60k?

Also, forgot to ask is the one you're looking at completely stock?
Yeah, I suppose - i was hoping for a good deal or 0 apr or something.
Completely stock.
Do I plan on tuning?
Maybe -but I want to drive it until the warranty ends

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah, I suppose - i was hoping for a good deal or 0 apr or something.
Completely stock.
Do I plan on tuning?
Maybe -but I want to drive it until the warranty ends
Fair responses. If you're not going to tune for 3 years (or whatever the warranty is..) and looking for those Toyota incentives -- maybe I lean the other way. A lot can happen in 3 years, and that bad boy might be tuneable by then. If you're sure you're not going to tune.. I might sway towards waiting or finding a 2021 new somewhere. (2022 isn't any better than the 2021).

OP
OP
mokleen

mokleen

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Fair responses. If you're not going to tune for 3 years (or whatever the warranty is..) and looking for those Toyota incentives -- maybe I lean the other way. A lot can happen in 3 years, and that bad boy might be tuneable by then. If you're sure you're not going to tune.. I might sway towards waiting or finding a 2021 new somewhere. (2022 isn't any better than the 2021).
Decisions decisions decisions.
Being that supra is a sports car.
I found at a used Supra that might have had damages. The Carfax report said it was clean no reported accidents and the car was serviced at a dealer for a tire replacement. I called up the dealer to ask about it and the tech mentioned that in the notes, the client said they hit something.
The car had low miles. So that's another thing that's swaying me to go towards brand new.

OP
OP
mokleen

mokleen

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Also in 3 years - i will almost be finished with the payments...

Reactions: zrk

Vexeclipse2007

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra (future)
I just got a brand new 21 supra premium 3 weeks ago for 52k (msrp a tad over 57k)before tax and fees. Deals r there. U just have to find them

OP
OP
mokleen

mokleen

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I just got a brand new 21 supra premium 3 weeks ago for 52k (msrp a tad over 57k)before tax and fees. Deals r there. U just have to find them
Where?
Did you find your particular color?
I am interested in red and it seems like red gets scooped up quick

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Turbulence, 2021 Jeep Rubicon 4xe
If you are open to buying out of state and either flying out/driving back, or having it shipped I would start by reaching out to dealers who have had 3.0 red Supra's sitting on the lot awhile. There are still brand new 2020's sitting on dealer lots. I think if you are open to out of state, you should be able to save $4-5K. Cargurus let's you search and see how long these vehicles have been sitting. I just don't think buying used makes sense when you can get a brand new one for nearly the same price right now.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/new/s...ICE&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d309
Sponsored