Sponsored

65sohc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
65 GTO, 69 Corvette, 65 Corvette 427, 23 Corvette
My last four cars, spanning 15 years, were: '06 Mustang GT, '09 GT500, '13 Boss 302, and for the last four years a '16 GT350. So it's safe to say I love Mustangs. My 350 had a Jon Lund flex fuel tune. Suffice to say e85 eliminated any lack of low end torque. The Supra is the first automatic I've ever owned and I think it's awesome. After I flashed my 91 octane tune a couple days ago I had occasion to race, and beat, a new Tesla Model S. That wouldn't have happened in the Shelby even though it is faster than the Supra simply because of the extra work involved. I am quickly becoming spoiled by the effortless nature of this car. I can always get my stick fix with my '65 GTO and '66 Mustang. I'm also looking forward to transforming it with e85.

Jae

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
330i ZHP
The only thing I'd like from the GT350 is the 6 speed into the Supra.

Otherwise, the added 600lbs of weight is too much. I'll gladly trade power for weight. Especially when power is so easy to make with turbocharged cars.

65sohc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
More like 400 lbs. but I agree. The Supra feels like a go kart compared to the Mustang.

65sohc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford missed an opportunity with the current S550 Mustang platform. They should have followed the same course as Toyota and eliminated the back seat that nobody ever uses. Rumors prior to its launch were that the entire car was going to be 10% smaller and 10% lighter when in reality the opposite was true. I think the Supra is a perfect size for a sportscar. Ingress and egress require more than average dexterity but once in it fits like a glove.

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
Any particular reason why you prefer the Supra? Is it the better driving car?

I am looking to upgrade my BRZ to either the Supra or GT350. Not sure which direction to go to since I can't get a test drive in the Supra yet.
There are really 3 choices between the Supra and GT350. 2 different model year 3.0 Supras and the Mustang.

Full disclosure, I do not own either but have driven the 2020, 2021 and GT350 briefly. Maybe a couple of hours of seat time in each. On the street not track. I owned a BRZ.

No doubt both are fun in their own ways. I would think the bias between the two might weigh heavily on available transmission type. GT350 if you want manual. That would be the motivating factor between the 2 if I wanted a manual car.

The Supra is is like owning 2 different cars depending on which MODE it's in. In default MODE it's smoother, almost silky, compared to the GT350. GR is more refined. More relaxed in the NORMAL MODE. SPORT MODE amps everything up. MUCH sharper responses. The Mustang feels slightly hevier handed. Then there is the sound and perceived performance. The GRdoes not feel or sound nearly as raw as the Mustang which some might consider a negative. The Voodoo is unique. It's aggressive sounding and power is more liner. Power delivery is good and chassis loads nice but more point and shoot.

Neither are as nimble as say a Cayman or your BRZ. Around cones both will feel huge and heavy compared to your BRZ. You sit a lot farther back in the Supra then in your BRZ so it seems a lot bigger. The Mustang has better visibility and is easier to get in and out of. Mustang feels bigger and less nible. I was very surprised at how good the steering was in the GT350 for such a big car. Ford gets big praise for that. I noticed the Mustang's huge tires track every imperfection on the road. That might get tiresome daily drivng? I suspect the GT350 might be more satisfying on HPDE road course.

Future considerations. Mod or leave stock? The BMW power plant has tremendous potential for huge gains for not a lot of work. The ZF automatic 8-speed seems to be holding up to increase HP and torque.

Long term? I don't know? BMW does not have a reputation like Toyota for reliability. Neither does Ford though.

Resale is probably going to favor the GT350. Demand is not there with the Supra yet? Toyota has also proven they have no issues with tanking resale of previous model years. They improved the 2021 substantially and only raised prices by $1K. Great for new buyers but a stab in the back to early buyers. The demand was obviously not there where they could have charged more for the 2021. There are huge cash rebates and 0% for 2020s because they can't compete with the improved 2021. Again bad for resale. They flat out have said they will improve every model year substantially. Basically forecasting the obsolescence of even the current 2021 model year.

I was very surprised at how difficult it was to get a test drive. One dealer said it was because they get a lot of kids who just want to try them. I get that. I remember all the kids who would call and show up trying to test drive my GTR when I was selling it years ago. It was very obvious most were not serious buyers. Hopefully you find examples of each to drive. Definitely try drivng both a 2020 and 2021 Supra also. You might prefer one over the other? My advice is to look for used cars for test drives. The dealers or owners will be more willing to let someone drive a used one then a new one.

Again, I think a lot might be based on how heavy you weigh having a manual transmission?

Good luck with the shopping. Can't really go wrong with either.

Last edited:

Supra Cat

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 3.0, 4Runner, Mustang GT/CS, NA Miata
It will be interesting to see how the Supra evolves. Now Ford has discontinued the GT350 and GT350R; maybe tired of the flat-plane engine failures, but more likely to insert the Mach 1 into the Mustang line. Shelby GT350R Leaves a Lasting Impression

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD
It will be interesting to see how the Supra evolves. Now Ford has discontinued the GT350 and GT350R; maybe tired of the flat-plane engine failures, but more likely to insert the Mach 1 into the Mustang line. Shelby GT350R Leaves a Lasting Impression
I suspect it was partly both. I mean they historically didn't produce the GT350 for too many years combined with the lousy rep. (and warrantee costs) this thing incurs on them they are probably glad to get rid of it. From what I remember some racing teams stopped using the Flat plane shortly after using it due to it's longevity issues. Don't remember if it was Ford racing or others......

I saw just the other day a GT350 owner swapping in a Ford crate engine that uses the cross plane crank design..,.......I foresee more of this happening over the years.

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 05' S2000
Neither are as nimble as say a Cayman or your BRZ. Around cones both will feel huge and heavy compared to your BRZ. You sit a lot farther back in the Supra then in your BRZ so it seems a lot bigger.
I'm surprised you think that. The Supra actually has a shorter wheelbase than the BRZ by about 4'"which is considerable. Have you ever driven an S2000? Both cars are setup very similarly. Long front with a short back. I find that the Supra has almost as good turn in as my S2000 while having better turn in than the BRZ i used to own. The Supra is heavier than the BRZ however by about 600 lbs so maybe its the extra weight you are feeling.

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
I'm surprised you think that. The Supra actually has a shorter wheelbase than the BRZ by about 4'"which is considerable. Have you ever driven an S2000? Both cars are setup very similarly. Long front with a short back. I find that the Supra has almost as good turn in as my S2000 while having better turn in than the BRZ i used to own. The Supra is heavier than the BRZ however by about 600 lbs so maybe its the extra weight you are feeling.
My brother tracked several S2000s back in the day. I drove them but it was a while ago. I honestly don't remember what they were like compared to these cars. I owned a BRZ a while ago. I think it's the visibility, seating position, weight that makes it feel larger and less agile than the BRZ to me. Mostly the weight. It's not a criticism just what I remember feeling. The Supra is great value. I am not sure if there is another automatic car that is as fun for the price? New to new prices.

Last edited:

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 05' S2000
My brother tracked several S2000s back in the day. I drove them but it was a while ago. I honestly don't remember what they were like compared to these cars. I owned a BRZ a while ago. I think it's the visibility, seating position, weight that makes it feel larger and less agile than the BRZ to me. Mostly the weight. It's not a criticism just what I remember feeling. The Supra is great value. I am not sure if there is another automatic car that is as fun for the price? New to new prices.
Yeah i totally get that. Compared to the BRZ the Supra definitely has worse visibility. Its funny cuz i find the Supra and the S2k have the same amount of crappy visibility so i didnt really notice it when i got the car.

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
Those times seem slow. 4.5 sec 0-60...

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)