2020 Supra vs 2021 Audi RS7

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
Wound up behind my neighbor the other day getting on the freeway. Not that I was really trying... but nope, couldn't catch him. Biggest issue on my side however was traction (the lack of it), but it was still fun to watch ~5000 lbs move that fast. :oops:

Ah the joys of AWD and almost 600 lb-ft of torque. I'd be more jealous if I didn't know how much it cost... for a little under $130K... it had better be faster than my non-tuned Bimmeryota. ;)
Sponsored

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 05' S2000
Traction is so much bigger in catching up to people than it seems. I'd be curious on how you would fair if you didnt have traction issues. Stickier and wider tires would def help there.

All in all though the RS7 will still pull away due to higher HP, but the Supra really shouldnt have a hard time keeping up at least initially.

OP
OP
digicidal

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Traction is so much bigger in catching up to people than it seems. I'd be curious on how you would fair if you didnt have traction issues. Stickier and wider tires would def help there.

All in all though the RS7 will still pull away due to higher HP, but the Supra really shouldnt have a hard time keeping up at least initially.
Well, definitely traction is a huge part of the issue... and the suspension is another major factor (I need to get the horrible factory alignment fixed). Even under 3/4 throttle in sport mode it's pretty much just a sloppy drift machine right now (it lifts rather than squats). So part of this "loss" is me, since I'm old enough to not want to go sliding and smoking the tires on a public street, ;) but part of it is how the suspension loads as well.

The MKV is definitely quicker overall than my RC-F was... but that was much easier to use all of the power it made (it was much more predictable at the limit). At a track, I would have been less than a car length behind... in this case it was more like 5.

OP
OP
digicidal

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Is the rear spinning in need of more rear end weight or better tires?
Well more weight could help... but that's going in the wrong direction. Definitely the tires are a bit weak IMO, but aren't completely horrible. I think with suspension improvements many of the shortcomings would mostly disappear - it just loads so unpredictably (at least as far as mine feels). Launching is fine, but even with the slightest shift in weight on a turn either accelerating or breaking it gets really squirrelly... bump steer effect maybe?

Totally different configuration (MR vs. FR) but that was the amazing part of the Cayman... absolutely predictable in every situation. Honestly the suspension tuning of the MKV is my biggest complaint - ironically it's the most "Toyota" part. :rolleyes: Not horrible, but could definitely be much, much better.

Escapist

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2016 Yamaha R1
When launching (w/o launch control), mine also has a habit of pointing the nose in an unintended direction. It's easy to control and recover but it's still annoying. I imagine it's a combination of needing wider tires and a properly aligned suspension.
Sponsored