Featured 2020 Supra vs 86 Comparison Review (Jalopnik)

Discussion in 'Supra versus... (no street racing stories)' started by JT, May 16, 2019.

1. JT

JT Administrator

Car(s):
    Supra
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    Review: https://jalopnik.com/how-the-2020-toyota-supra-compares-to-the-toyota-86-in-1834736476

Two sports cars. Both are rear-wheel drive. Both have two doors. Both have the same badge—Toyota. Curiously, neither of them has a Toyota engine. One costs literally twice as much as the other. They’re as different as they are similar. So when you drive the new 2020 Toyota Supra and the aging but still delightful Toyota 86 back to back, what do you learn?

2. arexniba

arexniba Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Alex
    Car(s):
    BMW, VOLVO, ACURA, DUCATI 899
    Liked:
    There's NO comparison with these 2 lol

My advice: stop caring about what’s under the engine bay, and enjoy these go-fast Toyotas for what they are.

What kind of advice is that (from the article)?? I OBVIOUSLY care about what's under the engine bay. If the article is geared towards car ENTHUSIASTS, then that's the most important factor, the heart of the car.

3. AsupramkvC

AsupramkvC Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Gerich
    Car(s):
    Liked:
    The Toyota 86 is a sports car that pushes you to the limit, makes you drive as hard as you can so you can bring out the best out of the car. There’s an instant connection between the car and the driver(since it’s being offered with a manual transmission). The Toyota Supra, on the other hand, is more of a complete package. The Supra’s got the power, perfect balance, better infotainment system, more upscale, better ride quality, better tech, and more! I would love to call the Supra a.k.a. the “86 Turbo” enthusiasts have been clamoring for, just without that much connection between the car and the driver(since it lacks a manual offering).

As of now, if I were to choose one out of the two, as an avid car enthusiast, I’d go for the 86 since the driving is all up to the driver, unlike the Supra, which is currently just offered with an automatic transmission, is partly controlled by the driver, and part by the computer. If only the Supra will be offered with manual transmission, then I’d choose the Supra anytime, any day.

4. Pheonix

Pheonix Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    2016 Porsche Cayman GT4 6MT (track car), 2011 BMW 128i 6MT (daily), patiently waiting for 2020 Supra 6MT
    Liked:
    What a useless article. You can't compare these 2. Totally different class of cars. It's like comparing a Miata to a GT3. Sure both are RWD sports cars, but that's where it ends.

mas921 and MA617M like this.