2021 2.0 Supra 24Hr Test Drive Coming Up--Anything to Lookout For?

AngelsofVerdun

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
N/A
Hey, everyone. This is my first post here, and I tried to make sure there wasn't a similar post floating around out there already.

Is there anything--such as common points of failure or issues--that I should look out for while test driving a 2.0 Supra? I will have the car for 24Hrs--thanks CarMax. Given that amount of time, I am hoping to have time to really look the car over.

Right now, I am trying to decide if the Supra 2.0 will be "enough" to sate my hunger for a "fast" daily driver. Honestly, I am torn between 2.0 and 3.0, but I cannot decide if I should spend the extra money on the 3.0. For that reason, I am starting my testing with a 2.0. If I like it enough, then I won't bother testing a 3.0.
Sponsored

Reactions: zrk

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
OP
OP
AngelsofVerdun

AngelsofVerdun

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
N/A
Here’s something sorta related: https://www.supramkv.com/threads/issues-on-test-drive-before-ordering-are-they-common.12512/

Kinda, this post is from after a guys test drive.

Are you planning on modding the car at all, aside from any cosmetic stuff?
While I am not going into this with plans to mod powertrain/drive train, I can certainly see myself throwing a new exhaust or better brake setup on it. I did not know there was much on the aftermarket for performance on the 2.0?

That was a long-winded way of saying: I might eventually mod the car.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
While I am not going into this with plans to mod powertrain/drive train, I can certainly see myself throwing a new exhaust or better brake setup on it. I did not know there was much on the aftermarket for performance on the 2.0?

That was a long-winded way of saying: I might eventually mod the car.
There is some stuff, but not like the 3.0, that’s why I asked. There are exhausts, intakes, downpipes.. bolt on stuff. JB4 works for tuning as well. @R_R8TED put a nice 2.0 together.

If you planning on modding hard, you’ll kick yourself for not going 3.0.

OP
OP
AngelsofVerdun

AngelsofVerdun

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
N/A
There is some stuff, but not like the 3.0, that’s why I asked. There are exhausts, intakes, downpipes.. bolt on stuff. JB4 works for tuning as well. @R_R8TED put a nice 2.0 together.

Oh, okay. I definitely do not intend to mod too much. Thanks for the heads-up on that.

Reactions: zrk

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I read the title too quickly and partially. Thought you were doing a 24hr Le Mans drive or something :D

Besides the obvious displacement and minor cosmetic differences, the 3.0 has an active LSD while the 2.0’s mechanical. Can't really compare unless you drive both in same/similar scenarios I suppose.

2.0 is lighter. As mentioned much less aftermarket support...

Yeah, watch out for the wind buffetting noise. It's the cars achilles heel. 😂

Try the Sport button. Customize individual for your liking. Use manual and paddles if that's your thing.

Don't know your past car history. If you've experience with RWD cars, without wrecking the car, maybe give it a quick spin around a bend. See how you like how car behaves. Dare I say, turn off traction?

Steering ratio is, damn it I forgot, 15:1? Anyhow, it's fast. See how you like that. I'm on an SUV now and I miss that.

---
if you're buying that, I suppose watch out for obvious paint stuff, dings, dents, scuff, scratch on body/wheels.. Don't know the mileage..
Any weird noises inside and outside.
Check engine bay for mods, but unlikely on 2.0.
Check the VIN against the salvage registry thread just to make sure it has clean title. And obviously Carfax...
I'm sure it works, but check to see if NAV is working as expected.
Check oil level before sending it. Not that 2.0s have many reported drinking problems, but just make sure it's not been abused and unattended..
With that check battery level with an OBD app or battery tender.. AGM type. Can surely charge, but if it's been sitting for long, may need replacement.
Is it CPO?

These may be overkill, but just saying..

Elektro

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
17 i3 94ah, 22 Supra 2.0
2.0 has lsd? I did a one wheel peel on ice the first week I had it, unless both tires were spinning

(edit: actually, thinking about it now, was in reverse, do lsds work in reverse?)

OP
OP
AngelsofVerdun

AngelsofVerdun

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
N/A
I read the title too quickly and partially. Thought you were doing a 24hr Le Mans drive or something :D

Besides the obvious displacement and minor cosmetic differences, the 3.0 has an active LSD while the 2.0’s mechanical. Can't really compare unless you drive both in same/similar scenarios I suppose.

2.0 is lighter. As mentioned much less aftermarket support...

Yeah, watch out for the wind buffetting noise. It's the cars achilles heel. 😂

Try the Sport button. Customize individual for your liking. Use manual and paddles if that's your thing.

Don't know your past car history. If you've experience with RWD cars, without wrecking the car, maybe give it a quick spin around a bend. See how you like how car behaves. Dare I say, turn off traction?

Steering ratio is, damn it I forgot, 15:1? Anyhow, it's fast. See how you like that. I'm on an SUV now and I miss that.

---
if you're buying that, I suppose watch out for obvious paint stuff, dings, dents, scuff, scratch on body/wheels.. Don't know the mileage..
Any weird noises inside and outside.
Check engine bay for mods, but unlikely on 2.0.
Check the VIN against the salvage registry thread just to make sure it has clean title. And obviously Carfax...
I'm sure it works, but check to see if NAV is working as expected.
Check oil level before sending it. Not that 2.0s have many reported drinking problems, but just make sure it's not been abused and unattended..
With that check battery level with an OBD app or battery tender.. AGM type. Can surely charge, but if it's been sitting for long, may need replacement.
Is it CPO?

These may be overkill, but just saying..
I appreciate the suggestions! While I am certainly going to check the rudimentary things, there is some information here that is great. My one gripe is with the advertised torque numbers relative to what has been "dyno'd" for the 2.0. From the information available online, the torque is well below the rated 295 lb ft. Also, yes--the wind buffet is going to be annoying because riding with windows down is something I enjoy. Actually, thinking about it--that could ultimately cause me to not get the car. We will see after I test drive it. Issue is, I don't know of another sports car to try if the Supra does not work out. Maybe an early model C7 Z51 Corvette?

OP
OP
AngelsofVerdun

AngelsofVerdun

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
N/A
Modded 2.0 will be the same cost as stock 3.0. But resale will be better on 3.0 + you won’t get any 2.0 harassment
This was another concern; it seems like the 2.0 is the "garbage can" of the Supra MkV family. So, you get stuck with the "nice BMW" and ALSO the "Oh, it's a Budget 3.0" ridicule.

R_R8TED

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pixelatedgamer.com
Car(s)
2021 Supra MKV 3.0, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Thanks for the mention @zrk . The B48 is a pretty fantastic platform for those more interested in the twisties and track, than straight raw power. However, with the JB4, Jesse DaBears tune and a solid E30 map (which he absolutely nails), you can make it night and day from stock.

Check out my 2.0 thread here to get an idea of my journey when I had the B48. Nearly a year's worth of modding and details in there. The bump up in price within this current market for the 3.0 will be steep (that's why I didn't go for it initially, as it was 10-11k more). The B58 can be a handful, no doubt too much for many; but with that they are highly capable, respond to mods beautifully and the sound and topend of this inline6 is just amazing. I literally just started my build for the 3.0, so I'm eager to get more seat time, get some more quality mods on and enjoy this ride ;b

The short of it, get the 2.0 if you could care less about 450-500hp. On my B48, I managed 4.1 to 60mph (would have been faster if I could properly hook on a launch, lol) and a 12.7 in the quarter mile (for most that's more than enough performance). That was of course after working with Jesse on a rock solid 93 tune and then going up to E30.

Jesse is the go to guy for tuning on the A90 (especially the JB4, he has over a decade of experience on this excellent piggyback and I've ran it with zero issues on my Golf R, Type-R and Supra). Be sure if you go that route to get a nice ethanol analyzer kit (I ran the Fuel-it kit). It shocks me some people skip installing this cheap part, as it could be absolutely catastrophic with just guessing your fuel for E85 mixes. For added fun, throw on a Fi Exhaust for some excellent sound on the 2.0 (IMO the best sounding exhaust for this platform), plus the @ARMASPEED CAI is a must too for all those amazing turbo noises; spooling and flutters sound incredible after this is on.

If you do want that extra performance, turbo inline6 sound and insane aftermarket support however, save up and get a used 3.0. I had multiple offers and declined the first few on my 2.0, but then I managed to get around MSRP for it almost a year of ownership. Finding a really mint low mileage 3.0 is tough though. Took a lot of work but I finally snagged a 2021 B58 (wanted this year b/c of the huge list of improvements they implemented). It was only on the road for 3 months with around 3.5k miles and it was in Renaissance Red, the only other color I wanted if it was gonna happen. Read up as much as you can and watch all the videos you can spot on YouTube for good comparisons and opinions on both platforms. Best of luck, I think you'll really enjoy either one a TON honestly. Both are incredibly fun, unique, handle beautifully and really turn some heads ;b

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
Buy the 3.0 - stop trying to talk yourself into less of a car.
Sponsored