2021 A91 Supra vs 2020 M2 Competition(2 week update)

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 05' S2000
So i just traded in my M2 Competition for a new A91 Supra and i figured i'd put down my thoughts after initial drive to give people a bit of an idea of the differences between the two. I will be updating this thread as i do more with the Supra (mountain runs, track days).

Exterior:
Both cars look absolutely amazing even side by side. However the Supra is definitely the more stand-out of the two by a long shot. The M2 is very much the car that you only really notice if you also drive one. To the average driver, it looks like any other 2-door BMW. If you put it side by side with an M4, a lot of people wouldnt notice a difference.

The Supra immediately garners attention. Just today, i had a gas station attendant do a full walk around of the Supra, saw a mustang driver almost fall out of his window staring bug-eyed at the the front of my car at a stoplight, and multiple people break their necks as i drove by. The Supra is a statement. Its NOT the sleeper car the M2 is. If you want a car that draws lots of eyes, then the Supra is the choice. If you want to be more subtle about it, M2 Competition is a great move. My M2 even was vinyl wrapped purple and never got as much attention in 8 months that my Supra has gotten in one day.

Interior: They are honestly the same (surprise surprise), however i find the Supra has just a tad more leather trim. I also really like the gloss carbon fiber around the shifter. The M2 C has dry carbon fiber which a lot of people mistake for plastic but its a very different change. One thing that bothers me about the Supra is that the infotainment screen seems to be slightly slanted and almost pointed at the passenger, wherase the M2 C, its leveled and pointed very directly at the driver. Not that the Supra one is bad, but it just...feels awkward especially going back to back.

The Seats in the Supra win when it comes to long distance drives. Especially in the A91 where you get Alcantara and Leather. The M2C seats are nice leather, but after 3 1/2 hours of driving up to the dealership to get the Supra, my lower back was killing me. The M2C does have better bolstering for the track and autocross however. I can see myself moving around a bunch in the Supra when i take it to the track.

As far as space goes i find theres more leg room in the Supra, however with overall cabin space, the M2 C comes out on top.

Driving:
The M2 Competition is a beast. It feels a lot lighter than it actually is at 3600 lbs and it grips like nobodies business. I had the 6-speed Manual Transmission and i actually felt that i couldnt take advantage of a lot of the power that the car had. With its twin turbo setup, the car felt very linear in its power delivery, however BMW's manual transmissions have some issues on the lower end. Shifting 1-2 is almost never smooth and you feel a ton of jerkiness and it makes you feel like a terrible driver. If you are going to get the M2 i recommend the DCT hands down. The MT, makes it hard to enjoy all 400 horsies you are given. Carving back roads in the car was amazing. It grips and puts down the power incredibly well. The power delivery allows really quick exit from a turn and the BBK that the M2C comes with allows for very precise braking

The Supra definitely has a little bit of turbo lag. I have heard that the 2020 is a bit more violent in the lower end compared to the 2021, but its not a bad thing. The car is plenty fast. Being 200 lbs lighter than the M2 i would have thought i wouldnt be able to tell the difference but omg the car is quick. It doesnt really makes sense if you look at the specs on paper. The Supra has less torque and less HP than the M2. but its faster by almost 1/2 a second 0-60 which is just wizardry. I havnt been able to really push the car yet as i'm still in the breakin period, but i'll update this as i drive the car more.

Final thoughts so far:

The M2C seems the more raw of the two. The Supra is a very comfy and quick car, but part of m e feel liks the M2 is a bit more driver oriented in its feel. One thing i dont like about the M2 however is how high you sit. You kinda feel like you are sitting on the car rather than in it. The Supra has a much lower seating position which i largley prefer. I think i prefer the Supra at the end of the day. The adaptive suspension is fantastic and the seats are just soooo much more comfy. The Supra also being faster is just a nice bonus. Also the engine exhaust note is better in the Supra, its a lot more smooth and the pops sound better. The M2 was a bit overdone with the pops and the engine sounded more tinny. If i had the choice again i think i'd choose the Supra, however i could still be in the Honeymoon phase, we'll see how i feel in a years time.

IMG_0074.jpg

a95c8caa-9906-490f-ad4e-c983e7757fca.JPG
Sponsored

Paolo

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 SUPRA
A brilliant write up comparison.
Thanks for sharing.
Once thing I will say and I am near the end of my break in period(about 200km to go), is that on the curvy corner mountain roads, the low center of gravity and short wheel base, make chicanes a real driving experience in the Supra.
And yes... you sit low, really low which makes the car pivot like no other driving experience.
Safe driving. :thumbsup:

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD
Nice objective comparison. Yeah, this car isn't for someone who wants anonymity. ;) 9 months later and I still get rubberneckers, thumbs ups, and "is that a Supra??!!" e\all the time. My son laughs about all the attention the car gets. Hell, even my car salesman was shocked when he took my car to the gas station to fill her up at all the attention the car got.

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
The car is plenty fast. Being 200 lbs lighter than the M2 i would have thought i wouldnt be able to tell the difference but omg the car is quick. It doesnt really makes sense if you look at the specs on paper. The Supra has less torque and less HP than the M2. but its faster by almost 1/2 a second 0-60 which is just wizardry.
Glad it's not just me. I've driven and owned performance cars before but just tipping into the throttle from 2800-3000 rpm I do get the feeling of 'this shouldn't be this quick'

F1 Silver Arrows

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
So i just traded in my M2 Competition for a new A91 Supra and i figured i'd put down my thoughts after initial drive to give people a bit of an idea of the differences between the two. I will be updating this thread as i do more with the Supra (mountain runs, track days).

Exterior:
Both cars look absolutely amazing even side by side. However the Supra is definitely the more stand-out of the two by a long shot. The M2 is very much the car that you only really notice if you also drive one. To the average driver, it looks like any other 2-door BMW. If you put it side by side with an M4, a lot of people wouldnt notice a difference.

The Supra immediately garners attention. Just today, i had a gas station attendant do a full walk around of the Supra, saw a mustang driver almost fall out of his window staring bug-eyed at the the front of my car at a stoplight, and multiple people break their necks as i drove by. The Supra is a statement. Its NOT the sleeper car the M2 is. If you want a car that draws lots of eyes, then the Supra is the choice. If you want to be more subtle about it, M2 Competition is a great move. My M2 even was vinyl wrapped purple and never got as much attention in 8 months that my Supra has gotten in one day.

Interior: They are honestly the same (surprise surprise), however i find the Supra has just a tad more leather trim. I also really like the gloss carbon fiber around the shifter. The M2 C has dry carbon fiber which a lot of people mistake for plastic but its a very different change. One thing that bothers me about the Supra is that the infotainment screen seems to be slightly slanted and almost pointed at the passenger, wherase the M2 C, its leveled and pointed very directly at the driver. Not that the Supra one is bad, but it just...feels awkward especially going back to back.

The Seats in the Supra win when it comes to long distance drives. Especially in the A91 where you get Alcantara and Leather. The M2C seats are nice leather, but after 3 1/2 hours of driving up to the dealership to get the Supra, my lower back was killing me. The M2C does have better bolstering for the track and autocross however. I can see myself moving around a bunch in the Supra when i take it to the track.

As far as space goes i find theres more leg room in the Supra, however with overall cabin space, the M2 C comes out on top.

Driving:
The M2 Competition is a beast. It feels a lot lighter than it actually is at 3600 lbs and it grips like nobodies business. I had the 6-speed Manual Transmission and i actually felt that i couldnt take advantage of a lot of the power that the car had. With its twin turbo setup, the car felt very linear in its power delivery, however BMW's manual transmissions have some issues on the lower end. Shifting 1-2 is almost never smooth and you feel a ton of jerkiness and it makes you feel like a terrible driver. If you are going to get the M2 i recommend the DCT hands down. The MT, makes it hard to enjoy all 400 horsies you are given. Carving back roads in the car was amazing. It grips and puts down the power incredibly well. The power delivery allows really quick exit from a turn and the BBK that the M2C comes with allows for very precise braking

The Supra definitely has a little bit of turbo lag. I have heard that the 2020 is a bit more violent in the lower end compared to the 2021, but its not a bad thing. The car is plenty fast. Being 200 lbs lighter than the M2 i would have thought i wouldnt be able to tell the difference but omg the car is quick. It doesnt really makes sense if you look at the specs on paper. The Supra has less torque and less HP than the M2. but its faster by almost 1/2 a second 0-60 which is just wizardry. I havnt been able to really push the car yet as i'm still in the breakin period, but i'll update this as i drive the car more.

Final thoughts so far:

The M2C seems the more raw of the two. The Supra is a very comfy and quick car, but part of m e feel liks the M2 is a bit more driver oriented in its feel. One thing i dont like about the M2 however is how high you sit. You kinda feel like you are sitting on the car rather than in it. The Supra has a much lower seating position which i largley prefer. I think i prefer the Supra at the end of the day. The adaptive suspension is fantastic and the seats are just soooo much more comfy. The Supra also being faster is just a nice bonus. Also the engine exhaust note is better in the Supra, its a lot more smooth and the pops sound better. The M2 was a bit overdone with the pops and the engine sounded more tinny. If i had the choice again i think i'd choose the Supra, however i could still be in the Honeymoon phase, we'll see how i feel in a years time.

IMG_0074.jpg

BRO LMAO I ACTUALLY SAW YOUR VIDEO YESTERDAY! It popped up as a recommended video. Great video man! Enjoy your new GR Supra! :D

Jediyogi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GR A90
nice comparo between these 2 awesome machines. S55 motor vs B58. I think the peak torque kicks in at 1600rpm which prob gives a quicker 0-60 time for the MY20 Supra. it'll interesting when someone does a S58 vs B58 comparison.

Possoum

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Toyota Supra
Nice objective comparison. Yeah, this car isn't for someone who wants anonymity. ;) 9 months later and I still get rubberneckers, thumbs ups, and "is that a Supra??!!" e\all the time. My son laughs about all the attention the car gets. Hell, even my car salesman was shocked when he took my car to the gas station to fill her up at all the attention the car got.
My wife took ours out to get gas and didnā€™t come back for the whole weekend. She said some guy at the gas station liked it and wanted her to take him for a ride. I asked her how he liked it.

OP
OP

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
nice comparo between these 2 awesome machines. S55 motor vs B58. I think the peak torque kicks in at 1600rpm which prob gives a quicker 0-60 time for the MY20 Supra. it'll interesting when someone does a S58 vs B58 comparison.
Yeah i have no doubt that the next gen M2 is going to be a beast with the S58 engine. Heard some rumors that it might be sitting at around 450hp. However my whole thing is that BMWs keep getting bigger and bigger. WIth how much bigger the new M3 and M4 are compared to current gen, i can see the M2 getting bigger as well. The Supra is nice a compact and more what i really want. Even though i'm 6'3" i've always loved small sports cars. Supra just feels right in that regard.

OP
OP

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My simple comparison: Supra drivers smoother while M2C drives with character

D4811F36-7588-45F6-BC5F-32D152B650C1.jpeg
Very Nice! I'm definitely going to miss mine. It was a fantastic car and i really enjoyed driving it.

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD
My wife took ours out to get gas and didnā€™t come back for the whole weekend. She said some guy at the gas station liked it and wanted her to take him for a ride. I asked her how he liked it.
Haahhhaa, funny.

I followed my wife to the local garage to get her Highlander inspected. I met her there with the Supra figuring it would be the last time I could drive her before I put her away for the winter. My wife told me later that evening that the guy at the counter was asking ā€œ who the guy was that was driving the Supra?ā€ Ha, I told her he was checking to see if you were available. She said, ā€œwhat, no, he was interested in the car!ā€ She was looking pretty damn good in her blue jeans and leather jacket!

Anyway, Iā€™ll see when I take the Supra to them for the Supra inspection.

DAC17

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 BMW X3M
Of course the blue color doesn't hurt the "wow factor"!

John8

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Nitro, FJ Cruiser 2012

Exterior:

Driving:

Final thoughts so far:

IMG_0074.jpg

Thanks for the comparison, great write up!

On turbo lag, I have the 2020 and have none. I know the 21 doesn't have the same kick as the 20 in the lower end so that may be the difference. I expected a bit of lag, but when I first drove the 2020, I was extremely surprised. I have had turbos before and got very used to the lag but the 20 totally took me off guard and to an extent, and to my wife's chagrin, it just takes off. lol
Sponsored