2021 A91 Supra vs 2020 M2 Competition(2 week update)

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium
Same here. I thought I was going to have to get a Pedalbox or Sprintbooster like I had on my last GTI and previously on the Golf R to help mitigate the initial lag, but was happily surprised that the Supra has no delay - especially for a turbocharged car.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 05' S2000
Yeah, the turbo lag comment is really comparing the twin turbo setup of the M2 Competition to the Twin Scroll setup of the Supra.

Realistically, theres barely any lag. But the twin turbo setup on the M2 Competition is tuned in a way that the car feels suuuuper linear. On the Supra, its more that boost builds so quick that you put your foot down and then all of a sudden you're off.

John8

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Nitro, FJ Cruiser 2012
Yeah, the turbo lag comment is really comparing the twin turbo setup of the M2 Competition to the Twin Scroll setup of the Supra.

Realistically, theres barely any lag. But the twin turbo setup on the M2 Competition is tuned in a way that the car feels suuuuper linear. On the Supra, its more that boost builds so quick that you put your foot down and then all of a sudden you're off.
Try a 2020.

joshthorsc

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2021 GR Supra
Great comparison write up. I've never been a fan of BMWs manual transmission having owned two M cars but I'm also a huge manual sports car person. They are very notch and near impossible to shift smoothly from 1-2. The ZF in the Supra is surprisingly good and way better than the 8spd transmission from the ISF/RCF.

However, I really wanted the M2C but couldn't justify spending nearly $10k more for it so I went with a 21 Supra.

OP
OP

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Great comparison write up. I've never been a fan of BMWs manual transmission having owned two M cars but I'm also a huge manual sports car person. They are very notch and near impossible to shift smoothly from 1-2. The ZF in the Supra is surprisingly good and way better than the 8spd transmission from the ISF/RCF.

However, I really wanted the M2C but couldn't justify spending nearly $10k more for it so I went with a 21 Supra.
Yeah for me i went with the M2C because it had the MT, and boy did i regret it. I didnt think it would be so bad. The 1-2 shift was literally the worst.

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium
I actually looked at the M2C before purchasing the Supra.

Now, I know how the Supra's styling is quite polarizing and almost garish compared to the M2C, but I also wanted a car that looks unique in it's design and makes you look back after you park it. ?

However, one of my most prominent deciding factors was the ride quality in the M2C. I drove one from Turo along with a Supra. The Supra was far more compliant in ride quality, especially for a daily driver - which is what my intentions were.

I've also driven my friend's F56 Mini S and my neighbor's E92 M3. Both had that "are the tires flat or missing? - because it feels like I'm driving on the bare wheels" sensation. I felt the same in the M2C when driven within a couple of days from the Supra.

Granted lots of guys are swapping their suspension bits from OEM on their A90, either for looks or the track. But even in Sport mode, I love the way the Supra rides and handles. Definitely more GT-car feeling than the M2C. But that's what I wanted, at least. :dunno::thumbsup:

OP
OP

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I actually looked at the M2C before purchasing the Supra.

Now, I know how the Supra's styling is quite polarizing and almost garish compared to the M2C, but I also wanted a car that looks unique in it's design and makes you look back after you park it. ?

However, one of my most prominent deciding factors was the ride quality in the M2C. I drove one from Turo along with a Supra. The Supra was far more compliant in ride quality, especially for a daily driver - which is what my intentions were.

I've also driven my friend's F56 Mini S and my neighbor's E92 M3. Both had that "are the tires flat or missing? - because it feels like I'm driving on the bare wheels" sensation. I felt the same in the M2C when driven within a couple of days from the Supra.

Granted lots of guys are swapping their suspension bits from OEM on their A90, either for looks or the track. But even in Sport mode, I love the way the Supra rides and handles. Definitely more GT-car feeling than the M2C. But that's what I wanted, at least. :dunno::thumbsup:
The M2C has a stiffer and harsher ride for sure. I had been dailying an S2000 up till that point basically except for 3 months in a 230i so for me i kind of ignored it. Made me really appreciate how comfy the Supra is though.

supraz4

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 BMW i3, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Oh dang! I remember you from ft86forum lol
Good to see you here at the SupraMKV forum as well!
Nice comparison you posted there. I only test drove M2C with DCT and I agree with most of the points in your comparison.
Now I kinda want to test drive M2C with manual cuz I don't remember anyone complaining regarding the manual transmission on M2C.
I did test drive M240i manual a bunch of times before I bought my Challenger and it was actually really good and comfortable manual transmission. Felt very similar to my old 2003 Z4 3.0i I used to have.
Worked really well together with the B58 engine in it in my opinion, and I really liked the overall driving feel of M240i.

OP
OP

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Oh dang! I remember you from ft86forum lol
Good to see you here at the SupraMKV forum as well!
Nice comparison you posted there. I only test drove M2C with DCT and I agree with most of the points in your comparison.
Now I kinda want to test drive M2C with manual cuz I don't remember anyone complaining regarding the manual transmission on M2C.
I did test drive M240i manual a bunch of times before I bought my Challenger and it was actually really good and comfortable manual transmission. Felt very similar to my old 2003 Z4 3.0i I used to have.
Worked really well together with the B58 engine in it in my opinion, and I really liked the overall driving feel of M240i.
Well the complaint really kinda stops after 2nd gear. The biggest thing you'll notice is that if you want to go fast and shift in a high RPM in the M2C, is that you'll get a lot of clunky shakes when trying to shift fast. Shifting slow is the only way to make it smooth but you lose a lot of speed and power doing it that way. The nice thing about the DCT is that you just step on it and it'll shift from 1-2 smoothly for you.

I test drove an M240i as well before driving the M2C and i honestly think that the S55 with its twin turbo setup is just too much for the MT to handle. It really wants to get going right from the getgo and i find myself needing to really feather the throttle if i want to shift smooth.

OP
OP

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
So i've had the car for about two weeks now. I have about 800 miles on it, done the first fluid change and have since driven it a bit more spiritedly since i first got it.

I have to say, this thing is amazing to drive. It has some BMW quirks that were present in the M2C. Like the slight dead on center feel, the throttle response, and the shitty wireless charger. But other than that, the car really does feel like a BMW with a Toyota touch (at least the interior). You dont get the double pull on the door handle to get out of the car (once to unlock, then again to open), the iDrive system and Apple carplay seem to work better than both BMWs i've owned, and the seats are far more comfortable than any BMW i've been in.

What i DO miss about my M2, are the M buttons. You could have up to two completley customized driving modes. Now granted the M2 has more than just 2 settings for everything (comfort, sport, sport+), but it was nice having the engine in Sport with Comfort Steering and All VSC on, and then i could click M2 and all of a sudden the car is in Sport+ Engine, Comfort Steering and VSC off. The Supra only has one customizable option and it would dumb to also give that setting the Comfort mode for the engine as you'd never see Sport mode at that point.

As far as driving the car, the Supra is better than the M2 in my opinion. While the feedback is more numb, the Supra is more confidence inspiring than the M2. The shorter wheelbase gives the SUpra an insane amount of turn in and i realized why so many people who have S2000s(i still have mine), consider this to be similar. Its only longer than the S2000 wheelbase by 3". The lower driving position is also a big factor in it being more confidence inspiring than the M2C.

All in all i'm still very much enjoying this car and i cant wait to drive it whenever i can.

Ultimateone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AW A90
I agree with you and more so as I traded in an 2017 M2 for the Supra and never looked back since, completely in love.

muckduck

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 95 Supra TT, 2008 T4R
+1 here. Also considered an M2c because it had a 6 speed and normally I am a "purist" 6 speed for life person.

But the 6 speed in the M2c just wasn't fun. These modern turbos really do better it seems with DCT/Autos. The Supra to me was much more fun with the lower seating position etc.

I'll save my 6 speeds for older slow cars like my old 993, S2ks etc.

OP
OP

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
+1 here. Also considered an M2c because it had a 6 speed and normally I am a "purist" 6 speed for life person.

But the 6 speed in the M2c just wasn't fun. These modern turbos really do better it seems with DCT/Autos. The Supra to me was much more fun with the lower seating position etc.

I'll save my 6 speeds for older slow cars like my old 993, S2ks etc.
Yeah i've definetly been of the mindset recently that anything under 350hp can have a MT and even then i'd want a good MT like something from Honda or Toyota or Porsche. Anything above that needs either a DCT or a really good torque converter like our ZF8.

Its been about 4 months now with the car and i cant stop wanting to drive it. I actually stopped enjoying driving the M2C about 3 months in which gave me A LOT of buyers guilt. I'm glad i made the switch even if it did put me a bit under cost wise.

Mcoimpact

First Name
Bailey
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 318ti Club Sport 1999 Wrangler Sahara, 2009 C
I'm still going back and forth between a 3.0 Premium and an M2C. I haven't owned a true M car since my E24 M6 so I'd like to scratch that itch. A base M2 is fairly cheap but isn't all that different from my M235i. That said, the Supra is the probably the closest thing to a new M Coupe I'll ever be able to get...
Sponsored