2021 B58

nksupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Which B58 is 2021 using? The press release says new manifold with 6 exhaust ports instead of 2? Seems like a lot of big turbo R&D down the drain...
Anybody know if this is a new engine code or whether they switched back to B58B?
Sponsored

Reppunkamui

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra 2020, Toyota Supra 1994, BMW 135i M-Sport,
B58c sounded like a modified/rebadged B58M1. The new engine, lets call it B58d, sounds like a modified/rebadged B58O1.

s219

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW X3 M40i, BMW M2 Comp, Ferrari 328
As far as I know it's the same B58 variant the Z4 launched with last spring. This engine is also in the new 3-series, and made it into the X3 for the 2020 model year (there may be slight nuances with each model).

a90moe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
How do they both compare tuning wise?

B58C and B58D

Lets say AVG stg1 and stg2 power levels?

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
they are the same thing. just different head for the 6 port. Same style as every other b58 for the last 3 years or so. This is no real news and it doesn't really change much since all the hard parts remain in virtually the same position. Those worried about the manifold for turbo kits. its takes like a day or two for a legit fabricator to make a manifold once they have the flanges machined.

Jig it up, wash and repeat. everyone is making a bigger deal out of this than needs to be. oh, ECU is exactly the same between the two.

2k20HTownMKV

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra; 2017 Lexus RX 350 F sport; 2013 Honda Accord (daily)
Vehicle Showcase
they are the same thing. just different head for the 6 port. Same style as every other b58 for the last 3 years or so. This is no real news and it doesn't really change much since all the hard parts remain in virtually the same position. Those worried about the manifold for turbo kits. its takes like a day or two for a legit fabricator to make a manifold once they have the flanges machined.

Jig it up, wash and repeat. everyone is making a bigger deal out of this than needs to be. oh, ECU is exactly the same between the two.
Correct me if i am wrong but doesn't Greddy make a new intake manifold that is A2A instead of W2A? I remember seeing it somewhere on the forum so it shouldn't be a huge deal on that end either

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
Correct me if i am wrong but doesn't Greddy make a new intake manifold that is A2A instead of W2A? I remember seeing it somewhere on the forum so it shouldn't be a huge deal on that end either
Twisted is talking about exhaust not intake
correct. intake side will remain the same.

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
What do you think of the different compression and the different pistons being used?
similar compression to N54, N55, S55. no issue with it. Is is better for a boosted application? yes and no. you'll notice it in off boost situations. not boosted situations. its just lower comp version of the current pistons, nothing else.

John8

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Nitro, FJ Cruiser 2012
similar compression to N54, N55, S55. no issue with it. Is is better for a boosted application? yes and no. you'll notice it in off boost situations. not boosted situations. its just lower comp version of the current pistons, nothing else.
Ok, then they could have retuned and got this HP, right? Why do you think they did this change? Boost sales, or belief in true benefits?

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
Ok, then they could have retuned and got this HP, right? Why do you think they did this change? Boost sales, or belief in true benefits?
Yes to the same power. And the change more than likely came from a uniformity standpoint IMO. I haven't read to far into it to see if this is staying for just 1000units they mentioned. or keeping it from now on. But from a power potential standpoint.... the limits haven't been found on the 2 or 6 port exhaust manifolds. So unless they are basing the change off of theory, there's nothing to stand on in terms of proof of concept. Because power is being made across many manufacturers without issue on Headifolds same as with traditional manifolds.

John8

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Nitro, FJ Cruiser 2012
Yes to the same power. And the change more than likely came from a uniformity standpoint IMO. I haven't read to far into it to see if this is staying for just 1000units they mentioned. or keeping it from now on. But from a power potential standpoint.... the limits haven't been found on the 2 or 6 port exhaust manifolds. So unless they are basing the change off of theory, there's nothing to stand on in terms of proof of concept. Because power is being made across many manufacturers without issue on Headifolds same as with traditional manifolds.
With the longer manifold, is there a greater chance of warpage/cracking, vs the duel or has this manifold been well proven ( I think I understand that it is already in use in other models?).
Sponsored