2021 Supra 2.0 as a daily? Rainy Conditions?

Mochi

First Name
X
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
None
Hello!

This is kind of a noob question but basically I was thinking of picking up a 2021 Supra. My local dealership has a 2.0 available.

The thing is I live in the pacific northwest where it rains quite a bit in the fall and winter. I was wondering how the car handles in the rain?

I've never owned a RWD car before but some of my friends have mentioned with RWD cars it could break lose or fish tail in wet conditions or like if I hit a pothole in the rain?

If you guys could give me your input or thoughts on this that would be great.

Thank you :)
Sponsored

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Hello!

This is kind of a noob question but basically I was thinking of picking up a 2021 Supra. My local dealership has a 2.0 available.

The thing is I live in the pacific northwest where it rains quite a bit in the fall and winter. I was wondering how the car handles in the rain?

I've never owned a RWD car before but some of my friends have mentioned with RWD cars it could break lose or fish tail in wet conditions or like if I hit a pothole in the rain?

It's not so much what you drive, it's how you drive it. If you're aggressive on the throttle and jerk the steering wheel, yeah it'll step out. Especially in the rain. If you drive normal it'll be absolutely fine.
If you only have to deal with rain, you can get away with the stock tires, but if there's snow in your area, you should put on a good set of all-season tires you can use year round, or get a second set of wheels to put winter tires on.
With the 2.0 I would put Blizzaks on the stock wheels, and buy a nice set of wheels for the stock summer tires.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Like Danny said, throttle control and stability control is key.
If tad bit wet, slippery road, with fwd your braking will lengthen, it'll understeer during turns, with RWD, in addition to braking it will, during turns, have tendency to fishtail, upon which traction control will kick in if need be. Just ease with throttle and for sure you'll get the hang of it. After all tons of cars on the market with rwd, we don't see an accident at every corner, including cars like S2000 with no traction control on early gens.
Michelin PSS are pretty good on wet, but a big no no for snow.

Basically, if you're not a completely incompetent driver, I wouldn't make this my decision tie breaker.

But, what's compelling you to consider Supra 2.0 and RWD? Focus RS (not sold anymore) has plenty hp with ability to send 80% power to rear, Civic Type R, GTI etc., etc. Any other sports car will be RWD..

On the upside, there is a fun factor with RWD once you master it and in empty roads, you either on purpose or to get out of sticky situations, can power slide, by taming the throttle and counter steering.

SupraBC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 2.0
As everyone said, if your'e gentle in throttle application and steering inputs, you'll have no issues whatsoever in the rain.
I live a little bit higher north from you and thankfully we barely ever see any snow storms on this side of the globe. My FR-S handled horribly in deep snow even in WTR tires because apart from being RWD it's also very light and it barely generated any traction.

I already put Winters in my 2.0 only because of the lower temperatures and random trips to the ski resorts but I don't plan on taking the car out in the occasion we get 2-3 days of deep snow. In the rain, it's perfectly fine.

The 2.0 is a good choice as your first RWD vehicle as it's not overwhelmingly powerful as long as you understand your limits as a driver.

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
Hello!

from my experience ('20 GR Supra premium), the day I picked the car was raining cats and dogs and I had to drive about 200 miles. You should be fine as long as you are aware and being responsible as well as having traction control on. however, on snow you may have some trouble but can be remediated /w good snow tires. As a daily, it is very comfortable like driving a sedan. some said this is most comfortable seat they sat on. I like 2.0 seat as it is, I believe, suede or alcantara material /w 2 tone stitching.

I've known some driving s2000 as daily without any issue and it is far primitive than GR Supra.

diablo2112

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 BMW M3 Competition
Last edited:

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
I wouldn’t get an A90 to be a daily. Car isn’t too practical to be your primary car. As cool the car is and fast with great mpg. It’s better served as a weekend car. With the low clearance, to the rough riding low profile tires, low ceiling clearance, visible issues, and small rear trunk space. I would never own an A90 without having a second car. Just IMO.

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I wouldn’t get an A90 to be a daily. Car isn’t too practical to be your primary car. As cool the car is and fast with great mpg. It’s better served as a weekend car. With the low clearance, to the rough riding low profile tires, low ceiling clearance, visible issues, and small rear trunk space. I would never own an A90 without having a second car. Just IMO.
Depends on OP's expectation of dd. I've driven my M/T FRS since 2012 thru hell, in sickness and winter :p. Living in MI only thing it required was remote start which I installed later on. Still drive it thru winter with Blizzaks (needs a replacement). Sure some intersections gave me some trouble, but it is rewarding to successfully get out of sticky situations. It's obviously not geared towards snow or off-road, but you make do.
Unless you're hauling serious cargo with FRS or Supra, for grocery, golf, luggages it's ok for 2 people. Clearly neither has large sedan or SUV capacity, but I've lived thru it for past 8 years... But perhaps not everyone is crazy as I am :D
Tires you can always change for more comfort.
Visibility, OP should do a test drive. I'll agree it's not the easiest to see out, but you get used to it.
Full disclosure, Supra is yet to be my dd only because of my current limited garage capacity and wife's suv being the car in front. FRS out in the open :( Soon to be changed hopefully!
Coming back to original topic, mid to heavy rain, no problemo. Just don't go thru few feet deep puddles :rofl:

Ultimateone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AW A90
Totally disagree, I enjoy dailying my Supra over my M2 I had, so much more nice to drive in and stupidly great MPG.
Sponsored