2021 Toyota Supra…been some time…which oil brand & weight?

NitroMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium Nitro Yellow
Just looking for a fresh thread on this as many have On their cars for quite a while now and I’ve put a lot more miles on them. What brand and oil weights are you using for your car? Looking for people who just use the car for basic cruising, not track use.
Sponsored

bajanstefan

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
3.0 Premium
Just looking for a fresh thread on this as many have On their cars for quite a while now and I’ve put a lot more miles on them. What brand and oil weights are you using for your car? Looking for people who just use the car for basic cruising, not track use.
1 year ownership, 28k miles, living in the north east, never seen a garage, drive to work in traffic and on weekends I do my best not to meet state troopers; I've used Amsoil 0W-20 since December and no issues. Before then I've used Pennzoil 0W-20 full synthetic and Royal Purple 5W-20 as well. Noticeably better mileage on the amsoil and content thus far.

mortavious

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium Absolute Zero
I am closing in on the end of my break in period and it is unclear to me why folks are using 5w30 oil. I get that it is more viscous so it may be more protective but is there any data to back that up? Why would the Toyota/BMW engineers say to use 0w20 if it were inadequate?

bajanstefan

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
3.0 Premium
I think it’s becaus
I am closing in on the end of my break in period and it is unclear to me why folks are using 5w30 oil. I get that it is more viscous so it may be more protective but is there any data to back that up? Why would the Toyota/BMW engineers say to use 0w20 if it were inadequate?
It’s likely cause BMWs guidance for the B58 in general gives a range of like 0-20 to 5-40 or something so people naturally tried everything just cause they could and were curious.

Zupra1776

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 MKV Supra and floating toys.
I had this discussion with a friend of mine who has been working on BMWs in high performance applications for 20 years, and he said when it gets hot and you push the car, 0w20 is simply too thin.

For the grocery drivers with no intent to ever mod or track you will be fine with 0w20.

I just got liquid Molly 5w30 kit here and will be swapping out the second batch of 0w20 when I hit the 5k mark. FCP Euro Liquid Molly 5w30 kit.

bajanstefan

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
3.0 Premium
Le
I had this discussion with a friend of mine who has been working on BMWs in high performance applications for 20 years, and he said when it gets hot and you push the car, 0w20 is simply too thin.

For the grocery drivers with no intent to ever mod or track you will be fine with 0w20.

I just got liquid Molly 5w30 kit here and will be swapping out the second batch of 0w20 when I hit the 5k mark. FCP Euro Liquid Molly 5w30 kit.
Let me know how that goes. I’ve got mods on mods coming in this week to install in the coming weeks. Any mods on your end?

Zupra1776

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 MKV Supra and floating toys.
Le

Let me know how that goes. I’ve got mods on mods coming in this week to install in the coming weeks. Any mods on your end?
Armaspeed intake will be here soon. Waiting on downpipes to come back instock as I've got a tunable 21 and will be going Viconti flex fuel.

bajanstefan

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
3.0 Premium
Armaspeed intake will be here soon. Waiting on downpipes to come back instock as I've got a tunable 21 and will be going Viconti flex fuel.
Nice, xph should have pipes and have a coupon or two floating around. Got my catted AA for 982 before the price hike but now after the increase when you use the coupon it should be around 1100.

nosavingthrow

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2022 Mazda 3 Turbo
There just isn't enough cars and forums members providing data points to really draw concrete conclusions, but anecdotally, I have not yet heard of anyone running xW-30 or heavier oil develop excessive oil burn.

One thing to keep in mind is OEM oil recommendation is driven by more factors than "which is best for the engine". One huge factor is EPA emission standards. It's very possible the optimal oil for the B58 is heavier but if it came standard from factory, the car would no longer be legal to sell in USA due to emissions.

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
I followed the manual: 0W-20. I used Mobil 1. I don't really buy into the anecdotal "my cousin's brother's best friend knows cars and said to use 5W-30". My car is used on spirited back roads, the track, and occasional errands.

je8

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra
'20 here and using factory spec for now but definitely eyeing 5W-30/40 options, just as I would on a '21. If I was in a hotter climate and/or tracking my car I would likely have switched already - also because I am on ethonal/DP/tuned and have some worry the factory spec not being the best option for motor longevity, especially since it is outputting significantly more power than stock. Like others speculate, other factors like fuel economy could have played a factor in the decision on factory spec 0W-20.

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
Manufacturer recommendations are full of bad advice that are just thrown in there for emissions, marketing, or legal reasons. 0W20 is only recommended for emissions reasons, it is woefully inadequate for a high power turbo car, full stop. That turbo will rip it to shreds long before the oil change interval is up, I'd be surprised if it was higher than a 10 weight after 2000 miles of aggressive driving, which is basically just water.

From what I understand, the US is the only region in which 0W20 is recommended for this engine (though the manual says you can use up to a 40 weight), everywhere else recommends a 30 weight. Every other high performance turbo car uses a 30-40 weight oil. The US B58 is not special, it needs the same.

Bundy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra A90, 2021 Subaru Outback
From what I understand, the US is the only region in which 0W20 is recommended for this engine (though the manual says you can use up to a 40 weight), everywhere else recommends a 30 weight.
No, here in Sweden the recommended oil is also 0W20. The manual state that alternative weight could be used but the preferred oil is 0W20. This is also what the dealer put in the car if they change the oil.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
If you guys want to to run a thicker weight for peace of mind, go with a 0w30 not a 5w30…..
Any thicker than that and I'd want to upgrade the cooler before switching. The other reason (besides "emissions reasons") for the lighter oil is it circulates better and thus stays cooler. It's a balancing act and the engineers undoubtedly spec'd the cooling for the lighter oil as well.

I agree with @Axix23 on 0W30 vs 5W30 unless you live in a consistently warm climate - because although your turbo might not "rip it to shreds" as easily... it will rip itself to shreds more easily if startup starvation occurs very often. ;)
Sponsored