2022 Model Year Toyota GR Supra

Multiple Choice: What changes are you expecting or would like to see for 2022?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mimosa

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
-
I actually got a phone call 2 nights ago from Toyota about the survey I submitted. They wanted to know if I had anything else that I wanted to add.

I brought up:
  • Bump steer issue in track and spirited driving.
  • Manufacturer tuning option or at least offer something through a reputable tuner.
    • Also brought up the locked ECU issue on a "tuner" car.
  • Wind Buffeting
  • Android Auto
  • DCT and/or Manual
    • Talked about the GRMN rumors a little bit. He knew just as much as everyone else does.
  • Fake Vents
    • Called them out on their remarks about the vents being functional and tuner friendly and to educate the salesmen at dealership to stop saying that they can be made functional.
  • Add a premium brake kit option (at least getting rid of the ugly setup in the rear)
  • A91 Issues (Basically just do better on future "edition" cars)
    • Omission of HUD unit for the A91 ($2200 part for the customer)
    • Out of place carbon fiber mirror caps (and not including matte caps with all A91s sold)
    • Floor mats not matching the trunk mat.
    • I added that the extras didn't validate the MSRP of the A91. Especially since it lacked the pricey HUD unit.
The gentleman on the phone was really nice. He said that some changes could come in 2022 since they've already been made aware of some of the issues from the 2020 model. Although newer issues or less common complaints could be changed in a later model year or not at all. But he was speaking about Toyota's general line up for the most part.

If they did a survey for the 2020 models, I'm sure some changes will be making their way over in 2022 with more changes to follow in 2023.

Last edited:

solidsamir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sold
Ya so if all these people are getting surveys, likely the 2022 MY is already being built, they are collecting data for a refresh 2023. This is consistent with what we've been told about he life cycle of this Supra.

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
I actually got a phone call 2 nights ago from Toyota about the survey I submitted. They wanted to know if I had anything else that I wanted to add.

I brought up:
  • Bump steer issue in track and spirited driving.
  • Manufacturer tuning option or at least offer something through a reputable tuner.
    • Also brought up the locked ECU issue on a "tuner" car.
  • Wind Buffeting
  • Android Auto
  • DCT and/or Manual
    • Talked about the GRMN rumors a little bit. He knew just as much as everyone else does.
  • Fake Vents
    • Called them out on their remarks about the vents being functional and tuner friendly and to educate the salesmen at dealership to stop saying that they can be made functional.
  • Add a premium brake kit option (at least getting rid of the ugly setup in the rear)
  • A91 Issues (Basically just do better on future "edition" cars)
    • Omission of HUD unit for the A91 ($2200 part for the customer)
    • Out of place carbon fiber mirror caps (and not including matte caps with all A91s sold)
    • Floor mats not matching the trunk mat.
    • I added that the extras didn't validate the MSRP of the A91. Especially since it lacked the pricey HUD unit.
The gentleman on the phone was really nice. He said that some changes could come in 2022 since they've already been made aware of some of the issues from the 2020 model. Although newer issues or less common complaints could be changed in a later model year or not at all. But he was speaking about Toyota's general line up for the most part.

If they did a survey for the 2020 models, I'm sure some changes will be making their way over in 2022 with more changes to follow in 2023.
Perfect. This is everything I would've called out.

Captain_Kirk

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
Just out of curiosity, anyone know if the Z4 E86 Coupe and E89 (top on windows down) suffer from the same wind buffeting issue?

SupraGR21

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra Premium
Just out of curiosity, anyone know if the Z4 E86 Coupe and E89 (top on windows down) suffer from the same wind buffeting issue?
I spoke to a New Z4 owner not too long ago and he said they do not have the wind buffeting issue that we have.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
maybe we havent heard anything yet because Toyota wants to move as many 21s as possible before making an announcement on the next model year. :dunno:

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Interestingly enough, things have been extremely quiet on my end regarding upcoming products. I think with the uncertainty of timelines due to the pandemic, Toyota (and other OEMS) are playing their cards very close to the chest. With supply constraints in microprocessors and other supply line causing big problems for a number of manufacturers, I'm not at all surprised if releases for niche products like Supra get pushed back a bit.

As much as I would love a manual in the '22, I feel like I would have heard something by now about it, but sadly that's not the case. We'll see though! If we do get a manual though, it will very likely be the ZF GS6-45BZ, which I am concerned a bit about from a torque-holding perspective, but we'll see!

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 05' S2000
The new 3rd gen G29 Z4? I'm wondering about 1st and 2nd gens.
They do not have the wind buffeting. I rode in one on the track with both windows down and it just sounded like any other 2-door coupe with windows down. This was with the hardtop on as well.

Jeonsa

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
N/A
Interestingly enough, things have been extremely quiet on my end regarding upcoming products. I think with the uncertainty of timelines due to the pandemic, Toyota (and other OEMS) are playing their cards very close to the chest. With supply constraints in microprocessors and other supply line causing big problems for a number of manufacturers, I'm not at all surprised if releases for niche products like Supra get pushed back a bit.

As much as I would love a manual in the '22, I feel like I would have heard something by now about it, but sadly that's not the case. We'll see though! If we do get a manual though, it will very likely be the ZF GS6-45BZ, which I am concerned a bit about from a torque-holding perspective, but we'll see!
From what I’ve heard, Tetsuya Tada and his team were testing manual variants of the Supra, but durability was a concern at first. So maybe they’re just taking their time making sure the manual was up to the task.

solidsamir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sold
From what I’ve heard, Tetsuya Tada and his team were testing manual variants of the Supra, but durability was a concern at first. So maybe they’re just taking their time making sure the manual was up to the task.
I feel that's marketing nonsense. I always assumed they had a hard time negotiating the safety systems with the manual. Toyota claims everyone of their vehicles comes with all safety systems standard or something right? Its probably cost prohibitive for them.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
I feel that's marketing nonsense. I always assumed they had a hard time negotiating the safety systems with the manual. Toyota claims everyone of their vehicles comes with all safety systems standard or something right? Its probably cost prohibitive for them.
For this vehicle aren’t they adapting BMW’s version of those active safety systems and re-branding them under the “Toyota Safety Sense 2.0” name?

BMW already sells a version of the Z4 2.0L with a 6-speed manual in Europe so at the very least there is a whole manual driveline already set up for those safety systems that can be adapted with some tweaks. For the 3.0L against a manual maybe it would take even more work to implement?

Someone correct me if I am wrong about Toyota re-packaging and re-badging the equivalent Z4 active safety hardware for the Supra.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.