2022 Model Year Toyota GR Supra

Multiple Choice: What changes are you expecting or would like to see for 2022?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
For this vehicle aren’t they adapting BMW’s version of those active safety systems and re-branding them under the “Toyota Safety Sense 2.0” name?

BMW already sells a version of the Z4 2.0L with a 6-speed manual in Europe so at the very least there is a whole manual driveline already set up for those safety systems that can be adapted with some tweaks. For the 3.0L against a manual maybe it would take even more work to implement?

Someone correct me if I am wrong about Toyota re-packaging and re-badging the equivalent Z4 active safety hardware for the Supra.
Correct, this is the BMW Safety Suite. BMW already pairs this with a Manual transmission, so it technically wouldn't be a problem for the Supra.
Sponsored

solidsamir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sold
Correct, this is the BMW Safety Suite. BMW already pairs this with a Manual transmission, so it technically wouldn't be a problem for the Supra.
Does it? I'm looking at the m2 and m3/4 right now and I don't see adaptive cruise control as an option. Isn't that the thing thats hard to match with a manual?

Last edited:

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Does it? I'm looking at the m2 and m3/4 right now and I don't see auto cruise/lane keep etc as an option
I know in the Fxx generations it was, at least in the US. The manual trans' cars could be specced with automatic brake assist. Not sure if they've changed that with the Gxx series cars.

solidsamir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sold
I know in the Fxx generations it was, at least in the US. The manual trans' cars could be specced with automatic brake assist. Not sure if they've changed that with the Gxx series cars.
Sorry just edited my post, adaptive cruise control is missing though right? that's the hard one to pair with a manual?

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry just edited my post, adaptive cruise control is missing though right? that's the hard one to pair with a manual?
This I am not sure on. Presumably, the brake assist would be the tough one (stalling out) and radar cruise would be straightforward, since these cars have more than enough torque to modulate speeds in a single gear.

solidsamir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sold
This I am not sure on. Presumably, the brake assist would be the tough one (stalling out) and radar cruise would be straightforward, since these cars have more than enough torque to modulate speeds in a single gear.
If someone has to immediately take over during auto cruise, manual might be a problem no? I'm not sure though I've never driven a manual with cruise control.

Jeonsa

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
N/A
I feel that's marketing nonsense. I always assumed they had a hard time negotiating the safety systems with the manual. Toyota claims everyone of their vehicles comes with all safety systems standard or something right? Its probably cost prohibitive for them.
I mean that could be true too. I think there’s a lot of variables since they are working with BMW.

MrBenoJacko

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GT86
If someone has to immediately take over during auto cruise, manual might be a problem no? I'm not sure though I've never driven a manual with cruise control.
I own a 2019 Ford Focus 1.5 St Line-X as a company car which has a six speed manual transmission and it has lane assist, auto stop/start, adaptive cruise control etc! The only thing it doesn't have is the traffic assist where it keeps distance to the car in front when in traffic, but ive never felt like I needed it.

Again this is in a 30k Ford however I would expect a Supra which costs 60k to easily have these features...

solidsamir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sold
I own a 2019 Ford Focus 1.5 St Line-X as a company car which has a six speed manual transmission and it has lane assist, auto stop/start, adaptive cruise control etc! The only thing it doesn't have is the traffic assist where it keeps distance to the car in front when in traffic, but ive never felt like I needed it.

Again this is in a 30k Ford however I would expect a Supra which costs 60k to easily have these features...
Is adaptive cruise control the same as dynamic radar cruise control? I just sold my 2019 RAV4 and it had dynamic which kept distance from vehicles in front of me and slowed me to 0 when needed. Toyota keeps that standard on all new models.

MrBenoJacko

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GT86
Is adaptive cruise control the same as dynamic radar cruise control? I just sold my 2019 RAV4 and it had dynamic which kept distance from vehicles in front of me and slowed me to 0 when needed. Toyota keeps that standard on all new models.
I've never tried to allow it to slow all the way down to 0 because its a manual I have to put my foot on the clutch at some point. I usually have it enabled on the motorway travelling at 70mph and I've had it slow down to 20-25 for me but at that point I need change from 6th gear to 2nd or 3rd otherwise I feel like it would stall.

The Ford has crash detective system also so if a car suddenly stops in front or if someone steps out on the road it will automatically brake and stop the car. All of of these featured can be tweaked or disabled if needed in the cars settings via on the board computer using steering wheel controls. Has Android Auto aswell.

If a Ford Focus can have these features when the cars costs less than 30k I don't see how a 60k premium sports car cant, however I suppose it depends if BMW/Toyota can be bothered to make it work with a manual trans. It would be crazy if they don't release a manual because of these reasons.

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 05' S2000
Does it? I'm looking at the m2 and m3/4 right now and I don't see adaptive cruise control as an option. Isn't that the thing thats hard to match with a manual?
Having owned a 2020 M2 Competition, the car did not come with adaptive cruise control. It did however come with lane monitoring as well as emergency braking. It did not come with lane keep assist which our cars have.

That being said, the systems were all there software wise, there just wasnt the hardware to enable it.

Funny enough there were some hardware that had certain options available but BMW decided to just not do the extra wiring. In the M2 Competition side mirrors, you can see where the blind side monitoring warning signal would be, but the car did not come with that feature.

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
https://www.carsdirect.com/2022/toy...o offer,an eight-speed automatic transmission.

2022 TOYOTA SUPRA: PREVIEW, PRICING, RELEASE DATE

MODEL PREVIEW

The Toyota Supra arrived in 2020 as an all-new model. Built in partnership with BMW, the Supra gave Toyota a high-performance sports car while resurrecting an iconic name. With Toyota giving the Supra a few updates last year, we expect the 2022 Toyota Supra to be a carryover model.

When the Supra was introduced, it arrived with the same overall design as the radical FT-1 Concept. The Supra’s short wheelbase, long hood, and stubby rear end make it look like an exotic two-seater. Unlike a lot of other cars on the market, the Supra has a bubbled hood and a pointy nose, giving it a unique look. We expect the 2022 Toyota Supra to share the same overall design as the current model.

On the inside, the current Supra looks and feels similar to one of BMW’s products. The infotainment screen, buttons, dials, gear shifter, and layout of the center console are all reminiscent of a BMW. That’s not a bad thing, as the Supra’s cabin is easy to use and handsome. The current sports car is also snug on the inside for two people, while offering a relatively large cargo area thanks to a hatchback-like trunk. As a carryover model, the 2022 Supra is expected to have the same interior as the current vehicle.

On top of the standard 8.8-inch touchscreen, we expect the 2022 Supra to come with four audio speakers, a USB port, Bluetooth, and satellite radio as standard. Available features will include navigation, wireless Apple CarPlay, a 12-speaker JBL audio system, and a wireless smartphone charging pad.

Toyota is expected to offer two engines with the 2022 Supra. The base engine is a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder that makes 255 horsepower. A more powerful turbocharged 3.0-liter inline-six engine is available and makes 382 hp. Both engines are paired with an eight-speed automatic transmission. In typical sports car fashion, rear-wheel drive is standard.

The current Supra comes with forward collision warning, automatic emergency braking, pedestrian detection, lane keeping assist, lane departure warning, and automatic high-beam assist as standard. Parking sensors, adaptive cruise control, a head-up display, blind spot monitoring, and rear cross traffic alert are optional. We expect these safety features to remain the same for the 2022 Supra.

PRICING & RELEASE DATE
Toyota hasn’t announced an official release date for the 2022 Supra. Based on past years, we expect a summer 2021 arrival.

Pricing for the 2022 Toyota Supra is also a mystery. Pricing for the current Supra starts at $43,985 and goes up to $55,790 with destination. Without any expected changes, pricing should remain close to the current model.

This sports car will compete against the Porsche 718 Cayman, Chevrolet Corvette, BMW Z4, and Audi TT.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
If 2022 model years really will be just a carryovers then it’s quite a waste of opportunity to bring out many features that we’ve been expecting.

I find myself thinking of this old commercial:

Status
Not open for further replies.