All-new 2023 Nissan Z makes world debut!

Raidernation

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Tungsten Silver 3.0 Premium Supra
Same reason a 400 hp Audi is $65k. Quality. The 350 and 370 are cheap and plastic. This will be no different. The Supra has a BMW interior, and that's what you pay for, and not even that much. If BMW would've made the Supra alone, and called it a Z4 Coupe, it would be $70k instead of $55k. You get what you pay for. IF the Z Is as cheap as it's rumored, it'll be very clear why.
100% agree on the 370Z being cheap and plastic. That was my biggest grip about my 370z. It just felt cheap. For example, the window buttons and the window button housing felt like something someone made in a 3D printer. People that think the Supra has a lot of road noise should ride in a 370z. Hands down the 370z was loudest car for road noise I have ever owned.
Sponsored

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Regardless of what it is, I think it's a great complement to the Supra. Competition makes the market much better, and a Z at 35k or 45k or 55k are all good news because it will push Toyota to keep the A90 fresh.

I figured from the very beginning that they would be using the same classic Nissan FM platform evolution, and that's really the only thing that worries me. The 370z had a very forgettable chassis, the Q60 RS400 is near 4000-lbs and also just not a very good chassis. Nissan using the existing platform presents a great opportunity for cost savings, but also means they are really going to have to work very hard to make this car feel good.

I truly hope they can pull it off though. The VR30 seems like a great powerplant, just needs everything around it to be better.

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
@Guff, your next youtube vid should be Z vs Supra
Once there's real info on it, or better yet, I can drive one, I will happily make one!

Although history of the Z and it's impact on Nissan as a company would be a good video for sure. The Z has been Nissans saving grace on more than one occasion.

F1 Silver Arrows

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
Sorry if I upset anyone. I thought we were having a good healthy discussion until shit started hitting the fan. Personally I feel competition is good. Especially if it forces Toyota to make yearly improvements. In the end it's the buyers that win and benefit. I also think in the age of crossovers that a newly added affordable Japanese sports car would be welcomed by the enthusiast crowd. Some of you may have misunderstood or taken what I have said in the past out of context. I never said a "$35k or $40k" Z will be on par with a $50k+ Supra. At that price point something has to give. Some people that can't afford a Supra or may not want to spend that much money maybe ok with a Z with a lower quality interior. Some may just want a manual, and others may not what to deal with the issues and headaches common associated with the typical German cars. Whatever the reasoning, isn't having more choices a good thing? I know this a bit cliche, but different stokes for different folks. :nixon:
Don't apologize. You said a lot valid truths. I only just disagreed with you on the C&D part because most of their readers don't even know where they are.

ogun228

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Turbulence gray Premium Supra
1616789426362.png

1616789449721.png

1616789468816.png

1616789483895.png

1616789497400.png

These images are from CAR mag UK.

Jeonsa

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
N/A
Regardless of what it is, I think it's a great complement to the Supra. Competition makes the market much better, and a Z at 35k or 45k or 55k are all good news because it will push Toyota to keep the A90 fresh.

I figured from the very beginning that they would be using the same classic Nissan FM platform evolution, and that's really the only thing that worries me. The 370z had a very forgettable chassis, the Q60 RS400 is near 4000-lbs and also just not a very good chassis. Nissan using the existing platform presents a great opportunity for cost savings, but also means they are really going to have to work very hard to make this car feel good.

I truly hope they can pull it off though. The VR30 seems like a great powerplant, just needs everything around it to be better.
Honestly with the new Z rearing it’s head, I’m actually more curious on how Toyota will counterpunch. What a time to be an enthusiast.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Honestly with the new Z rearing it’s head, I’m actually more curious on how Toyota will counterpunch. What a time to be an enthusiast.
They'll update the idrive to include Android auto, maybe slap in a digital display, refresh the look a bit and call it a day.
There's a small possibility of a manual I guess.

Then of course the GRMN will squash any would be competition immediately.

Jeonsa

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
N/A
They'll update the idrive to include Android auto, maybe slap in a digital display, refresh the look a bit and call it a day.
There's a small possibility of a manual I guess.

Then of course the GRMN will squash any would be competition immediately.
Maybe some more special editions too like a TRD paint scheme/badge

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
A 400hp 2 seat hatch for less than $40K, sign me up! I just might have to add it as a baby bro to my Supra.

-RJM
Speaking as someone who had a base model 350Z... Nissan knows how to pull a lot of costs out of a car. It had an open diff, single piston brakes, no TCS or stability control, tiny cast wheels, no power seats, no cruise control... so yeah, Nissan knows how to pull a lot of costs out of a car...

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
There's no way anything on the FM platform is gonna be 2800 lbs.
Yeah, I think so as well. Just from a safety standard nowadays, I don’t it’s even possible for Nissan to make a 2800lb sports car. Toyota had to make a “smaller” Supra to save weight with the MKV, and that still came in at 3200lbs.