All-new 2023 Nissan Z makes world debut!

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium/Absolute Zero
Just shared this on our other forum. To those that don't love it as is. I think the aftermarket could do wonders in the look department.

https://www.nissanzclub.com/forum/threads/behind-the-design-nissan-z-proto.100/page-2#post-3432
That front end is so much better looking than what we currently have on the Z proto. I kept asking myself, if they wanted to retro the car so badly why did they have the headlights flush mounted to the hood, bumper, and fenders when the one thing I remember the most about the old one was the inset headlights. I like this so much more!

max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
For your sake, I hope Toyota drops the Supra $3-$5k off so you can pick up yours up in about a year....... And if they don’t, you can always go pick up a new Z... Because it will have a manual too and way cheaper than the Supra....
.....and maybe, just maybe, "Intellect" will be just as cheap by then or better yet, free of charge so that you don't have to have someone explain to you what that modfied "H" pattern is on the top of the gear selector in your "make believe" manual......Oh that's right, since it does look like an "H", more like looking at the pictures instead of being able to read the words in a book.

Dude, just stop. I kind of enjoy this forum. If it suits you, I will stop posting in this thread. Someone has to be the bigger person here......LOL?

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium
Just some observations from a former 350Z and 370Z, current Supra owner.

I think it'll be a formidable adversary to the 3.0 Supra (sorry 2.0 Supra). However, the current top of the line offering (not talking about a future Nismo version) will probably fare slightly lower than the Supra, stock for stock.

I'm happy about the return of the Z. Happy, not thrilled though. I was actually hoping for more - both chassis and styling. Although the latter is subjective (more on that later), the old platform has at least evolved a bit with more aluminum and carbon fiber. The VR30DDTT is plenty. If not, there are tuning options just like our B58. While the FM platform is nearly 20 years old now, at least Nissan didn't chicken out of the Z program altogether - we're looking at you Mazda (RX-???) and Mitsubishi (3000GT).

While the 6-speed manual is carried over from the 370Z, it'll be interesting to see how auto journalists, drivers and YouTubers react to it. I remember quite a few nagging at its notchiness and feel in the 370Z. I personally had no complaints and loved the "lazy man's" Synchro rev-match capability - I'm happy it's returning! If you hear complaints about the vague clutch pedal, that should be easily remedied as well - thanks to RJM, I loved that pedal!

Now, the 370Z was one of the last to have hydraulic power steering. I'm sure the new Z will be an EPS. (Haven't dug that far in research yet.)

Regarding the interior, I was shocked to see how much appears to be carried over from the 370Z - steering wheel stalks, door handles and air vents, climate control knobs and hand brake, seat designs...even down to the inboard seat bottom power controls! I wished Nissan would've gotten a little more creative. Ok, so the big infotainment screen has replaced the clunky old NAV unit and cubby hole and the vertical vents are now horizontally placed above it. Meh. At least now I can't complain about my BMW interior. Lol.

With a few great Photoshop renditions on the Z forums, the current prototype exterior doesn't exactly excite. I know nearly everyone complains about the fake vents on the Supra, but at least they give a visual interest that complement the body lines. The Z just looks...boring? Someone once Photoshopped all the vents out on the Supra to blend into the body and it looked like a big jellybean. Hopefully the aftermarket will be able to help soon enough, especially with that stale rectangular front fascia.

We'll just have to wait and see how differently it drives compared to the 370Z. Not just a VQ to VR swap, but actual driving dynamics. At it's suggested pricing, it'll be about value as well, considering, as someone has mentioned earlier, the interior plastics and quality will be on par with the 370Z - albeit with a bit more LED screens. Higher than the BRZ/86 but definitely not BMW-like as the Supra.

Which brings us to the pricing. While it's been rumored to be quite a bit less than the 3.0 Supra, I don't believe it's as much of a threat to it. However, with the last iteration of the 86 TRD SE priced at $33k, the BRZ tS at $34k and the Mx-5 RF GT at $36k - all with around HALF the power of the new Z - the mid $30k to low $40k priced Z will definitely pull some buyers from the Mx-5, BRZ and 86 (as well as 2.0 Supra).

Wow, that was a long post. Sorry. Lol.

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-n...o-underpin-the-z-proto-and-400z-ar189583.html

2Cool

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra Premium 3.0
It will be heavier than the current model's 3232 base curb weight. It will start at more than the current Sport $35K, likely more than the Touring at $40K or Nismo at $45K.

It likely will not be as fast as specs suggest, pretty much like the Infinitis.

Interesting to see final production, but people imagining a car lighter than a BRZ with more power than a Supra need to shop for a Lotus Evora 400 or McLaren.

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
It will be heavier than the current model's 3232 base curb weight. It will start at more than the current Sport $35K, likely more than the Touring at $40K or Nismo at $45K.

It likely will not be as fast as specs suggest, pretty much like the Infinitis.

Interesting to see final production, but people imagining a car lighter than a BRZ with more power than a Supra need to shop for a Lotus Evora 400 or McLaren.
A $40k starting price for a base model without options doesn't seem outrageous to me.

The "leak" specs doesn't say anything about 0-60 time. The Q60 red sport does it in 4.5 seconds, but that thing is well over 3,800 lbs.

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium
Also, you want to rob Supra sales? Put in a Targa roof or T-tops like the 300Z. Lol. :headbang:

Although, I am jealous it's getting ventilated/cooled seats. I'd love that on the Supra. Even more so than more power.:dunno:

Sigg

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Mk5,Supra 2018 KTM SuperDuke, 21 sienna plat
Curious if the 6spd will be the same CD009 from the 350/370. Any info on the differential?
Same manual gearbox from what I've been reading and hearing. Basically a refreshed Z with a new body and an engine swap. And other upgrades here and there.

Sigg

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A $40k starting price for a base model without options doesn't seem outrageous to me.
Maybe Nissan needs to charge more, they're in a dumpster fire when it comes to sales. I think if they F this up theyre gonna be pouring gasoline onto the dumpster fire. On one end they need to keep the price down, but that hasn't been working for them. Instead they should put solid specs all around into the Z and charge a bit more. There is also perceived value, if they come our swinging too low, it'll probably turn some buyers away, like me, who are afraid of it being a bargain bin car. I'd rather the Z fight really hard for my money than be a cheap street wh*re.
But you could be right and they keep it around the same price. Just my opinion or course.

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Maybe Nissan needs to charge more, they're in a dumpster fire when it comes to sales. I think if they F this up theyre gonna be pouring gasoline onto the dumpster fire. On one end they need to keep the price down, but that hasn't been working for them. Instead they should put solid specs all around into the Z and charge a bit more. There is also perceived value, if they come our swinging too low, it'll probably turn some buyers away, like me, who are afraid of it being a bargain bin car. I'd rather the Z fight really hard for my money than be a cheap street wh*re.
But you could be right and they keep it around the same price. Just my opinion or course.
good point. Or It could filter out the "Supra kids" and make them buy the 400zx bc its more in their budget............

Sigg

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
good point. Or It could filter out the "Supra kids" and make them buy the 400zx bc its more in their budget............
I think the Z will definitely be the next Instagram car that ever kid and their mom will try to kit out. But hopefully it's a super dope car. I'd prefer it's a super dope car but based on what I've seen so far, it's the ZONK for me!
Sponsored