285/35/19 Yokohama Apex V601 affect DSC?

Lude1888

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra LE, Kawi Z1000
So recently I noticed my car has been kicking in the DSC around 80mph and up on turns that normally shouldn’t affect it. I am in stock wheels with the stock PSS on the front and kw DDC coilovers. Car was aligned, tuned, and tracked on this setup with no issues. The only mod that has been done recently is a slightly wider rear wheel which is a 285/35/19 yokohama apex v601. I plan to do the front as well 1 size wider to 255/35/19 , but there is still a lot of tread left for now. My question is: Do you guys think that the wider rear tire is affecting the DSC without changing the front? Or maybe the advan is slipping a lot more than the PSS even though I have no issue when turning the DSC off on the same turn near 110mph? I have read in some bmw forums that there is a specific front/rear wheel size ratio you don’t want to exceed for the DSC. Can someone shine some light or confirm if they are seeing something similar?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Okvilln

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Toyota Supra | 20' Audi S5 SB | 11' R8
Arent the front tires 255/35/19 from factory?

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
OP
OP
Lude1888

Lude1888

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra LE, Kawi Z1000
hello! What timing. I started a related thread yesterday. https://www.supramkv.com/threads/ov...flca-caster-bearing-alignment-and-tires.9705/

Seems like the tire has something to do with VSC. I am using stock sizes all around. Is it still doing it after you’ve taken it on track? I am going to the track this Thursday. I’m mostly hoping things will be ok in sport traction.
Yeah i am leaning toward it being tire related unfortunately. As mentioned before this issue only happened once i changed to these tires. Immediately after without any other modifications.

Okvillin you are correct 255/35/19 is the correct size. I meant to say 265/35/19 to pair with the 285/35/19. It does potentially appear to be tire compound related at this time not the increased offset.

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Yeah i am leaning toward it being tire related unfortunately. As mentioned before this issue only happened once i changed to these tires. Immediately after without any other modifications.

Okvillin you are correct 255/35/19 is the correct size. I meant to say 265/35/19 to pair with the 285/35/19. It does potentially appear to be tire compound related at this time not the increased offset.
I actually wonder if switching to a matched size up front will help. Though I think CarGuy101 has mismatched front/rear like you and doesn't have any issues - but he's on PS4S.

gdi2290

First Name
PatrickJS
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
turn off the TPMS monitoring in the headunit via bimmercode and try again

kyippee

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2022 M235
The general understanding I have is that if your wheels/tires’ overall diameters differ from stock, the TC/DSC will be more sensitive because they usually read wheel speeds. Different overall diameters will produce different wheel speeds.

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium/Absolute Zero
So recently I noticed my car has been kicking in the DSC around 80mph and up on turns that normally shouldn’t affect it. I am in stock wheels with the stock PSS on the front and kw DDC coilovers. Car was aligned, tuned, and tracked on this setup with no issues. The only mod that has been done recently is a slightly wider rear wheel which is a 285/35/19 yokohama apex v601. I plan to do the front as well 1 size wider to 255/35/19 , but there is still a lot of tread left for now. My question is: Do you guys think that the wider rear tire is affecting the DSC without changing the front? Or maybe the advan is slipping a lot more than the PSS even though I have no issue when turning the DSC off on the same turn near 110mph? I have read in some bmw forums that there is a specific front/rear wheel size ratio you don’t want to exceed for the DSC. Can someone shine some light or confirm if they are seeing something similar?
Hey did you ever figure this out? I'm about to swap to a 285/35/19 Rear tire and was hoping to keep using my factory 255/35/19 fronts.

gdi2290

First Name
PatrickJS
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Reset your TPMS and set to Other tire. That will fix all the problems

OP
OP
Lude1888

Lude1888

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra LE, Kawi Z1000
Hey did you ever figure this out? I'm about to swap to a 285/35/19 Rear tire and was hoping to keep using my factory 255/35/19 fronts.
I did not quite figure it out. Its much better now though after putting some hard miles on them. It is likely due to the fact that the tires were new, and maybe slightly less grippy than the stocks? The issue i was seeing was that at higher speed turns the front wheel traction control would kick in and cause me to understeer. If i turn off the stability control and keep traction control onthis issue goes away completely.

I do still need to try and reset TPMS per gdi2290's suggestion in bimmercode. I haven't done that yet, but i did set the tire to custom thus far which did not fix the issue. Curious to why it would need to be done with bimmercode. Can you enlighten gdi2290 ?

gdi2290

First Name
PatrickJS
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I first said turn off tpms in bimmer which works but thats because i just didn't set it correctly (you lose tire pressure sensor temperature). When you reset your tpms set the tire to Other tire and that will fix everything.
Sponsored