3.0 or the 3.0 Premium?

eyeye96

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
So I have been doing some reading about all the problems with the supra and from what I found, I doubt if the 3.0 premium is worthy anymore. So I read that the speakers are terrible, the infotainment screen is not that great and the HUD is useless as it just displays speed and nothing much. If that's the case then should I just go for a 3.0 rather than a 3.0 premium?
Sponsored

Grendel-13

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 2015 BMW 435xi
HUD also displays Navigation info and Ipod and Radio info when you are changing songs / stations.
The larger display is better for the Navigation. This is same screen as current BMW series. last gen I-drive setup, which is slightly better than current generation I-drive, Also there is a daytime brightness issue that they need to fix on display screen. Has to do with light sensor in car. It automatically dims display when sun isn't shinning in from behind car. It's dimming the display too much to the point that you can barely read some of the settings on the screen. They need to put back the day time brightness control in the screen menus. Compared to the Harman Kardon system you get in the BMW the stereo is kind of lame. The full leather seats are better on the premium.

angrytoddler

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Red LE Supra MKV, Toyota FJ Cruiser, Ford Explorer Sport
So I have been doing some reading about all the problems with the supra and from what I found, I doubt if the 3.0 premium is worthy anymore. So I read that the speakers are terrible, the infotainment screen is not that great and the HUD is useless as it just displays speed and nothing much. If that's the case then should I just go for a 3.0 rather than a 3.0 premium?
Premium I think... I have not had issues with the screen - Stereo is good - except bluetooth which is lower volume than satellite or OTA - painted brake calipers look good - bigger display - HUD is more than just speed. It also can be used for media controls and displays map when navigation is active.

RRF985

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 BMW M550i, 2020 Supra Premium, 2015 991.1
I’d absolutely go for the Premium. The HUD is nice even though it’s limited. I like using it to change XM channels, or next song if I’m listening to Spotify. I don’t have to look away from the road for that. I don’t like alcantara so it was a must for me to get a Premium to get away from that. I feel for the price difference you get a lot. You won’t be disappointed. The standard small center screen look strange. The bigger screen is really nice. I think you’ll be happy if you get the a Premium. Either way, you’ll love the car. The performance is key. The other stuff is fluff.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
These are really subjective stuff.
Speakers are not terrible. You just need to set it up properly. Loudness, equalizer, your phone BT settings, etc. It's a JBL 500W system. If you are audiophile, that's a different story..
HUD is not useless. I love it. You can concentrate on the road. Sure it could have been better with shift light, but NAV info is good, the blinking speed limit is very useful! What did you want out of the HUD?
There is wireless charging, heated seats...
comes down to is $3-4K worth these for you. on top there is tech package to consider, etc...

OP
OP
eyeye96

eyeye96

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
Well I am not an apple person. I love android and CarPlay is of no use to me. In that case, I would be using my phone for navigation unless Toyota's navigation is better than google maps which I doubt. Well I never had HUD and so I dont know how useful it is. I just read that the speakers are bad but the people here say otherwise. I also read that the wireless charger is slow and the phone heats up. But the screen brightness issue still exists. So I will be paying 3-4K just for leather seats??

I would have not hesitated if it had Android Auto but that's not the case.

Drew42025

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra
I only drive my car on the weekends, so I feel like I could do without the extras. However, I wanted a LE, so that’s what it came with. If this were a daily driver for me, the Premium extras would be worth it in my opinion

thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NONE. BOUGHT BACK - 2020 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
I’m surprised no one has pointed out that the premium has larger rear brakes - the only real performance difference.

EDIT

I just went looking for the supporting info for this - I think I may have heard it in a YouTube review... gonna search more for confirmation.

SECOND EDIT

Yup. Found it in the Car and Driver full specs. 13.6in vs 13in rear rotors in the Premium and Standard respectively.

Half Vast

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Supra, 01 Tundra Limited, 00 4Runner
Bottom line is, buy what makes sense to you and you alone. Whatever your choice may be, enjoy the car.

AustinGRSupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
I’m surprised no one has pointed out that the premium has larger rear brakes - the only real performance difference.

EDIT

I just went looking for the supporting info for this - I think I may have heard it in a YouTube review... gonna search more for confirmation.

SECOND EDIT

Yup. Found it in the Car and Driver full specs. 13.6in vs 13in rear rotors in the Premium and Standard respectively.
And, they’re red. No red in the base.

Supra Guy

First Name
Frans
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
VW GTI
I thought about this too. The premium is worth the few extra $Ks IMO. Then again I used to have a base 2009 370Z and loved it. The question you have ask yourself is do you really need or want those extra things on the 3.0 premium.

JZSupra

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
In my opinion, if your buying “this car”. You might as well get the highest trim. Not to mention this isn’t a Porsche where you have a million different add ons. My 2±

Tsar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
1. What in particular makes the speakers terrible? I personally have no issues with them. Maybe if someone is an audiophile then they are terrible. Are you one? The only "issue" I've had with the sound system is when you play music through car play - it's not as loud.

2. What were your expectations out of HUD? It displays your speed, speed limit, directions, and radio station selection. What else does it need to display for it to not be considered useless? I personally do not want clutter on my windshield.

3. The only issue I've heard about the infotainment screen is that it was too dim. Is that the issue? I think that's subjective, if anything, I personally don't think it's dim.

thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NONE. BOUGHT BACK - 2020 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
2. What were your expectations out of HUD? It displays your speed, speed limit, directions, and radio station selection. What else does it need to display for it to not be considered useless?
I like the HUD, but it has the same limitation as the same system in my sister’s X5. It only shows navigation visuals for the onboard nav. It doesn’t display next turn info from Google Maps, Waze, Apple Maps, etc...
Sponsored