Sponsored

Jobu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback
@Ghosted_trd's 2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road with 35" tires

Join us as we take an in-depth look at the 2024 Toyota Tacoma, fully equipped with 35-inch tires. In today's episode, we dive into a detailed performance review, examining how the truck handles both city and freeway driving with its robust modifications. We'll also share firsthand insights on the MPG achievements and the impact of the custom upgrades.

Sponsored

Ghosted_trd

First Name
Jace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 4Runner, 2017 4Runner, 2024 Tacoma

Join us as we take an in-depth look at the 2024 Toyota Tacoma, fully equipped with 35-inch tires. In today's episode, we dive into a detailed performance review, examining how the truck handles both city and freeway driving with its robust modifications. We'll also share firsthand insights on the MPG achievements and the impact of the custom upgrades.

Here is a truck update in case you watched the most recent Tacomabeast YouTube video.
The oil temp getting hot on the freeway is completely normal, it only gets a little hotter than usual but nothing concerning whatsoever. (The tow/haul mode helps BIG TIME!)
The transmission temp gets hot going up steep hills in 4HI and the shifter in Drive so the transmission was going back and forth the entire time. If you pop it into 1st-2nd gear in 4HI, it does great no overheating whatsoever, if you put it into 4LO it does amazing as well.
So yes it was a user error, and if anyone wants to sit here and say their 2nd-3rd gen Tacoma (or any vehicle matter of fact) transmission does get hot off-road. Think again, the Tacomas have never had a transmission temp gauge from the factory so nobody knows unless they have a unit to read the temps from the OBD2.

Ghosted_trd

First Name
Jace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 4Runner, 2017 4Runner, 2024 Tacoma

Also, I am now getting 16-17+MPG combined

2ndGen2TrlHntr

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Tacoma Off-Road; 2018 Audi S5 tuned
Also, I am now getting 16-17+MPG combined
Good info and thanks for the update! I watched the video earlier and it seemed like a bit of a negative review based on the overheating issue. From my perspective those MPG’s are good for the build/weight. I get 11 -12 (on a good day) with my built out 2nd gen on 33’s.

Are you using an OBD device that monitors temps? If so which one? I assume so based on your comment. I’m in CO as well and used to tow an offroad trailer up 70/285/off-road all the time. Never monitored it but I guarantee it was hot often. Engine temp was always perfect.

navid

First Name
Navid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Here is a truck update in case you watched the most recent Tacomabeast YouTube video.
The oil temp getting hot on the freeway is completely normal, it only gets a little hotter than usual but nothing concerning whatsoever. (The tow/haul mode helps BIG TIME!)
The transmission temp gets hot going up steep hills in 4HI and the shifter in Drive so the transmission was going back and forth the entire time. If you pop it into 1st-2nd gear in 4HI, it does great no overheating whatsoever, if you put it into 4LO it does amazing as well.
So yes it was a user error, and if anyone wants to sit here and say their 2nd-3rd gen Tacoma (or any vehicle matter of fact) transmission does get hot off-road. Think again, the Tacomas have never had a transmission temp gauge from the factory so nobody knows unless they have a unit to read the temps from the OBD2.
Hey how do we order those wheels with the +12 offset. Can't seem to find them anywhere. Thanks for your help

bking

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150
Good info and thanks for the update! I watched the video earlier and it seemed like a bit of a negative review based on the overheating issue. From my perspective those MPG’s are good for the build/weight. I get 11 -12 (on a good day) with my built out 2nd gen on 33’s.

Are you using an OBD device that monitors temps? If so which one? I assume so based on your comment. I’m in CO as well and used to tow an offroad trailer up 70/285/off-road all the time. Never monitored it but I guarantee it was hot often. Engine temp was always perfect.
Trans temp is available as an option on the dash.