A90 Supra designed to be slower than LFA in 0 to 60

Do you believe this is Toyota's reasoning?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 22 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Redman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
No
Toyota/Lexus design every performance coupe A90 Supra, LC, RCF to be slower than the LFA Supercar! Toyota realized a twin turbo A90 Supra would be quicker from 0 to 60 than a LFA's 3.8 seconds, Toyota choose a single turbo nstead of the twin turbo engine., they did tons of track testing with. Lexus when designing the LC500 and RCF added weight to both the RCF and LC500 to they tipped the scale at over 4,000 lbs to make them not as quick as the LFA! The RCF and A90 Supra are much the same size why else is the RCF 400lbs heavier?
Sponsored

Last edited:

i3014

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW M135i
I don't think so.
The RCF and the A90 might be roughly the same size, but one has a i6 and 2 seats, the other is a V8 and 4(5?) seats. Not to forget that the RCF is a old car compared to the A90, that's where the 400lbs come from, in my opinion.

SupraFiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5 Supras currently
Nobody adds weight to a production car to intentionally slow it down. This is not a minimum weight class based racing series, its vehicle manufacturing in the suv/safety/gadget/pork age.

As for the twin turbos, BMW has moved away from them with this engine family, I doubt Toyota had much option there. Not that single vs twin means anything for max power output (big power mk4s almost always avoid twin setups btw).

Your conspiracy theory is highly flawed. A more likely one is that BMW wouldn't let the new Supra have the 382hp version of its motor because they knew their roadster z4 would come in heavier and thus have a slower 0-60.

bogglo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus GS
Why hasn't Lexus followed the Germans by adding twin turbo V8s in the RCF or LC, in the 550 to 600hp range? It would hurt the LFA's booming resale value having another Toyota or Lexus that's quicker and a 1/4 of the LFA's original price!
I c u Still not getting the point. Nothing is touching The LFA even if its faster. Aftermarket will likely break 3.8 0-60 by the end of the year for the supra. The LFA value has never been because of the performance figure, you have corvettes, GTR, with better performance figure than the LFA. its more about the engineering and how unique it is. I hope this little explanation helps.

Tkoch86

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 FRS [Halo] now a Launch Edition GR Supra #1062
Vehicle Showcase
Toyota or Lexus would not care about the LFA's resale value seeing how they do not sell the vehicle any more. It's no longer in production, therefore it would not hurt the non existant sales of a car no longer sold by the manufacturer that made it. After the original sale, it no longer matters to them. Does it reflect well? Yes. That would be it. And a luxury "supercar" is not in the same bracket as the GR Supra regardless. Does that help?

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
...A more likely one is that BMW wouldn't let the new Supra have the 382hp version of its motor because they knew their roadster z4 would come in heavier and thus have a slower 0-60.
BMW's M division certainly didn't want their latest and greatest motor variant showing up up in a cheaper, non-BMW car. It's the same reason BMW withheld the newer DIgital Cockpit spit-screen display, iController, and torque-vectoring M Sport diff from Toyota. From Urlich's comparative review of the Supra and Z4 at Autoblog:

Pressed on why the Supra must make do with the less-powerful, slower-reacting version of the inline-six, Tada stresses the desire for Supra "balance." But from my sources, I suspect the real reason is that BMW's haughty, pampered M Division wasn't about to share its newest and best handiwork with the likes of Toyota, just as the Supra doesn't get the M Sport model's torque-vectoring diff or BMW's new Digital Cockpit dual-screen IP/infotainment display.