A90 Supra Heat Exchanger List & Specifications

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
Hello, all. As you may or may not know, the Supra (and B58 in general) has two primary heat exchangers. The first is the "high temp" loop for the engine block, serviced by the rearmost radiator with coolant hoses on the upper and lower ends of the driver-side edge.

The second is the "low temp" loop, which helps cool the air-to-water intercooler built into the intake manifold. This coolant is the most important one for performance, as it's designed to bring down the temperature of the compressed air being sent from the turbo before being rammed into the cylinders for boombooms. When you see a "heat exchanger" for the Supra, it's this one and it's the frontmost large radiator in the car. This exchanger is serviced by a 90-deg clip-on hose on each side of the exchanger at the top edge.

There are lots of offerings in the market now and I was getting kinda salty that it was hard to keep track of their specifications. So I've started assembling a table of their capabilities relative to the OEM exchanger. I've done lots of crawling along the web, but some of these specifications are difficult to come by. Just as an example, CSF doesn't disclose how large the core is relative to the OEM unit and instead talks about their tubing, but CSF does publish relative fluid capacity. As another example, all the guys with the biggest radiators are more than happy to publish all their specs. Forge lists core size, fluid capacity, and thickness on their page -- understandably as it's by far the largest option and seems to get a lot less press than CSF, who apparently has the better PR and marketing team.

I would appreciate help filling some of the blanks if you can, but I'll keep digging.

VendorRelative Core SizeRelative Coolant CapacityThickness
Toyota OEM1.00X1.00X (8.3L)27mm
AMS1.54X2.22Xtbd
CSFtbd1.59X42mm
C&Rtbdtbd37mm
Forge2.70X2.77X80mm
Fluidynetbd1.40X45mm
Koyotbdtbd48mm
Mishimoto1.31Xtbd41mm
Wagner2.16Xtbd68mm
Sponsored

OP
OP
Thraxbert

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I posted this in the wrong section. :( Could a moderator move it to B58 engine, exhaust and drivetrain? Not sure who to tag. Sorry!

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra

DanTheManc

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Looking to buy
Has anybody done any real world testing on how the different brands perform? With the forge being the largest, would that suggest it's the best?

OP
OP
Thraxbert

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
In general: latest wisdom suggest that heat exchanger upgrades are not very helpful. Best to invest in an upgraded intake manifold for the best results.

Reactions: zrk

DanTheManc

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Looking to buy
In general: latest wisdom suggest that heat exchanger upgrades are not very helpful. Best to invest in an upgraded intake manifold for the best results.
If I had the money to justify a manifold I would. I'm getting a Pure 800 soon. Would fitting heat exchanger be worthwhile?

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Or both? A manifold someday with an upgraded heat exchanger???

OP
OP
Thraxbert

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The upgraded heat exchanger will help cool the car down faster between runs, but will not lower IATs. Only the manifold will lower IATs, and that's what adds power. There isn't much utility in the heat exchanger since it's not the limiting factor in the thermal system. The manifold is the weak point.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The upgraded heat exchanger will help cool the car down faster between runs, but will not lower IATs. Only the manifold will lower IATs, and that's what adds power. There isn't much utility in the heat exchanger since it's not the limiting factor in the thermal system. The manifold is the weak point.
Thanks for the reply! Really respect your opinion on these matters because I donā€™t have a clue other than what the manufacture advertising tells me. Whatā€™s youā€™re opinion with this post:

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/blown-turbo-at-track-need-help-cooling-it-down.14482/#post-217979

I really liked it. But again I donā€™t have even close to your expertise. I just drive the damn thingā€¦. And thank you for this thread. Interesting as shit, even for just track rats like me :)

Tcs supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
I found this too late! Just got a CSF heat exchanger and upgraded trans cooler.
Guess I should have saved up for the manifold instead.šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I found this too late! Just got a CSF heat exchanger and upgraded trans cooler.
Guess I should have saved up for the manifold instead.šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø
It certainly wonā€™t hurt. Youā€˜re doing what weā€˜ve all done in our other track cars.

Are you going the track or drag route? If you are going to track during your ā€œsummerā€ months, these drag kingsšŸ¤“are spot on. They do the majority of the testing for us track rats šŸ€ (go to the extremes way quicker). This is my 1st car forum and mega respect āœŠšŸ¼ Robert, Zack, & Jesseā€™s knowledge. Do, break, improve, repeat with insane horsepower! Help make this B58 a track beast šŸ¦ for the rest of us.

I got my $uspension goodies 1st & stay off track during my summer months. Iā€™ll eventually go the upgraded manifold route so I can hit a few summer rainy track days. And less power loss would be nice. Checkout @razorlabā€™s build page, if you havenā€™t already. Heā€™s done a fantastic job keeping power loss (heat down) as well.

Last edited:

D3ad_Hand

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra
@Thraxbert I was going for heat exchangers and stuff. Was debating between CSF or do88(got recommended by a friend) I dont know much about heat exchangers, but it would help to know whats the best heat exchanger to go for. Heard someone say that CSF is garbage. Also are transmission coolers and auxiliary radiators necessary?

P.S yes I know the best thing I could do for cooling is getting an intake manifold, but I dont have that kind of money rn.