A90 Supra life cycle: Incremental updates? New variants coming? What's next?

GRSupraguy

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91-MT Supra, Jaguar F-Type R
Safety and compliance testing costs too high (both monetarily and time wise) to make targa viable as a one or two year option

honestly the car is great as-is and if they fix a couple minor annoyances (like no dual climate zone sync, wtf) people should be grateful a car like that exists
What?? I just thought I was too dumb to figure out how to sync the climate control! Thatā€™s is ridiculous. Are other bmws like that?
Sponsored

MoTeC_R

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 A90 & 2022 A91-CF
I agree with a lot of what everyone saying but a lot of people didnā€™t think they would put the time and effort into the manual and they did. I think they almost have to if they plan to keep the car relevant longer than 2 more years on the market,

YellowJackit

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 MINI Clubman, 2023 BM X3, 2022 GR Supra
I would be surprised to see the Supra being delivered beyond 2024. With all the incremental changes being made to the car each year, it wouldn't make sense. Then again, nothing they have done to date adds up. The Z4 is set to die in 2025 and will probably take the corporate agreement with it.

I guess I am in rare company when I say I am ready for them to pump the brakes. šŸ˜³ Every year, they take a steaming hot shit on the buyers of the previous year model.

Yes, the manual should have been first.

Maybe they should build a Supra EV. They could call it a Suprius...lol.

Kiske

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1988 FC3S, 2015 Evo X FE, 2018 tS, 2021 A90 3.0
I agree with a lot of what everyone saying but a lot of people didnā€™t think they would put the time and effort into the manual and they did. I think they almost have to if they plan to keep the car relevant longer than 2 more years on the market,
The cries for a manual were far louder than the 10 of us wanting a removable top.

MoTeC_R

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 A90 & 2022 A91-CF
I think youā€™d be surprised. I know if they do make a removable top, Iā€™ll have one in my garage.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Toyota is already in the process of developing a new sports car. They are not investing heavily in the MK5.

JTN

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nitro Yellow
I currently own a convertible that I'm ditching for a Supra. Honestly the last thing I want is another convertible (or removable roof).

It might just be because I've owned a few convertibles for long stretches of time in a part of the country where you can really only drop the top for about four weeks out of the whole year because it is either too cold, raining, or way too hot, the allure of an open top has sort of gone sour for me.

Michael-Dallas

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 4Runner
Iā€™m not confident for a sport roof because of a couple of things: a) crash testing, b) storage of the roof.

MoTeC_R

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 A90 & 2022 A91-CF
Iā€™m not confident for a sport roof because of a couple of things: a) crash testing, b) storage of the roof.
I had an S2000 up until recently and my hard top didnā€™t store in the car either, you store it in the garage. Crash testing all they need to do is add a roll bar behind the seats. The S2000 also only had a roll bar behind the seats; no roof.

LateBraker5

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0 Premium
I currently own a convertible that I'm ditching for a Supra. Honestly the last thing I want is another convertible (or removable roof).

It might just be because I've owned a few convertibles for long stretches of time in a part of the country where you can really only drop the top for about four weeks out of the whole year because it is either too cold, raining, or way too hot, the allure of an open top has sort of gone sour for me.
Iā€™m the same way, owned a S2000 for many years and running a convertible in Seattle just wore on me.

For the 2 weeks of perfect weather, you have to deal with heat, cold, rain, noise, you name it. Also was in constant fear of the potential of people slashing my top to steal the seats, smh

Janice

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'17 BRZ
Iā€™m the same way, owned a S2000 for many years and running a convertible in Seattle just wore on me.

For the 2 weeks of perfect weather, you have to deal with heat, cold, rain, noise, you name it. Also was in constant fear of the potential of people slashing my top to steal the seats, smh
Same, owned two S2Ks and immediately put a Mugen hardtop on them and never took it off. In sunny socal.

Lolol, I was also paranoid about my seats and top too. My sidemarkers and S2000 badges were stolen every few months. I got some 1 of 1 security bolts for the seats and a locking hardtop top mechanism, but couldn't figure out how to secure the rest.

LateBraker5

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0 Premium
Same, owned two S2Ks and immediately put a Mugen hardtop on them and never took it off. In sunny socal.

Lolol, I was also paranoid about my seats and top too. My sidemarkers and S2000 badges were stolen every few months. I got some 1 of 1 security bolts for the seats and a locking hardtop top mechanism, but couldn't figure out how to secure the rest.
LOL, that paranoia about the seat is real! Read too many stories of people's seats getting ripped out and insurance couldn't replace them and cars having salvage titles because of that.

If I remember correctly, hardtops were also stupid expensive too. I loved that car, but I'm glad I moved on.

Jackyl tm

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Edition, C230, Mazda Protege
the concept already exists, and it would fix the wind buffeting issue lol
Concept doesn't mean that it works. There would be so much more testing necessary. Even without all that, people are forgetting about the contract between the two.

MoTeC_R

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 A90 & 2022 A91-CF
Concept doesn't mean that it works. There would be so much more testing necessary. Even without all that, people are forgetting about the contract between the two.
Anyone here could be right. What else keeps the Supra ā€œbuzzā€ going for the next couple years if no targa model?
Sponsored