A90 Supra life cycle: Incremental updates? New variants coming? What's next?

Kujiwara

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra AT Stratosphere, GLI32, SVT Cobra
How I think about it is, what's the worthy update for every year till the 2026 end of production. Toyota did state they want to sell the same number of supras every year so that implies updates every year and they basically have been doing that.

Now this year MT is considered a large update and makes sense that it can sell for 3-4 more years to recover some of the dev cost.
2023-2024: I predict either targa top OR a facelift with some influence from LCI G chassis parts bin, both can trigger more sales. Another possibility is minimal change similar to 2021 model with a cheesy A91-xx, since MT is in high demand still.

2024-2025: 48V system potentially, some countries have updated emissions requirement this year. If GRMN aka S58 variant is a go, this would be the year, since it needs some corporation from BMW, and they'll gladly take the extra money from Toyota, but BMW won't be giving up the S58 to Toyota till at least they sell it for a few years, this is also when I expect BMW to have a 48V system added to their S58.

2025-2026: Targa top if we are optimistic, not an expensive change from Toyota's end, car doesn't have to score well in side crash test. And a manually detachable roof is pretty easy from an engineer's POV. If we aren't so optimistic then some cheesy A91 limited edition again. There could be the case of S58 in the last year but unlikely IMO because the development cost will be high for a one year only model but not impossible.
Sponsored

YellowJackit

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 MINI Clubman, 2023 BM X3, 2022 GR Supra
I hope they table that GRMN model. All the folks "in the know" suggest that it will start around $80k.

Who's buying that over an M2? 🤔

For the GRMN to work in the states, it just might need a Lexus badge on it.

JST

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'06 Subaru LGT, '21 CX-5 Sig, '22 Supra 3.0
I for see nothing but suspension changes, different wheels, new colors (inside and out) and maybe a power bump by 10hp/10tq by computer change to say the newer car is better than the previous.

Recession is here, the joint project is halfway over, and I am assuming like many the car is done the same time as the Z4.
Unfortunately, this seems like the most likely scenario to me as well. I think we have seen the biggest "reveal" with the introduction of the MT.

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
I hope they table that GRMN model. All the folks "in the know" suggest that it will start around $80k.

Who's buying that over an M2? 🤔

For the GRMN to work in the states, it just might need a Lexus badge on it.
The GRMN will be hardcore compared to the M2

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
GRMN anything won’t see US shores….never has, never will. This was exclusive to European market, before the MKV Supra.

Development efforts for the remainder of the A9x chassis will be incremental (think R35 GTR). There is a new car in the works….a few “fugly” mules hanging out at Motomachi :thumbsup:.

Jackyl tm

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Edition, C230, Mazda Protege
Toyota has said I thought before, they want to smake small changes every year and every year will have a limited edition A91 moniker.
Next year could see open vents and more fine tuning of the manual trans.
24-more suspension tuning and over all tuning.
25-updated interior design tuning and some kind of high end a91 edition.

I used to think they'd add the s58, but with the importance of weight distribution I don't think they will. Maybe a slightly larger turbo and more tuning and that will be the end.

I base this only off of Toyota and how they've handled things thus far. And also experience working in their manufacturing the slight changes they make yoy.

I do think there will be a new Gen supra, but it'll be all electric and share platform with the new Lexus.

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
GRMN anything won’t see US shores….never has, never will. This was exclusive to European market, before the MKV Supra.

Development efforts for the remainder of the A9x chassis will be incremental (think R35 GTR). There is a new car in the works….a few “fugly” mules hanging out at Motomachi :thumbsup:.
At least we know the Supra will be around for 10 years /s

C-Pike

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Are there any pics or vids?

PikkaGTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Zupra
Weight reduction
Weight loss please it doesn't need more power
GR brake kit upgrade 2 piece rotors up front
Carbon drive shaft
Carbon roof
Li ion battery
Bucket seats
Titanium GR exhaust
Call it the GR Supra track edition or whatever
Forged wheels
Very possible to shave off at least 120-150 lbs from the car
70$k 3199 lb GR Supra Track edition

PikkaGTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Zupra
Aren't you all about weight reduction? lol.
Yes less weight does more for a car than more power
Brakes better, better fuel economy, tires last longer, handles better , improves acceleration
400 lbs lighter A90 stock power or 600 horse power stock weight
No brainer choice for me

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Yes less weight does more for a car than more power
Brakes better, better fuel economy, tires last longer, handles better , improves acceleration
400 lbs lighter A90 stock power or 600 horse power stock weight
No brainer choice for me
Yes, I know. I'm all about weight reduction, but you also added a CF driveshaft to your list. Which is 2lbs heavier than the stock, and it's rotating. CF Driveshafts are almost always heavier, but are stronger and don't break around the 1000hp mark.

PikkaGTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Zupra
Yes, I know. I'm all about weight reduction, but you also added a CF driveshaft to your list. Which is 2lbs heavier than the stock, and it's rotating. CF Driveshafts are almost always heavier, but are stronger and don't break around the 1000hp mark.
Driveshaft shop A90 CF driveshaft advertised to be 1/2 weight of oem drive shaft
I'm sure BMW can make a better , stronger and lighter weight CF driveshaft
The early F80s had them

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Driveshaft shop A90 CF driveshaft advertised to be 1/2 weight of oem drive shaft
I'm sure BMW can make a better , stronger and lighter weight CF driveshaft
The early F80s had them
I have then both laying around. I can toss 'em on the scale again. But it is not lighter.
Sponsored