A90 Supra life cycle: Incremental updates? New variants coming? What's next?

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
img_9378.jpg

There is a possibility that we will update the cars performance first (2022) then we will work on shape or design of the car (2023). From there, go back to performance again (2024). We want to do both at the same time, but if we change the design all the time, it makes the previous design old and we arenā€™t fans of that. We didnā€™t want to change the design too quickly. We wanted to make sure that if an aftermarket aero kit comes out, we give enough time in between to give owner options before changing the design again.
2022: GRMN?
2023: Facelift?
2024: GRMN Track Edition?
2025: GR Supra Super Sport?

Hakkim23

First Name
Basith
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2002 Toyota Camry
I would really like to see what GRMN has in store for the Supra especially a more performance oriented model
But most importantly there is room for improvement for the base model as well and even the base model is very good
Before I go on to say that the new Supra needs a manual transmission, I really need to take one for a test drive well maybe once all this settles down given the current situation but I want to see what the ZF 8-speed auto is like because it is like the best torque converter automatics on the market
And either way it would still be nice for the new Supra to get a manual gearbox because it makes sense as a sports car and I would it would suit it very well and really it just has an engaging experience that many automatics can't really seem to capture even DCTs still can't really capture that engaging experience when you throw in the gears!
Hopefully with BMW, getting a manual gearbox for the new Supra shouldn't be a huge deal but if Toyota can make a better manual gearbox then that would be wonderful!
And I'm sure that people will definitely buy the Supra with the manual transmission so definitely that will add more sales!

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
I would really like to see what GRMN has in store for the Supra especially a more performance oriented model
But most importantly there is room for improvement for the base model as well and even the base model is very good
Before I go on to say that the new Supra needs a manual transmission, I really need to take one for a test drive well maybe once all this settles down given the current situation but I want to see what the ZF 8-speed auto is like because it is like the best torque converter automatics on the market
And either way it would still be nice for the new Supra to get a manual gearbox because it makes sense as a sports car and I would it would suit it very well and really it just has an engaging experience that many automatics can't really seem to capture even DCTs still can't really capture that engaging experience when you throw in the gears!
Hopefully with BMW, getting a manual gearbox for the new Supra shouldn't be a huge deal but if Toyota can make a better manual gearbox then that would be wonderful!
And I'm sure that people will definitely buy the Supra with the manual transmission so definitely that will add more sales!
I disagree somewhat. DCT/Auto sales VASTLY outnumber manual sales. The C7 Corvette only like 27% bought a manual. And if you didn't offer a manual, most of those 27% would still buy an Auto before buying a different car. So not offering a manual costs them 10% in sales, maybe. I doubt it's even that much. The ZF is as good as a DCT. If you're not a professional driver, you won't even notice the difference. Go drive one. It's great.

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
I disagree somewhat. DCT/Auto sales VASTLY outnumber manual sales. The C7 Corvette only like 27% bought a manual. And if you didn't offer a manual, most of those 27% would still buy an Auto before buying a different car. So not offering a manual costs them 10% in sales, maybe. I doubt it's even that much. The ZF is as good as a DCT. If you're not a professional driver, you won't even notice the difference. Go drive one. It's great.
I agree ^^^^
I prefer an auto these days. Test drive one out before you knock A90ā€™s auto. I had several friends that ran their Mouths about the A90 auto but has never ever even driven one in their life. I mean come on.

solidsamir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sold
I have a feeling the refresh will be a much better car. Last I remember they were rushing the Supra release before emissions laws got stricter. The refresh might just be the car they really wanted to put out.

Islindur

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Had:Yellow 2l Have: Red 3l
I agree manual wouldnt sell. But I think they should have offered one just for the hype and PR.

I disagree with 2nd part. U dont need to be racecar driver to notice this ZF is not as fast as Porsche PDK or Ferrari Getrag's. Dual clutches are just faster, thats why they are used in race cars/supercars. Still, this 8ZF its plenty fast enough for 99% of people. I was amazed how good this gearbox is in a daily use, in fact the lack of manual stopped to bother me. What I would want from it is more brutal up-shifts just for the sensation, its soooo smooth.

Hakkim23

First Name
Basith
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2002 Toyota Camry
In a way you're right but look at cars like the Mustang and Cayman for example more than 50% of their buyers still buy them with the manual transmission so then we may see that take rate for the GR Supra but then it depends

Islindur

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
In a way you're right but look at cars like the Mustang and Cayman for example more than 50% of their buyers still buy them with the manual transmission so then we may see that take rate for the GR Supra but then it depends
Out of all 718 (Cayman + Boxster) for sale here used, only 15% are in manual. BMW M2? 10%. Mustang is better coz 30% are in manual, rest also auto. Over half of used GT86 are in auto too. So, yeah.... I wouldnt hope for it, will be nice suprise for sure but...

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
Out of all 718 (Cayman + Boxster) for sale here used, only 15% are in manual. BMW M2? 10%. Mustang is better coz 30% are in manual, rest also auto. Over half of used GT86 are in auto too. So, yeah.... I wouldnt hope for it, will be nice suprise for sure but...
Italics bold emphasis mine.

This sounds a lot more like the buyers who got these models new with a manual transmission are overwhelmingly keeping their cars longer than buyers of the same cars that were originally bought with automatics who tend to get bored with their purchases sooner and more on to another car purchase in faster cycles.

And this makes sense actually.

Islindur

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Italics bold emphasis mine.

This sounds a lot more like the buyers who got these models new with a manual transmission are overwhelmingly keeping their cars longer than buyers of the same cars that were originally bought with automatics who tend to get bored with their purchases sooner and more on to another car purchase in faster cycles.

And this makes sense actually.
So majority is sold in auto anyways, nvm the reasons ;)
I looked at 86 since 2012, and still half are autos, same for 370Z, over half auto... I doubt sum1 keeps manual 370 for 10years.
They just dont sell, sadly :(

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
So majority is sold in auto anyways, nvm the reasons ;)
I looked at 86 since 2012, and still half are autos, same for 370Z, over half auto... I doubt sum1 keeps manual 370 for 10years.
They just dont sell, sadly :(
So it depends on the model type and its appeal as to whether a manual still has a notable following or not.

86, BMW M2 & M3/M4, Mustang GT, WRX/STI, Miata/MX-5, various Porsche Cayman and 911 notably. Canā€™t really gauge the 370Z for now as it is so old at this point.

I actually would believe that some buyers of these cars (new purchases) will keep their manual cars for ten years give or take.

Almost all other manual cars save the Veloster N and some Honda Civic Siā€™s and the Civic Type R, are well into a decline, yes.

But theyā€™re still being offered in the right niche models for now until emissions and fuel economy requirements fully kill the last sporty manual offerings off in a few years.

There will soon be a brand new 7-speed manual Ford Bronco and a new 6-speed manual in the Corolla GRMN.

Manuals are all but completely niche and limited only to specialty cars at this point but they still sell in decent enough numbers to the right buyers in the right models for the time being.

Lack of much disposable income for most people in a difficult economy at current time probably has more to do with why the manual take rate overall is as low as it currently is.

Manuals in special models have a few more years left. Not forever. Just a few more.

Last edited:

Islindur

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
So it depends on the model type and its appeal as to whether a manual still has a notable following or not.

86, BMW M2 & M3/M4, Mustang GT, WRX/STI, Miata/MX-5, various Porsche Cayman and 911 notably. Canā€™t really gauge the 370Z for now as it is so old at this point.

I actually would believe that some buyers of these cars (New purchaes) will keep their
They may do indeed but still, they are minority, I would argue its few % that buy manual performance car and keep it for loooong.
I'm guilty too honestly. I wanna change the car early next year and 99% I'm gonna buy Supra and I dont think I wanna wait another 1.5year for manual to MAYBE be aviable. The auto they put in it is so good that even me, manual 86 owner, am going to go for auto probably..
And I plan to mod the hell out of it and keep it for ~7years :>

Last edited:

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
They may do indeed but still, they are minority, I would argue its few % that buy manual performance car and keep it for loooong.
I'm guilty too honestly, 99% I'm gonna buy Supra early next year and I dont think I wanna wait another 1.5year for manual to MAYBE be aviable. The auto they put in it is so good that even me, manual 86 owner, am going to go for auto probably..
And I plan to mod the hell out of it and keep it for ~7years :>
Going on ten years now with my current manual performance car. Still plan on keeping it for a long, long, long time yet.

But I plan to add a new other car alongside it and whatever that will be must be a factory manual vehicle no matter how good any auto-only competitor car is otherwise. That is until there are no more new manual cars on offer at all. And then I will likely keep that for a long, long time as well.

Ultimately youā€™ve got to get what makes you happy! The Supra 3.0L is a great car as-is with loads of potential and that ZF8 auto is certainly very good with good programming. If the car truly wins you over and will make you happy to own and modify it as you like then by all means go for it. Cars like these are about the choice that most accurately reflects your personal tastes and passion in the vehicle youā€™d most like! : )

For me though if the A90 has no manual edition available it will be sad but not for long as there are any of the other factory manual competition to choose from.

Manuals will be truly gone anyway once hybrids and full electrics aggressively change available driveline options across whole manufacturer lineups in a few years so Iā€™m fine insisting on and demanding a good manual transmission car in the interim. And at current time there are plenty of good options to choose from.

But certainly you will not go wrong if you get yourself into a new Supra 3.0 with its ZF8 auto. My mind isnā€™t changing on my own insistence on another manual transmission car for myself but thatā€™s just me... and it doesnā€™t change the fact that the A90 3.0 is a very good sportscar!

Islindur

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
400Z on the horizon too... ;) Wonder what will they show...

Honestly main reason for auto is track performance for me - auto will just be faster, period. And when Im on the track I do care for every 0.5s I can cut down and be better than competition.
Sponsored