A90 Transmission Potential

T56283

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2034 Toyota Celica
I'm not finding a lot yet on the specifics of this new transmission and what sort of horsepower and toque limits it might have. I think the B58 variant going in the new Supra will be a solid motor but I'm not finding the same wealth of information on the transmission but maybe someone here knows more.
Sponsored

Last edited:

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sold Launch Edition Supra #445
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not finding a lot yet on the specifics of this new transmission and what sort of horsepower and toque limits it might have. I think the B58 variant going in the new Supra will be a solid motor but I'm not finding the same wealth of information on the transmission but maybe somewhere here knows more.
It is a Zf8HP. Probably the most ubiquitous transmission in the world. It’s tough, but it depends on which variant is being used in the car.

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
The Supra should be using the latest revision of the ZF 8HP50, which is technically the version that is rated to 500NM of torque, which is (suprise, surprise) 369lbft of torque, aka the exact number that the B58 is rated to lol. Does that mean that the trans will explode on a cool day when the engine makes 370lbft? No, of course not, the ratings themselves are somewhat arbitrary at this point and are used to distinguish between the model ranges.

I have read that the code on the Supra trans is 8HP51, which might signify the revision model, but I'm not sure. Either way, it's a torque converter automatic, so it should do fine with a little power bump. Other BMW guys seem to be pushing 400-430lbft through their cars with a TCU flash to boost line pressure, and nobody has had issues yet. The 8HP is a fairly modular design so I'm sure there will be a relatively straightforward upgrade path for it as well.

My interest is in the 8HP's hybrid motor integration. Would be very cool to see an aftermarket solution to adding in hybrid power to the Supra, but that's quite a lofty goal.

McWicked

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stutz Bearcat
Vehicle Showcase
My interest is in the 8HP's hybrid motor integration. Would be very cool to see an aftermarket solution to adding in hybrid power to the Supra, but that's quite a lofty goal.
I'd definitely click on the Supra Hybrid Build Thread :p

"I need a little help. Does anyone know how to completely disable the regenerative breaking feature on the Prius C ECM? It's the Denso 9990 if that helps. Thanks!"

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
Two things to note

- A planetary gearset is inherently strong by design that a spur gear arrangement
- The V160 and T56 are only rated to 450NM

Source: I work in the aftermarket sequential transmission industry. We will aim to deliver the first sequential Transmission kit for the A90 in the world.

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sold Launch Edition Supra #445
Vehicle Showcase
Two things to note

- A planetary gearset is inherently strong by design that a spur gear arrangement

Source: I work in the aftermarket sequential transmission industry. We will aim to deliver the first sequential Transmission kit for the A90 in the world.
Do you work for Holinger?

McWicked

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stutz Bearcat
Vehicle Showcase
Holy Crap! Now THAT would be fun...
roo-roo-roo-wurrrrr *BANG* wuurrRRRR *BANG* WUURRRRRRRRR!!!! *BANG* VROO-VROOO-VROOOOM!!!
Hell, I wouldn't even go anywhere. Just sit in the garage making the sound effects.

tisdrew

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW 335i, Kouki s14
Vehicle Showcase

Illsic_Design

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
E92 335i N54, 4G63T Mighty Max
Let's just say that the 6hp21(rated for 332 ft lb) in my 09 335i is still going pretty well at 182k with 440 ft lbs running through it. ZF transmissions are pretty strong, and the newer 8HP's are only better then the previous 6hp's.

Bflood

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
3.0 Premium
Two things to note

It's been a couple years now, have you got any more info on this?