A91 & Recent 2021 Impossible to Tune / ECU manufactured after 2020/6 is locked? [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

ViscontiSupport

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
** EMERGENCY POST **

We were asked not to talk about it, but it’ll end up going public soon anyways.

Upon earlier this week, we received our first A91 (that i know of in the world) to be tuned. Sending his ECU in to us to be unlocked, we came across some information thats never been seen before.

Bosch has changed the security systems on MG1 ECU’s. This means there is currently absolutely no way to tune the car. No bench flash. Nothing.

We’re currently working on getting one open to try and find a resolution around all of this. ALL A91’s are this way and possibly any other 2021 that left the docks around the same time frame as they did.

We’ll post more information about this when we know more and are given permission to do so.

Thanks

- Marshall at Visconti Tuning

Tsar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Damn... wonder if that’s what they were being held up for, some software update like that.

Last edited:

Spiguyver

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Car(s)
2021 A91 Edition Refraction Blue
This is really a bummer, and while I suspect you'll find a way to unlock and tune it, the uncertainty sucks. This makes me question whether I continue to wait for mine to be delivered, or I move on to an earlier 2021, or even take the savings on a 2020 still on a lot. Man, wish they would just leave it alone!

Spiguyver

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Car(s)
2021 A91 Edition Refraction Blue
Damn... wonder if that’s what they were being help up for, some software update like that.
Yeah, that's another good question, if you have a tune and take it in for service will they do a software update that kills your tune?

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
So Tada was just talking about simple mods when he was referring to "tuner friendly"?

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
2020 A90’s and early 21’s value just went up. Looking at the next 3-5 years, if Toyota keeps doing this, 2020’s will hold their value pretty well.
You have that backwards. Modded cars are worth less than stock ones. Buyers are always more wary with modded cars. How often do you see that mods devalue cars. Look at auctions now for 90's cars that were never molested, they're worth sometimes double, if not triple.

Supra CRNA

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra GR, 2006 Mitsu Lancer Evo 9 RS
You have that backwards. Modded cars are worth less than stock ones. Buyers are always more wary with modded cars. How often do you see that mods devalue cars. Look at auctions now for 90's cars that were never molested, they're worth sometimes double, if not triple.
Backwards? I was referring to the point of this thread, which Marshall pointed out... A91's/2021 A90's cannot be tuned, therefore currently lack the upward potential 2020's and early 2021's have, stock or not. Never said what that meant for the value of A91's. Don't get mad at me bro, Toyota is locking these DME's not me.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Backwards? I was referring to the point of this thread, which Marshall pointed out... A91's/2021 A90's cannot be tuned, therefore currently lack the upward potential 2020's and early 2021's have, stock or not. Never said what that meant for the value of A91's. Don't get mad at me bro, Toyota is locking these DME's not me.
Lol I'm not mad. Wasn't tuning mine anyways.

Supra CRNA

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra GR, 2006 Mitsu Lancer Evo 9 RS
Lol I'm not mad. Wasn't tuning mine anyways.
TBH, I was thinking about trading her in for the A91. Love that blue bro. I am sure tuners will be able to crack these ECU's no problem in the near future.

Octane

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Supra
I'm curious if theres any chance it's just a few specific a91's or if this is the same for all of them.

Seems kind of odd to me that they would change this... especially with Tada encouraging companies to come out with modifications for the Supra.

Tsar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
So Tada was just talking about simple mods when he was referring to "tuner friendly"?
Yea I found those statements funny after reading this thread. Tuner blah blah great but we are gonna lock it down so you can’t change anything lol