A91 & Recent 2021 Impossible to Tune / ECU manufactured after 2020/6 is locked? [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
They do unlock but only will install their tune. Dme will remain locked for any type of obd2 flashing. They do warranty it like a new car though so I guess there are ups and downs to it. Also if they unlocked it and can flash its just a matter of time.
I guess we will have to see if anyone here with a post-6/20 ECU tries it out.

ijrebuck

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance
I've been monitoring this thread daily. Good to see some potential news. Does this work for the A91 LEs? Or just the 2021 MYs with the later ecu dates?

Thanks for the update

Nope

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra
I've got a funny feeling the solution to this tuning problem is gonna end up being similar to the solution Mopar tuners came up with.

I believe (I could be wrong) that FCA uses a dealer specific 2, or maybe even 3-step verification process to unlock the ECU, probably an algorithm based on VIN, mileage, or some combination of both .

MFG's fully and permanently locking ECU's makes zero sense, because dealerships still need to be able to access and re-tune vehicles for potential recalls. Such as jeeps recall for the GC shifter handles, And to do that on the locked ECU's they use a web browser based diagnostic app that needs an active internet connection to upload to it. Pretty sure they are both BOSCH ECU's as well being a primarily Mercedes based platform.

Maybe it would be worth while to contact some companies like Diablosport? Find out what they did to work around the problem? I know EVERY Mopar ECU post 2015 needs to be sent out for a "bench Unlock/modification" prior to tuning. Just my two cents

I'm considering purchasing a MY21 Supra in the next six months but would really like the peace of mind knowing that I can get the most bang for my buck, IE: being able to tune it.

Last edited:

Ultimateone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AW A90
The teams behind the best tuning platforms like MHD, BM3 and Ecutek are all talking to the smartest people and companies trying to find a solution. It just takes time and this is what things are going to look like as time goes on.

OP
OP
ViscontiSupport

ViscontiSupport

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
looks like it can be unlocked right??

498EB520-CBB2-48B3-9E38-EF7FAFD925EE.jpeg
I believe that looks like 3/16/20? If so, yep! You're good to go!

Let me know if I can help!

We're running a Christmas special until January 1st for free tuning with the purchase of EcuTek!

Discounted unlocks with the purchase of EcuTek!

Happy to help if you have any questions.

JimmyA91

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Soon & 2018 Ram
I believe that looks like 3/16/20? If so, yep! You're good to go!

Let me know if I can help!

We're running a Christmas special until January 1st for free tuning with the purchase of EcuTek!

Discounted unlocks with the purchase of EcuTek!

Happy to help if you have any questions.
Best way to chat?

OP
OP
ViscontiSupport

ViscontiSupport

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra

PJohal209

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue
I've been monitoring this thread daily. Good to see some potential news. Does this work for the A91 LEs? Or just the 2021 MYs with the later ecu dates?

Thanks for the update
No such thing as an A91 LE. 21 Supras can be unlocked after a bench unlock. The A91 special editions cannot, yet...

OP
OP
ViscontiSupport

ViscontiSupport

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
No such thing as an A91 LE. 21 Supras can be unlocked after a bench unlock. The A91 special editions cannot, yet...
This isnt all correct information.

Correct ... no such thing as an A91 LE. You have an A90 thats a LE and an A91 Edition .... 2 different things.

Incorrect ... A91's can be tuned depending on the ECU date. We've tuned multiple A91s that had an ECU date in May.