A91 & Recent 2021 Impossible to Tune / ECU manufactured after 2020/6 is locked? [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

LadeBackk

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
If anyone is interested I am going to be installing the AC Schnitzer performance upgrade on my car next week. The tune is not posted on the site but it’s for the M440i engine with 382hp. Not exactly sure what the dyno numbers will be but the graph that they sent me from AC Schnitzer was showing 50hp gains on a M440xi with all wheel drive. I’m thinking it should give about 65hp with RWD for the Supra. Oh, and it’s not cheap but I figured it’s the only true safe option out there. I’ll update you guys after I install and let you know. I will also be adding the Remus exhaust next week. When I get a chance I’ll do a dyno and get exact figures. Thinking somewhere around 450whp and 500 crank hp
Update on the tune:

So I got the car tuned by AC Schnitzer in Miami last week. Sorry for the delays. In addition to the performance upgrade, I added the BMC air filter and Remus exhaust. All I can say is I am extremely happy with the end result. The car is night and day, sounds so much better, not too obnoxiously loud, but just right. Remus makes the best exhaust IMO.... and AC Schnitzer makes top quality stuff as well with the OEM Look. They also hard wire it into the ECU while keeping everything hidden. If you have to go to the dealer for any work, the performance upgrade will not be affected by any changes or upgrades that the dealer might do to the ECU. It’s a separate unit and the warranty is not void. The car is super quick with the performance upgrade and you can hear the turbo spool up now just by using a BMC air filter for $69 and keep the factory look under the hood. Above 3000 RPM the car is a rocket. There’s no way to explain it LOL. Best part is that it just feels like a brand new car, but better. I trust any tune from AC Schnitzer as they have been tuning BMWs for 50 years. We have a BMW engine so it only makes sense. The remus Exhaust is also a great addition to this car. Looks factory, slightly larger tips, and the build quality is amazing. I also added the AC Schnitzer front lip and it fits the car perfectly. Looks like it should’ve been there from the factory. You will notice the engine cover is different as well.... :)
Here are some pics:

Attachments

ijrebuck

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Update on the tune:

So I got the car tuned by AC Schnitzer in Miami last week. Sorry for the delays. In addition to the performance upgrade, I added the BMC air filter and Remus exhaust. All I can say is I am extremely happy with the end result. The car is night and day, sounds so much better, not too obnoxiously loud, but just right. Remus makes the best exhaust IMO.... and AC Schnitzer makes top quality stuff as well with the OEM Look. They also hard wire it into the ECU while keeping everything hidden. If you have to go to the dealer for any work, the performance upgrade will not be affected by any changes or upgrades that the dealer might do to the ECU. It’s a separate unit and the warranty is not void. The car is super quick with the performance upgrade and you can hear the turbo spool up now just by using a BMC air filter for $69 and keep the factory look under the hood. Above 3000 RPM the car is a rocket. There’s no way to explain it LOL. Best part is that it just feels like a brand new car, but better. I trust any tune from AC Schnitzer as they have been tuning BMWs for 50 years. We have a BMW engine so it only makes sense. The remus Exhaust is also a great addition to this car. Looks factory, slightly larger tips, and the build quality is amazing. I also added the AC Schnitzer front lip and it fits the car perfectly. Looks like it should’ve been there from the factory. You will notice the engine cover is different as well.... :)
Here are some pics:
Did you have an untunable ecu? What date did you have? I'm assuming they didn't put it on a dyno or youd have numbers. Also how much was it? I'm very interested

NewGuy

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra 3.0 Premium,18 X5 M

freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 a91 edition Supra 2016 Lexus rc f BMW 435I

ijrebuck

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
oof. that much money for just a tune? i can't swing that. a lot of upgrades can be had for that much and a jb4 unless theyre including all of that bodywork too

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
oof. that much money for just a tune? i can't swing that. a lot of upgrades can be had for that much and a jb4 unless theyre including all of that bodywork too
Please tell me that $7K price tag is in Yen. Holy smokes. ?

-RJM

LadeBackk

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Just to clarify: I have a 2021 that’s locked which is one of the reasons I went with the AC Schnitzer tune. The other reason is well, AC Schnitzer is top of the line stuff and I trust it, and I used to own a lot of BMWs and loved the idea of having their tune in the Supra.

If anyone wants some numbers and dyno charts for this one, you need to refer to the m340xi tune because that’s the same engine that the 2021 Supra has. That’s the tune I have (it’s technically not posted anywhere publicly on the AC Schnitzer site for the Supra yet, and as far as I know, I’m the only one running this tune on the 2021. Here is the link for dynos and graphs. Keep in mind that the 340xi is all wheel drive showing 50hp gains, so I’m just guessing it’s about 65hp for RWD because of less power loss in the driveline. And yeah, I paid $7000 LOL.... yes it sucks, but it’s also done very nicely under the hood and I don’t have to second guess the reliability. It is what it is.
Keep in mind that BMW shows 420hp for the 340xi which is AWD. If you have intake, tune and exhaust for RWD (Supra) I’m thinking closer to 450whp and 440 torque. Crank probably putting down around 500hp. https://www.acschnitzer-us.com/ac-schnitzer-performance-upgrade-for-m340i-xdrive-g20-/p4156

Last edited:

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
Just to clarify: I have a 2021 that’s locked which is one of the reasons I went with the AC Schnitzer tune. The other reason is well, AC Schnitzer is top of the line stuff and I trust it, and I used to own a lot of BMWs and loved the idea of having their tune in the Supra.

If anyone wants some numbers and dyno charts for this one, you need to refer to the m340xi tune because that’s the same engine that the 2021 Supra has. That’s the tune I have (it’s technically not posted anywhere publicly on the AC Schnitzer site for the Supra yet, and as far as I know, I’m the only one running this tune on the 2021. Here is the link for synod and graphs. Keep in mind that the 340xi is all wheel drive showing 50hp gains, so I’m just guessing it’s about 65hp for RWD because of less power loss in the driveline. And yeah, I paid $7000 LOL.... yes it sucks, but it’s also done very nicely under the hood and I don’t have to second guess the reliability. It is what it is.
Keep in mind that BMW shows 420hp for the 340xi which is AWD. If you have intake, tune and exhaust for RWD (Supra) I’m thinking closer to 450whp and 440 torque. Crank probably putting down around 500hp. https://www.acschnitzer-us.com/ac-schnitzer-performance-upgrade-for-m340i-xdrive-g20-/p4156
At the end of the day its the smile this car gives us. Regardless of what we are paying for mods lets keep mashing that pedal and having fun.

-RJM

Last edited:

ijrebuck

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

If anyone wants some numbers and dyno charts for this one, you need to refer to the m340xi tune because that’s the same engine that the 2021 Supra has. That’s the tune I have (it’s technically not posted anywhere publicly on the AC Schnitzer site for the Supra yet, and as far as I know, I’m the only one running this tune on the 2021. Here is the link for dynos and graphs. Keep in mind that the 340xi is all wheel drive showing 50hp gains, so I’m just guessing it’s about 65hp for RWD because of less power loss in the driveline. And yeah, I paid $7000 LOL.... yes it sucks, but it’s also done very nicely under the hood and I don’t have to second guess the reliability. It is what it is.
please let us know when you hop on a dyno! looking forward to seeing your results

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium
At the end of the day its the smile this car gives us. Regardless of what we are paying for mods lets keep mashing that peddle and having fun.

-RJM
Agreed.

Though I do find it interesting to see where folks go with their own personal power bump - from a JB+ to Pure800 turbo swaps with blended fuels - while some keep it bone stock.

I bought this car with the initial mindset of a few mods. My previous car, a BRZ, was purchase new as well with the intention of supercharging from day one and I did just that a few months after ownership and learning the platform with mild mods along the way.

Regarding additional power, I have a '20 with a tunable ECU but have no plans on tuning it (...yet.) We all love a little extra power, so who knows. Maybe it's because coming from a BRZ, I feel like the A90/A91 has plenty of power already. Granted, I probably wouldn't be saying this if I were coming from a 911 Turbo or GTR instead.

I also plan on replacing the PSS with A/S 3+ soon, so adding more power would only handicap me into unnecessary tire spin. :dunno:

Last edited:

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2021 Toyota Sienna
Jeez. 7k? I'll pass. If they never unlock the ECU on this car. So be it. I'll just have to be fast without the additional power.

Kiske

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1988 FC3S, 2015 Evo X FE, 2018 tS, 2021 A90 3.0
So what exactly did you get for the money? What was installed? A pre-tuned piggyback ecu spliced into the harness?

bigcat

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Last edited:

LadeBackk

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
So what exactly did you get for the money? What was installed? A pre-tuned piggyback ecu spliced into the harness?
You guys have to look to the m440i ACScnitzer tune as the 2021 Supra has a different engine than the 2020 and it’s not posted under the Supra page on their website yet. You get a stand-alone ECU piggyback. The install is clean and looks amazing under the hood. No wires to be seen. No iPhones or apps. The most solid tune you can get IMO for the 2021. People can say JB4 is cheaper but I trust the tuners at AC Schnitzer over the JB4. Just my thoughts... the tune focuses more on torque than HP. You feel it