A91 & Recent 2021 Impossible to Tune / ECU manufactured after 2020/6 is locked? [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

vrwm

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 MKV
Hi there
regarding Supra 2020 manufactured on March 2020 is it possible to be locked!!
You should be able to get tuned. The only reason it wouldn’t be able to is if the ecu was replaced. It might need a bench unlock though. I would also pull the ecu just to be 100% sure.

Ahmad89

First Name
Ahmad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra A90
You should be able to get tuned. The only reason it wouldn’t be able to is if the ecu was replaced. It might need a bench unlock though. I would also pull the ecu just to be 100% sure.

thanks for reply and reference. car on the dealership. it is impossible to go and check this data

delita1

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Z4 M40i, 2021 Rubicon Unlimited
there are some old posts on the "official" forum (link below) but everything in the Supra section of the "B58/B48" thread is pretty current. Most of the folks that post logs and ask the questions, have NEVER attempted to tune a car. Posting logs are a form of "shortcut" for people who don't have access to a real Dyno. The more "seasoned" folks have done some homework and have a little experience so they read their own logs and make adjustments accordingly......

https://www.n54tech.com/forums/
Oh yeah, no doubt I came in as a newbie to tuning. I have a shop I work with and they are installers and have done JB4 installs before but they definitely are pro's in the sense that they are going to sit there with me and help with my logs. Kind of on my own there. Another reason why I'd much rather work with a tuner well versed in EcuTek that will help ensure everything is running properly and I'm making the most performance for my $. Harder to do that with a JB4. I literally check this forum and a couple of BMW forums daily waiting for someone to say the ECU has been cracked Lol.

DatBassTho

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ram 1500
Oh yeah, no doubt I came in as a newbie to tuning. I have a shop I work with and they are installers and have done JB4 installs before but they definitely are pro's in the sense that they are going to sit there with me and help with my logs. Kind of on my own there. Another reason why I'd much rather work with a tuner well versed in EcuTek that will help ensure everything is running properly and I'm making the most performance for my $. Harder to do that with a JB4. I literally check this forum and a couple of BMW forums daily waiting for someone to say the ECU has been cracked Lol.
I've checked some usual sources, but I haven't even seen anyone mention they are working on this recently. Wondering if they've given up based on the level of encryption.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
JT; 1290SAR
Completely obliterated YouTube in one sentence:lol:
At this point, I'm considering a JB4 as a stopgap solution but I think the jury is out on whether it delivers worthwhile gains for a 2021 on 93 pump gas. I feel like I've seen very strong numbers for 2020s but very little for the 2021s.
it gets hyper annoying doesnt it? “Bruh check out my new free t00n from my n00 t00nur!! Go buy this t00n from this t00ner that im going to plug over and over!” They dont even know what went into it. ??‍♂

at any rate. I hope the jb4 works out for you. Hopefully the piggy back teams like bms figure out ways to bundle their systems to things like the gc and p800.

in getting more info on what bosch did to the ecu, i dont expect it to be cracked anytime soon. Dinan will get the ability to tune the bmw’s a little and probably apr for audi, but id be surprised if the aftermarket cracks in soon. Hopefully im wrong.

I waiting to see how the new z car pans out and then decide.

max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
Oh yeah, no doubt I came in as a newbie to tuning. I have a shop I work with and they are installers and have done JB4 installs before but they definitely are pro's in the sense that they are going to sit there with me and help with my log
That is a good resource to have no doubt. A lot of folks won't bother trying to understand what is going on with their logs and those are the ones that usually have "bad" days with the product. It is NOT a true substitute for an "actual" tune but can kind of bridge the gap a little especially with the current situation with the locked ECU's. I can't speak to particular turbo mods but I do know that the jb4 can compensate for upgrades to turbo, intakes, exhaust, etc.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
JT; 1290SAR
That is a good resource to have no doubt. A lot of folks won't bother trying to understand what is going on with their logs and those are the ones that usually have "bad" days with the product. It is NOT a true substitute for an "actual" tune but can kind of bridge the gap a little especially with the current situation with the locked ECU's. I can't speak to particular turbo mods but I do know that the jb4 can compensate for upgrades to turbo, intakes, exhaust, etc.
im not familiar enough with how the jb4 works to know. Never used one. Bms told me it wouldnt work for a turbo upgrade. What have you found?

max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
What have you found?
Probably no more than you have. There a couple of guys on the other threads that have used the jb4 alongside ECU tuning mainly for logs and other data that would require a dyno run to observe.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
JT; 1290SAR
Any news on the 21's being broken into?
highly unlikely to happen in the foreseeable future. Ive heard from a source of mine they used an asymmetric key/256bit encryption on the processor itself. If that is indeed true, theres literally no way to brute force that open. None. Im guessing Dinan will get the keys for BMW and a stage 1 type tune; and APR for the VAG crew. Everyone else is fucked.

tuning companies are going to have to find a way to connect a new box to various parts of the harness, or inline between the ecu box and ecu cables, and put the tuning on that way and placate the factory ecu. Or make a new ecu that controls all the various functions etc.

Last edited:
First Name
Jesus
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 3.0
highly unlikely to happen in the foreseeable future. Ive heard from a source of mine they used an asymmetric key/256bit encryption on the processor itself. If that is indeed true, theres literally no way to brute force that open. None. Im guessing Dinan will get the keys for BMW and a stage 1 type tune; and APR for the VAG crew. Everyone else is fucked.

tuning companies are going to have to find a way to connect a new box to various parts of the harness, or inline between the ecu box and ecu cables, and put the tuning on that way and placate the factory ecu. Or make a new ecu that controls all the various functions etc.
Didn’t they already tuned a locked ecu one ? On April 1st on Facebook they said they cracked it but no news since then think they were messing with us

JWC67896

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction, 2004 Silverado 2500HD, 2004 Scion Xb, 2019 Jeep MOAB
from what i gathered from botti they are working on it and it is a matter of time. when is unknown but he was optimistic on the progress. the guy whom posted the screen shot is the person who is reverse engineering the system. so time will tell i have a jb4 for the time being but ecutek once i can