A91 & Recent 2021 Impossible to Tune / ECU manufactured after 2020/6 is locked? [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
JT; 1290SAR
Nothing would make me happier than being wrong about this.

max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
highly unlikely to happen in the foreseeable future. Ive heard from a source of mine they used an asymmetric key/256bit encryption on the processor itself.
If any of that statement is true, sorry 2021 folks, ain't gonna happen without some "inside help" from Bosch.

Coming from the "IT" world, if someone says they just about have it cracked, I damn sure wouldn't let them tune my car don't care how "reputable' they say they are. I would also be on the lookout for ECU's from other sources that have been programmed to "mimic" the Supra. This would be more of a possiblity than cracking the OEM ECU's........

Nope

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra
highly unlikely to happen in the foreseeable future. Ive heard from a source of mine they used an asymmetric key/256bit encryption on the processor itself. If that is indeed true, theres literally no way to brute force that open. None. Im guessing Dinan will get the keys for BMW and a stage 1 type tune; and APR for the VAG crew. Everyone else is fucked.

tuning companies are going to have to find a way to connect a new box to various parts of the harness, or inline between the ecu box and ecu cables, and put the tuning on that way and placate the factory ecu. Or make a new ecu that controls all the various functions etc.
So... its a block chain/ proof of work style encryption on an ASIC chip? I have about 3 T-hash of useless SHA256 miners if anyone wants to write an algorithm mining pool for me to point them at.

Nope

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra
So... its a block chain/ proof of work style encryption on an ASIC chip? I have about 3 T-hash of useless SHA256 miners if anyone wants to write an algorithm mining pool for me to point them at.
FCA has been using this style of encryption for years btw. The WiTech program literally says verifying block chain during factory updates and ecu recalls. Diablosport has been bench unlocking those same ECUs for years as well.

max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
Them and how many "CRAY" computers?

max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
Diablosport has been bench unlocking those same ECUs for years as well.
...and how much $$$$$ will the "insiders from Bosch" cost?:)

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
JT; 1290SAR
If any of that statement is true, sorry 2021 folks, ain't gonna happen without some "inside help" from Bosch.

Coming from the "IT" world, if someone says they just about have it cracked, I damn sure wouldn't let them tune my car don't care how "reputable' they say they are. I would also be on the lookout for ECU's from other sources that have been programmed to "mimic" the Supra. This would be more of a possiblity than cracking the OEM ECU's........
it would mean not just inside bosch. But inside the encryption team.

i want to stress i have not personally seen the encryption. It came from someone i know who does some work for bosch, and even he stated flat out he had not seen it. It was just what he had heard around the shop, and that the information seemed more protected than usual to the point he didnt feel comfortable asking questions.

again, i hope this all gets proven to be nothing more than rumor; and that the fb post on 1 april wasnt an april fools day gag.

Nope

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra
Them and how many "CRAY" computers?
I haven't heard that term since high-school. Please remove yourself from my presence. I am offended by your mere existence XD. But nah I have a few bitcoin miners from a few years back that are now obsolete... kinda just sitting in a closet. BTC is also a SHA256 algorithm. So if we can come up with a program to solve for keys then great we can literally mine for them. Unless it's set up like a block chain. Where each key is coded to a specific block along it and each block corresponds to a different ECU. That would make things borderline impossible without theft of the keys from whatever data center they're stored in. And brute forcing the ECU with every single key till you get a match.

Kris9884

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
First note, I have no idea what it takes to tune a car and have no doubt this was already thought of BUT, if a 2020 ECU can be completely tuned, what's stopping anyone from swapping in a 2020 ECU and begin tuning for the compression and exhaust changes? It wouldn't be plug and play but surely it would have a shoe in compared to a complete stand alone like AEM, Megasquirt, Halltech etc.

BMW_YOTA

First Name
joey
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra GR
I'm feeling super discouraged with this information. Makes me want to rid my Supra. Though I love it but if it's not tunable I have a big issue with that.

antonio88x

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium (mine), 2018 CX-5 GT (wife's)
I'm feeling super discouraged with this information. Makes me want to rid my Supra. Though I love it but if it's not tunable I have a big issue with that.
Why? The Supra is still an awesome car stock. Mine isn't even modified and idk where I would even use more power. Unless it's necessary for you to tune it to feel like you'd be able to enjoy it. What would you get instead? Idk what I would want other than the Supra at this point.

BMW_YOTA

First Name
joey
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra GR
Why? The Supra is still an awesome car stock. Mine isn't even modified and idk where I would even use more power. Unless it's necessary for you to tune it to feel like you'd be able to enjoy it. What would you get instead? Idk what I would want other than the Supra at this point.
For one, it will devalue the car since it's not tunable. Less people will want to buy this car because of this. 20 Supra's will sky rocket in price. If you're ok with 385HP cool. But for me I want more power. The car is beautiful, power is OK but being restricted just doesn't sit right with me. Especially, that the motor could make so much more power. For people like yourself, I guess it's fine. Not being able to track this car will be detrimental.