A91 & Recent 2021 Impossible to Tune / ECU manufactured after 2020/6 is locked? [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Andrew4Supra

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 / 2018 Mercedes GLC43 / 2016 VW GTI
Yeah right now electric vehicles are way way to expensive. Plus our electric grid needs a major overhaul to handle millions of them charging all at the same time.
~ back on topic please... tuning a 2021 Supra ?

Sigg

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Mk5,Supra 2018 KTM SuperDuke, 21 sienna plat
Sad day, double checked my ECU date vs build date and it's 7/20, 7/20. Just waiting...hopefully it's cracked soon.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
JT; 1290SAR
Someone should make sure motec usa in nc is tracking this. This situation is a perfect example of the value of a unit that can replace the factory ecu

max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
called it
From the MOTEC site product description: Quote: "This kit is designed to run as a piggy back system alongside your stock ECU."

Same as the others but a rather EXPENSIVE version.........a piggyback.;)

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
JT; 1290SAR
From the MOTEC site product description: Quote: "This kit is designed to run as a piggy back system alongside your stock ECU."

Same as the others but a rather EXPENSIVE version.........a piggyback.;)
but when it has more processing power than your bosch dme, isnt bound by a locked ecu, and has the ability to keep it in check- itā€™s your best option.....

there are piggy backs and there are piggy backs. given that motec can control all dme functions, with a higher data logging and processing rate, youll be able to get a better tune on that than you can an unlocked bosch.

max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
Got it....still rather EXPENSIVE for not actually updating the ECU.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
JT; 1290SAR
Got it....still rather EXPENSIVE for not actually updating the ECU.
motec is a higher power processing unit That allows better tuning. assuming you can afford either; why does that matter? And in any case, your option for a A91 is a high powered stand alone or a jb4.....theres no comparison between the two. One is a piggy back that adjusts boost targets. The other is a piggy back that functions like a stand alone.....

black_sedan

First Name
BR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 Supra, Ford Raptor
motec is a higher power processing unit That allows better tuning. assuming you can afford either; why does that matter? And in any case, your option for a A91 is a high powered stand alone or a jb4.....theres no comparison between the two. One is a piggy back that adjusts boost targets. The other is a piggy back that functions like a stand alone.....
im thinking this motec unit is just to control additional controllers for P/I or meth. Interested to see this unit in action if it can control flex fuel and P/I. Even if you were to buy the Visconti FF kit and Reflex controller thats already $2500 so maybe $5k doesnt sound that bad

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
JT; 1290SAR
im thinking this motec unit is just to control additional controllers for P/I or meth. Interested to see this unit in action if it can control flex fuel and P/I. Even if you were to buy the Visconti FF kit and Reflex controller thats already $2500 so maybe $5k doesnt sound that bad
im not entirely sure what the capabilities will be, just see the direction things are going.

i will confess that if at $5k if all it does is meth or p/i; that would be a disappointment.....but the motec ecu replacement style ecu or complex piggy backs is how things will go as asymmetric encryptions goes to ecuā€™s.

given that it stipulates it controls boost, Iā€™m optimistic. They may say later it is for a stand alone solenoid, but ive previously seen that as ā€œboost solenoid controlā€...so again, optimistic, but the big question will be stock fuel system control and ignition timing...

Last edited:
Reactions: max

swift.mk5

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 3.0 Supra Premium
im not entirely sure what the capabilities will be, just see the direction things are going.

i will confess that if at $5k if all it does is meth or p/i; that would be a disappointment.....but the motec ecu replacement style ecu or complex piggy backs is how things will go as asymmetric encryptions goes to ecuā€™s.

given that it stipulates it controls boost, Iā€™m optimistic. They may say later it is for a stand alone solenoid, but ive previously seen that as ā€œboost solenoid controlā€...so again, optimistic, but the big question will be stock fuel system control and ignition timing...
I can't wait for all the smart people like you to get this all figured out and just tell me what to buy in a couple weeks/months :)

I just want to throw in a moderately bigger turbo, catted DP, and supporting mods and call it a day.